Thread: Zafon, Carlos Ruiz: Shadow of the Wind

Zafon, Carlos Ruiz: Shadow of the Wind

"Every book, every volume has a soul. The soul of the person who wrote it, and of those who read it and lived and dreamed with it. Every time a book changes hands, every time someone runs his eyes down its page, its spirit grows and strengthens." ~ Carlos Ruiz Zafon

This is a great mystery set in post-war Barcelona. The characters are rich and unforgettable. Hard to put down, the literary references in it could easily provide you with a year's worth of reading...

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I read it over a year ago and thought it was a wonderful novel! I loved the fact that it was a book about books...what about you?
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

Reading it now and finding it hard to put down. I went to Barcelona in 2004 and I am familiar with many of the places mentioned in the book. I especially like Fermin, but all the characters seem to leap off the page.

I am reading it now and enjoying every second of it!!! Though I can't really decide what makes it so great. The characters? the mystery?

I just finished reading it and enjoyed it thoroughly. I loved the twists and turns, though I did figure out who that charred man was early on, the story kept me hooked. I found the Daniel/Julian parallel intriguing. Also intertesting to see which books the author listed throughout, perhaps a raodmap of his tastes that lead to his own love of books. I think I know how I'm going to spend the summer, at times it's nice to read beyond the best seller's list Here's a list of most of the novels mentioned throughout Shadows :

The Aeneid by Virgil
    Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
    Hamlet by William Shakespeare
    Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
    Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw
    The Complete Stories by Franz Kafka
    Theological-Political Treatise: by Benedictus de Spinoza
    Pepita Jimenez, A Happy Boy, Skipper Worse by Bjornstjerne Bjornson, Alexander L. Kielland Juan Valera
    The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri
    Nana by Émile Zola
    The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse by Vicente Blasco Ibanez
    Sandokan: The Pirates of Malaysia by Emilio Salgari
    The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne
    The End of the Affair by Graham Greene
    Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
    Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson
    Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
    La Dame aux Camelias by Alexandre Dumas
    Candide by Voltaire

I think it's time I picked up Hugo's Les Miserables, I've never read any of his works even though he's inspired several of my favourite writers, including Verne and Dumas.

I have Shadow of The Wind on my big pile of books that I havent read yet. I might read that next, although im ashamed to say i was put off by the list of books that are mentioned as it contains Tess and that book still haunts me today, yuk! Thats all I have to say on that book!
    "As half thy love? Why dost not speak to me?" Marcus Andronicus

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Kara I am glad you finished it! It was an awesome read and I am happy you enjoyed it.

It was easy to figure out who the charred man was, but you know, I don't think that made the novel any more predictable or any less surprising.

I didn't think that Zafon referenced so many other novels in this one. That's great that you came up with a list.
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

Yes, it was easy to figure out who the charred man was, but you're right, it didn't detract from the story. I enjoyed Fermin's bits of wisdom (my favourite character) and I love the cemetary of lost books.

Elinor, don't be put off by the list of books, they're never discussed in any great detail... most are mentioned in passing, the father and son characters sell old books. I was happy to see Verne, Salgari, Dumas and Stevenson mentioned, some of my favourite childhood books. I've never read any Hugo, I'm going to try to make time to read Les Mis this summer

Tess was pulled from the 'Cemetary of Books' and the line is something like: "You're actually brave enough to try Hardy in the original English?"

I can pretty much guarantee you'll enjoy it, it speeds along from the first page

Currently reading:
    Reading Lolita in Tehran - Azar Nafisi