Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your guilty pleasure of reading?

Banned
    Blog Entries

What is your guilty pleasure of reading?

I'm sure we all have that author that you read more as a guilty pleasure and not because they are terribly talented. For me it is Laurell K Hamilton. I started her Anita Blake series years ago and I've been reading it ever since. I own all but the last two books, or so. Even though the series isn't as good as it once was, I still eagerly await the time when a new one releases and I can check it out of the library. It is like I'm hooked and can't shake wanting to read them even though I don't like where the books have gone. I have this need to know what is going on with the characters that were some of my favorite in just that fun reading category for years and I look for signs that some semblance of my beloved characters will return. The most recent book gave me hope that maybe the series is on the mend, but it is still an indulgence, like watching Jerry Springer. So what it your guilty pleasure in reading?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    A little embarassed about the typo in the thread title sorry all

Blog Entries
    Err...ummm probably girly novels..not romance but the ones about girls trying to fall in love and meet funny people and do funny stuff...and yeah...they are funny.

I think the books I've read that have filled me with the most guilt and shame are the Outlander books by Diana Gabaldon. My sister presented them to me as historical fiction, she was so insistent that I read them that she bought, what was at the time, the entire series for me. I read about a fourth of the way through the first one and informed her that what they were were romance novels maskerading as historical fiction but yet I read all 6 books. In my defense, I haven't bought any of the books that have come out since I read those first 6 so I think of my interest in them as very passive, to the point where I don't even have to accept responsibility for it.
    the luminous grass of the prairie hides
    feet lovely and still as sleeping doves,
    porcelain bones strong enough to carry a life,
    but weighty and unmovable
    As black Dakota hills.
    ~ Riesa

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=mkhockenberry;402521] Laurell K Hamilton. QUOTE]

Me too, her books are all hidden under my bed and on the underwear drawers because if my parents see me with them they'd kill me.

My other guilty pleasure is reading Yaoi-manga and yuri as well. Oh god, this is so embarrasing.
    Shall these bones live?

Angélique series by Sergeanne Golon
    Little Lotte thought of everything and nothing. Her hair was golden as the sun's rays and her soul as clear and blue as her eyes.
    Gaston Leroux - The Phantom of the Opera

Banned
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Bakiryu;402538]
    Quote Originally Posted by mkhockenberry View Post
    Laurell K Hamilton. QUOTE]

Me too, her books are all hidden under my bed and on the underwear drawers because if my parents see me with them they'd kill me.

My other guilty pleasure is reading Yaoi-manga and yuri as well. Oh god, this is so embarrasing.
    So glad I'm not the only one.

For me, it is the Doctor Who series. Everyone thinks they are weird, but : i love them

I controls the spice! princesspoppi's Avatar
    I love the Diana Gabaldon novels! True, they are not displayed in public sight, but i can read them over and over - .....jamie is hot
    There are only two ways to live your life.
    One is as though nothing is a miracle.
    The other is as if everything is.
    - Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    Cheesy horror novels...I can't think of any particular author, but usually the type of book you can buy at the supermarket checkout aisle, nestled next to the terribly cheesy tabloids. The covers are usually black and glossy with the title written in a "dripping" blood font.

Oh, that reminds me....I like the terribly cheesy tabloid the Weekly World News which isn't a celebrity gossip rag (that's boring) but instead is filled with stories of enormously obese cats, Yetis living in Brooklyn and the ever popular aliens who have come to Earth to kidnap enormously obese cats and Yetis.
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    Douglas Adams

"Frivolity is a stern taskmaster."
    Zippy the Pinhead

~Posting images tutorial~

My guilty pleasure would have to be Harry Potter. J. K. Rowling's writing doesn't impress me that much, I don't really think she has decent character development, but despite that, I like reading her the books from time to time. It's a nice departure from reading good books with an involving storyline. ^_^

Lover of all things epic
    Anything by Tami Hoag
    Also any generally trashy crime novels that I can read in a day. Great stuff.
    "Haunt me, take any form. Only, do not leave me in this abyss where I cannot find you."

now then ;)
    Blog Entries
    I dont see anything I read as a guilty pleasure. A lot of what I read may not be thought of as having literary merit, but I read for the story and as a result dont care.
    There once was a scotsman named Drew
    Who put too much wine in his stew
    He felt a bit drunk
    And fell off his bunk
    And landed smack into his shoe
    ~(C) Ms Niamh Anne King

Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series...and as Kathy reported...Cheesy horror novels.
    "I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death"-anon

I ain't guilty of any of the book I have read because I enjoy them. But if you mean the bad literature that I enjoy? Which I myself find critisizing yet read it. Where there are many loop holes in the stories. Then such are digests my mother brings home (I mostly read digests only in Urdu). Most of the stories are a real mess there. Most of them are romantic stories with no real plot and no interesting characters. The hero is having a problem with the world. So does heroine. They start loving each other, want to marry each other but someone intervenes. They solve that problem, and marry each other. Now the world is a perfect place for them. This is nearly always the story. If the plot is not too good, and the way it's written is nice, one can say that oh it was a good tale. But what shall we do when the way of writing is also not too good?

I read them the day when Mother brings them usually despite of all these things. Though, seriously, in my mind I am making fun of some of the stories and imagining funnily what happens next. And I often find myself asking this question why do I read them? Then the answer comes in my mind because they are short stories and in my own languages. Secondly, because they seriously make me laugh. It's also easy to concentrate on them. It has been always my habit to read mostly the Urdu book which is at home at the very moment it's brought. Oh well, some of the stories in those digests turn out to be of a different theme and are very good. But they are only 'some'.

Other than that I read/have read children literature in Urdu a lot, still some Urdu children magazines are brought in my home by me. Some of them are also not at all good, just based on the old themes while others turn out to be very good. But I read them all. Wouldn't call that bad literature overall.

*edit to add*

As for the novels, I think I have read a very few badly-written novels. In short stories, I don't care much if the writing is bad, but when it comes to a novel I don't find this bearable. That's also a reason why I can't read most romance novels, in English as well as Urdu.
    Last edited by Pensive; 06-29-2007 at 04:14 PM.
    I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew.

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast