Thread: Are Sydney Carton and Charles Darnay cousins?

Are Sydney Carton and Charles Darnay cousins?

It seems to me that Dickens wanted to imply that Darnay and Carton were the two sons of twin brothers Evremonde. What other reason would there be for Dickens describing that Darnay and Carton look so much alike, and also that Charles Darnay's father was an identical twin?? I haven't heard anyone bring this up, but I've only done a quick searching online, and at Cliff and Sparks notes. Has this ever been looked at and does anyone know where I could go to see other writing on this subject? Also, it is said that Carton is a Christ figure, but he is beheaded like John the Baptist. To continue this comparison of Carton to John the Baptist, Carton feels unworthy in comparison to his friend Darnay, just as John the Baptist tells everyone that he is not even worthy to tie the straps on the sandals of One who is to come (Jesus). Also, aren't John the Baptist and Jesus cousins? Then it all fits. Darnay and Carton are cousins too in my opinion.
    Last edited by SueDoeNim; 06-18-2007 at 12:23 AM. Reason: another thought

Two plus two is CHICKEN!! Weisinheimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    hmm, I don't think they're cousins. Carton is English, and Darnay is French.

Quote Originally Posted by SueDoeNim View Post
    Also, aren't John the Baptist and Jesus cousins? Then it all fits. Darnay and Carton are cousins too in my opinion.
    So, you're saying that Darnay is a Christ figure?
    Calvin: You can’t just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.

Hobbes: What mood is that?

Calvin: Last-minute panic.

I don't think that they are related. I am re reading it, so if I find proof otherwise, I will let you know.

Keep in mind that it has been a few years since I read this, but I don't remember there being a place where Carton said he felt unworthy compared to Darney. Perhaps he wouldn't be the perfect husband due to his alcoholism, but I don't think that he, himself, felt he was inferior.

I also think that Carton's death was more an act of extreme love, than a reference to Jesus. Besides, he had no hope of Lucy loving him, so why live? You know?

some people just look very similiar.

i think your reading into it a bit too much.

although there are many references to the bible in the book, the text was not meant to be so deeply involved in religion. Dickens aim was more to give a political warning during the industrial revolution than the appropriation of the bible.

many elements of the bible are used, however, in the portrayal of the sacrificial and redemptive characters, but have been broken down into pieces whereas Jesus was, of coarse, one man. the value of sacrifice and all that is used as well, but i really dont want to go into that...

so id just say some people just look very similiar.

Although it's a while and I don't recall these references, one reason might be that it is nothing more complicated than it is the explanation for why Carton is able to take the place of Darney in gaol.

As for Charles Darnay's father being a twin ... it might just be an idea of Dickens that never went anywhere, although I would have to reread the novel to have a more complete opinion.

Lightbulb But, Carton is French....

I just listened to the audiotape of the book. Carton has an encounter with the "mender of roads" in which he reveals that he is French. Also, when he goes to the wine shop to figure out what Mme. Defarge & Co. are up to, he eavesdrops, pretending he can't understand any French.

I was paying attention through the whole book, expecting to find out that Carton and Darnay were separated at birth, but Dickens never elaborates on this point. Still, I think they were indeed cousins.

I think they were related too, and I was expecting to find this out at the end of the book. It says that Carton's mother died when she was young, and that he was at his father's funeral, so he was either raised by someone who wasn't really he father, or his real father was not Darnay's uncle. The woman who was raped by the uncle and died at the house was said to have an unborn child, but maybe she had already given birth? I haven't been able to find out anything else about this point.

I don't think they were related. I just don't. Carton's English, Darnay's French. Besides, I think that Carton felt inferior because, even though I love him to death, the guy's clinically depressed. And I don't see how Darnay is a Christ-figure. And I mean, Carton can be a Christ-figure, even if he's not crucified. I mean, it would be wildly anachronistic if he were crucified, and the important thing of Christ's death is that he died, not the actual crucifixion, so I think it doesn't matter how a Christ-figure dies.

I was wondering if anyone has considered that Carton was Darnays father.
    I thought it was possible.. I don't think it ever says what happens to the other brother
    Alcoholism caused by depression from the farm house.
    His final thoughts at the end of the book.
    Am I totally wrong or has someone else thought this?