Thread: Looking for soul dragging something heavy

Looking for soul dragging something heavy

I have a dim recollection that somewhere in the Inferno there is a soul who drags a huge weight, perhaps chained to his ankles but I am not sure. Anyone got an idea who I'm thinking of and what it is he is dragging?

Er I think it is the Greek guy who fed his sons to the gods. Can't remember his name though, but according to mythology he drags a bolder up a hill every day, only to have it fall right when he nears the top.

Hi, JBI...
    Ackshully that was Sysiphus--I'm sure I've spelled that wrong. Unfortunately he pushed the boulder, I believe, and I need the dragger. 8=]

Blog Entries
    That does sound familar, I will go check my book, as I can see that very well in my mind, but cannot immideately recollect who it was, but I will have a look and get back to you on the subject if I am able to find it.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

I don't think there are souls dragging stones in the Divine Comedy... maybe you're mistaking with Sisiphus, forom the greek mythology... ore maybe you meant the proud in the Purgatorio, that are forced to lift stones...
    I checked the Inferno: in the VII Canto the greed are pushing stones with the chest.
    Last edited by ilTozzo; 03-29-2009 at 01:57 PM.

aspiring Arthurianist Wilde woman's Avatar
    Yes, that's right. Sisyphus, who is supposed to be punished in Tarturus by pushing a huge rock forever up a hill, does not make an appearance in Inferno.

You're thinking of canto VII, the fourth circle of the avaricious and prodigal, where the two sets of sinners push heavy circular stone wheels in circles. And when the an avaricious sinner meets a prodigal sinner at the midpoint of the circle, they exchange choice words.

Here's a brief summary: http://www.shmoop.com/event/literatu...nd-sullen.html