Thread: Paying Calls-Thomas Hardy

Unhappy Paying Calls-Thomas Hardy

I need information on the poem Paying Calls by Thomas Hardy. I'd like a critical account of the poem.

Information about Paying calls

I can give you my account - it's about age, and the distance between people, and the journey in life, and the choices that matter. The Spoke not to me though, at the end, is quite egotistical, saying that they had nothing to say and he did.

In other words, Hardy says he is better than his friends, because he has that which to tell, whereas they have nothing, or have no desire to talk.

The central point is that he:

went by footpath and by stile
    Beyond where bustle ends,
    Strayed here a mile and there a mile

Yet they did not. He has what to talk about, he went beyond, and transcended himself, whereas they didn't. They part, he improves himself, has a successful career, has a large reputation, whereas they confound themselves to indoors, led simple lives, and now have nothing to tell. The poem is therefore cynical in the sense that it suggests they somehow had worse lives than he did, or wasted their time.
    Last edited by JBI; 11-07-2008 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Naadhi View Post
    I need information on the poem Paying Calls by Thomas Hardy. I'd like a critical account of the poem.
    I've only just found this thread, so maybe I'm too late for either of the original posters to see my remarks.

Naadhi, I'm surprised that you didn't say why you needed this information, this critical account (or indeed why you didn't say "please"). Is it that you have an assignment for school, perhaps, but haven't done the work?

JBI, I read what you say, but I think you've completely missed the point. Hardy's friends in the poem, each and every one of them, are dead. Hardy is visiting them in their graves -- no wonder they don't have much to say. Yes, it's a poem about age, and the journey through life. But the poet has outlasted them all, and is left alone in his old age. Furthermore, Hardy is probably the last English writer I'd ever want to call egotistical. Just read through the poem again, with what I say above in mind, and I bet you'll find it a far more rewarding experience. But (especially if you're getting on in years yourself) it'll probably make you weep.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wordspace View Post

JBI, I read what you say,...Hardy's friends in the poem, each and every one of them, are dead. Hardy is visiting them in their graves -- no wonder they don't have much to say.
    Last edited by Michael T; 05-05-2009 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Naadhi View Post
    .I want a short note from this poem.

Quote Originally Posted by Osuri Dunuwila View Post
    .I want a short note from this poem.
    Yes? Well the poem is out there on the internet. You know what it's called. So go out and get your short note. But don't expect others to do the work for you, please.

Smile Requesting information on the poem paying calls

Hello everybody,I need information on the poem Paying Calls by Thomas Hardy. I'd like a critical account of the poem.Iwish you all to take the maximum use of this club.
    Thank you,
    Nirmani.

The poem has, as its theme the nostalgia or yearning for old relationships – oldfriendships, which are no more because of the intervention of death. The poet is weigheddown by reminiscence and sadness. The title Paying Calls introduces a casual note to thepoem. The poem moves on this casual note. The poet fancifully “visits” old friends andacquaintances that are no longer alive in various places that were popular with them inthe countryside. It is midsummer - warm and inviting for country walks – and the poetstrays far and wide (strayed here a mile and there a mile) remembering them, looking forthem. But curiously, although the air was tempting, no one had moved out from “Home”.Home is associated with natural haunts – “mound and stone and tree” and the readercomes to the shocking realization that the poet is not talking about living friends butabout those who are gone – those who have left this life. The charm of the poem or itsintricacy is in the two levels of meaning that the poet creates, through the very casualtone. The poet is doing something very ‘usual’, very ‘routine’– calling on friends. At theend, the reader realizes, it is no casual call, but a preoccupation with the past, with death.“They spoke not to me” gives the clue to understanding the poem

Thumbs up this would help u

The poem has, as its theme the nostalgia or yearning for old relationships – oldfriendships, which are no more because of the intervention of death. The poet is weigheddown by reminiscence and sadness. The title Paying Calls introduces a casual note to thepoem. The poem moves on this casual note. The poet fancifully “visits” old friends andacquaintances that are no longer alive in various places that were popular with them inthe countryside. It is midsummer - warm and inviting for country walks – and the poetstrays far and wide (strayed here a mile and there a mile) remembering them, looking forthem. But curiously, although the air was tempting, no one had moved out from “Home”.Home is associated with natural haunts – “mound and stone and tree” and the readercomes to the shocking realization that the poet is not talking about living friends butabout those who are gone – those who have left this life. The charm of the poem or itsintricacy is in the two levels of meaning that the poet creates, through the very casualtone. The poet is doing something very ‘usual’, very ‘routine’– calling on friends. At theend, the reader realizes, it is no casual call, but a preoccupation with the past, with death.“They spoke not to me” gives the clue to understanding the poem.
    Last edited by zee94; 10-18-2011 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nirmani View Post
    Hello everybody,I need information on the poem Paying Calls by Thomas Hardy. I'd like a critical account of the poem.Iwish you all to take the maximum use of this club.
    Thank you,
    Nirmani.
    The poem has, as its theme the nostalgia or yearning for old relationships – oldfriendships, which are no more because of the intervention of death. The poet is weigheddown by reminiscence and sadness. The title Paying Calls introduces a casual note to thepoem. The poem moves on this casual note. The poet fancifully “visits” old friends andacquaintances that are no longer alive in various places that were popular with them inthe countryside. It is midsummer - warm and inviting for country walks – and the poetstrays far and wide (strayed here a mile and there a mile) remembering them, looking forthem. But curiously, although the air was tempting, no one had moved out from “Home”.Home is associated with natural haunts – “mound and stone and tree” and the readercomes to the shocking realization that the poet is not talking about living friends butabout those who are gone – those who have left this life. The charm of the poem or itsintricacy is in the two levels of meaning that the poet creates, through the very casualtone. The poet is doing something very ‘usual’, very ‘routine’– calling on friends. At theend, the reader realizes, it is no casual call, but a preoccupation with the past, with death.“They spoke not to me” gives the clue to understanding the poem.