Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: D.H.Lawrence ~ The Tortoise Poems

Blog Entries
    Dark Muse and Virgil....haha...seems I only have to post and comment and your two arrive. I must have the magic touchtonight. Glad you two are game. We can go from where we left off. Let me review it tomorrow and see if it is time to post anymore of the poem; meanwhile, someone might want to comment on my post #146....please...someone....anyone....
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    I found this stanza more serious and more self-pitying in a way.
    I did not really get that impression. I felt the use of langauge kept up the slightly humurous tone of the poem.

contrasting her "laconic eye" with "an earthy, materialsitic look" with "His, poor darling, is almost fiery."...very curious words Lawrence uses here....what exactly do you think he means by her 'laconic eye' and his being 'almost firery'?
    I think it is a way that contrasts there two personsalites. I see her as being rather slow and lazy, with all her eating. While with the use of the word "firey" he seems to appear to be more high-strung, and anxious. He seems almost more frantic, while she is very slow, and low key.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before. ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Blog Entries
    I found this stanza more serious and more self-pitying in a way, contrasting her "laconic eye" with "an earthy, materialsitic look" with "His, poor darling, is almost fiery."...very curious words Lawrence uses here....what exactly do you think he means by her 'laconic eye' and his being 'almost firery'?
    Yes I agree it gets more serious now.

I count 6 times the repeated word 'his' in that stanza, sandwiched between the two lone references to the female - 'Her' and 'she' - first and last line. Interesting use of repetition to set up a rhythm and make his point about the male's weakness in relation to the power of the female tortoise.
    What do you think the effect is of the repetitions? I don't think it's just for emphasis, though it's that too.

Then he goes onto put further emphasis on the word 'striving',
    'striving' being repeated 3 times, before the admission that he is " more delicate than she". Interesting discribing mostly the male in that stanza, but ending with 'she.'
    I think the repetition of "his" coordinates with the repetition of "striving." I think the lines just move with the slow ponderous walk of a tortoise.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Glad to see you two back! I will be back tomorrow to comment on your posts. Too tired out now.....

shockingly starkly reminds one of slow and steady and winning and race and I feel hope and pity and awe and relief. in the context of the baby tort as a potentially fragile newborn, pure and uncorrupted and potentially vulnerable, I both marvel at all that virginity, naivety and purety, but given what I perceive regarding the longevity, steadfastness, disciplined dogedness, and perhaps arrogance, of tortoises, this poem, without reading it, must be a celebration of the diversity of life, the rejection of competition, the foolishness of panic, the bliss of ignorance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredoldunit View Post
    shockingly starkly reminds one of slow and steady and winning and race and I feel hope and pity and awe and relief. in the context of the baby tort as a potentially fragile newborn, pure and uncorrupted and potentially vulnerable, I both marvel at all that virginity, naivety and purety, but given what I perceive regarding the longevity, steadfastness, disciplined dogedness, and perhaps arrogance, of tortoises, this poem, without reading it, must be a celebration of the diversity of life, the rejection of competition, the foolishness of panic, the bliss of ignorance.
    Hi scaredoldunit, I see you are a new member. Welcome to the forum. Are you a Lawrence enthusiast? Before I answer the above, are you referring to the first poem we discussed of this series - "Baby Tortoise"? I posted a few times in this thread that Lawrence wrote this series of poems each representing different stages in life. We are currently on one near to the end of the series, but I would be glad to discuss with you the earlier "Baby Tortoise" if you so please. Also, it would benefit you to go back and read that first discussion on that particular poem. It is quite informative/enlightening, I believe.

The one we are currently discussing we are nearly done and it involves middle aged years. Soon we will start a new poem - it maybe the last in the series. I will have to check my references on that.

late but unique

sometimes tardiness is judged to be weak, from what i've witnessed sure patience is sleek, designed for efficient avoidance of leaking, leaks are unsound not in line with our thinking,

time is the tyrant like thurston has said, thankful for rules without which all is dead. dead ain't no problem as much as it's true, truth's not so bad if you don't need no proof, points are cooridinates lost it is sure, nowhere is lost and right here to be sure, things that define themselves are quite a trip, finding it hard to evade their own grip?

Essence and purety cannot be taught, more slanted toward instinct, most wisely sought are the things that can point us towards faith thus from mind, difficult it is and ending to find.

Blog Entries
    scaredoldunit, excuse me for asking, but what does your poem have to do with this discussion on the Tortoise poem "Lui et Elle"? This is one in Lawrence's series on the cycles of life, about the 'middle-aged' years. I am not sure I can see that relationship in your poem above. Can you explain? Maybe I have missed something.

We do need to get back to the basic discussion in this thread, of the current poem; partly this is my fault, for not posting another section of text to discuss. I have been sick, but this week, I will do so and hopefully those discussing it before, will return to finish up this poem; so we can proceed to the next poem in the series.

Suggestion: either post your poem in another thread of it's own or start a blog of your
    poems. Many people do so.

out of control

i'm purposely out of control and feel bad about corrupting your blog and it will end with this

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredoldunit View Post
    i'm purposely out of control and feel bad about corrupting your blog and it will end with this
    Ok, thanks and this is a thread discussion, not a personal blog.

Blog Entries
    I've been wondering what happened to this discussion on Lawrence's Tortoise poems. I was reminded of this discussion and the poems last night, when a huge turtle ventured into our yard and then headed down our driveway; no doubt, she was heading for the street, to lay her eggs somewhere over on the other side - dumb turtle. Now the poor babies will, no doubt, get flattened, unless they are really smart and make it across the street, when there is little traffic. At anyrate, it was so cool to observe this turtle up close. She was a snapper about 18" or more in length and about 13" across; she may have been even larger (I am just guessing). She was one of the largest and oldest I have seen around here. Also, the tail added an additional 8 or so inches to her length. Her head was massive and surely, did look like a prehistoric animal; so did her giant claws. We live with a pond directly behind our house/backyard; so without a doubt, she had ventured up under the cover of night to lay her eggs, as I said before. My mother just happened to put on side light on and saw her massive shape in our driveway; she called to me and I grabbed a flashlight. Wish now, I had tried to get a photo. It might have worked with a flash. I was impressed with how close to Lawrence's description the turtle was. I observed the pattern of block segments on it's back...so interesting; and the fringe of the shell with it's series of overlaping sections. Also, the shell looked leathery and old; even ancient, prehistoric - one had to marvel at nature's design and patterning; even the tail had patterns and looked like it had sort of dark/black claw-like protrusions and could be quite treacherous, if whipped around in the water. This turtle has been around for awhile. I wonder how many years she has been coming up on land to lay her eggs. I wonder how many children she has had all told; how many eggs she layed in her lifetime.

She poked her head out of her shell sheepishly and when I took a twig she didn't snap at it as I expected. She was more slow and dossal than I thought she would be. Finally, after standing there a good half hour she did venture to poke her head out and show her eyes wide open and also to show her sharp needlelike teeth; sort of threatening looking. My neighbor came up to view her too and see if we could divert her from going across the road. Apparently our diversion attempts did not do the trick and not long after she was gone; no doubt busy with the birth process.

Blog Entries
    Good idea Janine. Which poem are we up to? Cool story. It's nice to have a lake behind one's house.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Good idea Janine. Which poem are we up to? Cool story. It's nice to have a lake behind one's house.
    I will check tonight. I would be good to revive this thread and finish out this fine series of poems, don't you think? A little effort would do it and then I would not feel it's another of my loose ends. I am always running across the thread and thought now would be a good time to try and revive it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Thanks, Virgil, I really do wish I had run in the house for my camera. She was such a good specimen and a huge turtle. Would have been fun to post the photo in here.

Ok, I went back and reviewed. We are on "Lui Et Elle" of the tortoise poems. There are two remaining poems in this series. I found that I posted the first part of the poem on page #8 and one can find segments on page #9 and #10. I will post the remainder soon. It may have been my own fault, that this thread discussion twindled and faded into the background.

Thank you for sharing nice poem.There is a creative website that will help you to create a plaque with images of your choice and have it mounted along with the poem. Please check out: www.PlakYourPoem.com and be the giver and receiver of joy.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast