Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nietzsche

Nietzsche

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. "
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I know who, but where did he say that? Google wasn't too helpful.
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

Jenseits von Gut und Böse AKA Beyond Good and Evil

Can you please tell me on what page, if you know? I don't have english version of etext so I can't find it.

Thanks.
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

I was wrong. It's not there.

It's not in neither one of these:
    Also Sprach Zarathustra

The Antichrist

Beyond Good and Evil

Ecce Homo

Homer and Classical Philology

Thoughts out of Season, part 1,

Thus Spake Zarathustra
    A Book for All and None

We Philologists, Volume 8

Now it could be in Schopenhauer as Educator but I'm not sure anymore.

I’m sorry.

Banned
    I forgot where it is as well.

Thinking...thinking! dramasnot6's Avatar
    Hmmm..don't know but it is a good one.
    I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.

Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

He spoke quite a bit about loneliness and rising above the others in Thus Spoke Zarathustra if I recall, however, I'm not as educated on his work as I should be so that may have been a common topic for him.

Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure it is in Thus Spoke Zarathustra...I don't have my copy with me, but I'm pretty sure it is in it...

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Star View Post
    He spoke quite a bit about loneliness and rising above the others in Thus Spoke Zarathustra if I recall, however, I'm not as educated on his work as I should be so that may have been a common topic for him.
    Nietzsche wrote a large amount about rising above others. He argued that if the powerful cannot attain dominance in society, then they should seclude themselves from the stupidity of the crowd. In Beyond Good and Evil, he says "Every superior human yearns for a secret citadel where he is set free from the crowd. Where he may forget "men who are the rule," and be their exception. Anyone who, in intercourse with men, does not occasionally glisten green and grey with disgust and sympathy, is certainly no man of elevated tastes." This theme is also apparent in Thus Spoke Zarathustra when the prophet explains the idea of the Superman. And, it is easy to see how someone obsessed with transcending the ordinary person would find himself lonely. While Nietzsche himself was not able to express this loneliness, he praised it in other's works. For example, he lauded Wagner's music for its poignant rendering of isolation.
    "Par instants je suis le Pauvre Navire
    [...] Par instants je meurs la mort du Pecheur
    [...] O mais! par instants"

--"Birds in the Night" by Paul Verlaine (1844-1896). Join the discussion here: http://www.online-literature.com/for...5&goto=newpost

Quote Originally Posted by bazarov View Post
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. "
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I know who, but where did he say that? Google wasn't too helpful.
    I believe that's Twilight of the Idols. Maybe.
    Last edited by Quark; 06-25-2007 at 07:54 PM.
    "Par instants je suis le Pauvre Navire
    [...] Par instants je meurs la mort du Pecheur
    [...] O mais! par instants"

--"Birds in the Night" by Paul Verlaine (1844-1896). Join the discussion here: http://www.online-literature.com/for...5&goto=newpost

Quote Originally Posted by Quark View Post
    While Nietzsche himself was not able to express this loneliness, he praised it in other's works. For example, he lauded Wagner's music for its poignant rendering of isolation.
    This would explain his love of Dostoevsky's work. That man could certainly generate some characters who were profoundly lonely.

I quickly scanned through THE WILL TO POWER but couldn't find it. I'm almost certain it's in there.

Cheers,
    Jessica

It is undoubtedly a Nietzschean quote and in line with his views on 'the herd morality', as well as master/slave ressentiment.

Reportedly this quote comes via Rudyard Kipling and has been misappropriated for some time, which is terribly disappointing if true, as it is one of my favourite Friedrich quotes.

It is undoubtedly a Nietzschean quote and in line with his views on 'the herd morality', as well as master/slave ressentiment.

Reportedly this quote comes via Rudyard Kipling and has been misappropriated for some time, which is terribly disappointing if true, as it is one of my favourite Friedrich quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by bazarov View Post
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I'm not well versed in Nietzsche,but without the "tribe" mentality, we would hardly be human. Philosophy, science, history and religion would all be impossible (or very different) without language, which is a cultural accretion developed by the tribe and for the tribe. I'm not sure what "owning ourselves" means, but whatever it means we couldn't even be our self without the tribe and what it has given us. We would be someone else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast