Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You Have Just Won 50 Million Dollars, What Do You Do With The First Million?

You Have Just Won 50 Million Dollars, What Do You Do With The First Million?

I have allways thought that if I won a good deal of money I would buy an appartment building and set it up for single parents so they could go to school and get thier degrees. I would take 2 appartments and set them up as a childcare center for the tennants. Rent and child care would be free as long as the tennets maintained a c-average. The only costs to the tennets would be thier utilities. If someone out there wins, you can steal my idea.
    What would you do?

Retire someplace WARM.

Sorry, no lofty goals for the betterment of others. I can do that with the other 49 mil. ME FIRST!

Uncontrollable Flesh Video Drone's Avatar
    I would put about 45 million in the bank... On some kind of plan where I can't really remove it in large quantity at once.

First million, though? I would travel. Germany, Spain, different parts of US and Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Czech, Sweden, Switzerland, Finland, etc. Eventually, I would decide which place I like most and buy a big sturdy house there.

The rest of my millions would go to weird things, such as buying show licenses...
    "Dullness. Ethereal, ephemeral, allegorical dullness. The blunt boredom rises from the gorge of her insufferable lips and floats like the tiniest feather of a long dead bird until it lands, naked and tired memory next to your fleshy feet. But she is gone now, away, away, like all the others, away, away! Only I, poet man, has chosen to stay. And I welcome you, travelers, to the memory catacombs of the Brunnen-G!" (c) Poet Man

Blog Entries
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA 50 MILLION DOLLARS HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *raises pinky to mouth*

well, for the first bit, I'd buyt me a house, pay off me parents morgage. buy me a hummer, and then promptly stay in Hawaii for a month.

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

First mil - I'd travel. Perhaps buy a vacation home in Mexico.

The other 49 I would have to figure out how much would go to family and how to dole it out equitably so there won't be any arguements.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Two plus two is CHICKEN!! Weisinheimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My first mil would be a house, and do some traveling, first Ireland then maybe to the Mediterranean.
    Calvin: You can’t just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.

Hobbes: What mood is that?

Calvin: Last-minute panic.

now then ;)
    Blog Entries
    Plane ticket, House in Crail, 1920's Bentley with running board, pay off the mortgage on parents & older brothers houses, pay off the younger brothers debt. That should leave approx 450k which I'll invest in a suitable manner to live off of for the rest of my life. The rest will go to various causes which interest me.
    There once was a scotsman named Drew
    Who put too much wine in his stew
    He felt a bit drunk
    And fell off his bunk
    And landed smack into his shoe
    ~(C) Ms Niamh Anne King

First mil. would go to the family.
    As for the rest (if I could) I would buy a tropical island and allow only good people to come and live on it. It would be forbidden to carry weapons, use drugs (heavy ones ) and promote politics. How ever, if would be desired to help and build a big library and everyone would have access to it.
    Only the good stuff, I’m tellin’ ya.
    Last edited by XY&Z; 06-07-2007 at 12:15 AM.

Blog Entries
    Are you guys aware that those messages that come to your e-mails and say that you have won big sums of money aren't always real? Sorry if we broke anyoones dream.

Oh, and we would first somehow secure our personal safehood, wouldn't it let be known what i won, make a will, bu ttell nobody about it and become paranoid.
    If you believe even a half of this post, you are severely mistaken.

Hi Taliesin,

Not ALWAYS real? Did even once happen to be for real?
    Yeah, you did not break my dreams .....

First milion would go to my family and a loooong trip around the world.

The rest will go to helping as many people as i could and start a bussiness that will bring even more money
    50 mil? I can't even imagine that sum ............

Well.. 50 million... That's pretty big, and dollars, isn't it? Well, I'll make sure that I get to study college abroad first, Harvard... *sigh*
    And then some for my family, maybe a third for them.

Hmmm..... Well, a lot of people wants to travel around here (in fact, me too) but I'd help all the poor people in the country, moving to Africa, moving to Mozambique. And then everything will be fine... and then I could rest in peace. And maybe I'd pay (in cash, haha) Pres. Bush so that he could take some action in Global Warming.
    Last edited by Scheherazade; 06-07-2007 at 11:48 AM. Reason: political comments

Quote Originally Posted by Reccura View Post
    Well.. 50 million... That's pretty big, and dollars, isn't it? Well, I'll make sure that I get to study college abroad first, Harvard... *sigh*
    And then some for my family, maybe a third for them.

Hmmm..... Well, a lot of people wants to travel around here (in fact, me too) but I'd help all the poor people in the country, moving to Africa, moving to Mozambique. And then everything will be fine... and then I could rest in peace. And maybe I'd pay (in cash, haha) Pres. Bush so that he could take some action in Global Warming.
    I've allways wondered what his parents think of him, really think of him.
    Last edited by Scheherazade; 06-07-2007 at 11:49 AM. Reason: political comments

Thinking...thinking! dramasnot6's Avatar
    I don't think I would ever need more than a million dollars for life. I think 50 million is too much for just me to have, I would probably invest some and donate a lot, or start my own major charity organization or maybe a scholarship fund. But,setting aside 1 million for the bank and my retirement fund(let's cross our fingers for Venice!), I'd love to spend a million dollars taking people from schools around here and in the US on a program in a third world country to experience life as someone underpriveleged and gain an understanding of how lucky they really are. There is nothing that frustrates me more at my school than people choosing to completely ignore the poverty all around the world, it would bring me great hope to see many students like this understand these situations first hand and the importance of helping.
    I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.

Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Giving Back

Well I read all the other replies and not one of the winners will do what I would do. First I would fall to my knees and say a prayer to GOD you know the one who just gave you the fifty million.

Then the first 10% or five million would go to GOD helping other people who need help. Then the rest will fall in place of what to do with 45 million dollars.

For me I already have it planned out for there is not a day that goes by that I don't think of how to spen millions of dollars. My wife and I want to help so many people and at the same time enjoy life to it's fullest. I am just waiting for the day to come when I am blessed with that much money.

So if there is anyone out there (Bill Gates) that want's to bless me and see how GOD works, look me up.

Travel the world in highstyle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast