Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To change or not to change?

Arrow To change or not to change?

Imagine that your familyname is not very popular with the society. You speak the language of that particular country where you live and were born but your familyname clearly indicates that you are not a native. So how connected are you to your legacy? Would you change your name/familyname or not?

What do you mean by 'not very popular'?
    If the family name JUST indicates that you are not a native i don't really see the problem, i like unusual names so to speak ........

But if the name is reminiscent of something/ someone that makes you feel ashamed or people are rude (which is pretty stupid) then maybe ....... it's your choice, and if it makes you feel better why not?

The Word is Serendipitous Lote-Tree's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    They have the Power of Description and we succumb to it...

Yes I had problem with my name - thus when I grew up I have changed it. And I am very happy for it :-)

Now I have the Power of Description and others succumb to it :-)
    I sent my Soul through the Invisible,
    Some letter of that After-life to spell:
    And by and by my Soul return'd to me,
    And answer'd "I Myself am Heav'n and Hell :"

Blog: Rubaiyats of Lote-Tree and Poetry and Tales

I'll specify....the natives don't like you being there. Although you were born there, lived there all your life, obey the laws, speak the language--you are of another nationality and your name indicates that. There. I hope that is more clear!

Quote Originally Posted by Demona View Post
    I'll specify....the natives don't like you being there. Although you were born there, lived there all your life, obey the laws, speak the language--you are of another nationality and your name indicates that. There. I hope that is more clear!
    It's just not fair, you belong there as much as they do.

Changing your name just to hide your true nationality is not something people should be forced to do.
    It depends what you really want, what is more important to you because i know it can be difficult......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Moira View Post
    It's just not fair, you belong there as much as they do.

Changing your name just to hide your true nationality is not something people should be forced to do.
    It depends what you really want, what is more important to you because i know it can be difficult......
    Racism is present regardless of how unfair or irrational...so there is a justification for a name change, just not one with good implications.

but for example if my familay name was crapeater or crapistehsexy I would consider changeing my name

...or if my family name was mussolini or hitler...I would probably consider changing it too.

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

Suzerain of Cost&Caution SleepyWitch's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ok.. what if you change your name to fit in.. what if people somehow find out you are an immigrant or descendant of immigrants, anyway? will your name make any difference then? they will still discriminate against you and be even more suspicious because you have changed your name. they will think you are working under cover to infiltrate their society.

plus, if people don't like/accept you the way you are, would it really help to change your name? if they like you afer you change it, would it be really "you" they like or would it be an illusion?

having said that, I suppose it's easier to preach than to live what I said.

would you mind telling us what country you live in?

Blog Entries
    i think i get what you mean Demona. I'm Irish, i've been born and raised in Ireland, I've learned the native language even though 95% of the country speak English as it's first language, but my sirname is British. A lot of people in Ireland Have Britiah Sirnames because of the Plantations, but some people, a small minority in the south, even today will call you a Proddy Brit because of your sirname.(i'm actually a catholic) I've even heard someone say that I'd polute their bloodline because there is British blood in me. But the thing is this... I'm sure a majority of the Irish Population have English blood in them, we were occupied by the british for 800 years for this not to be possible. Most of my Ancestors have been here for four, five hundred years, and some of my ancestry is Irish. Does that not mean that i have the right to call myself Irish, regardless of my name? And i shouldnt have to change it to the Irish Nic AnRoai.
    At the end of the day i'm irish. And nobody will ever make me feel any different.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Blog Entries
    erhem, cough cough... surname is spelled with a "u", it's not the same as Sir and Madam
    heheheh, sorry to be such a nitpick

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepyWitch View Post
    erhem, cough cough... surname is spelled with a "u", it's not the same as Sir and Madam
    heheheh, sorry to be such a nitpick
    I knew it was wrong1 I was just too lazy to correct it!
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Blog Entries
    Demona, it's hard to give an opinion without knowing what the ramifications are. If it's only a certain uncomfortable feeling then I would recommend you bear it out. Personal pride in one's heritage counts for something; it's your identity. If there are physical, perhaps even violent, ramifications, then it might be prudent to change one's name. But for me it would have to be that serious a ramification to change. My parents were immigrants to the US, and while I'm hardly the only person of Italian ethnicity in the US I can't say it's affected me in anyway.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

now then ;)
    Blog Entries
    My fathers side of the family first came to Scotland from what is now the Czech Republic in the mid/late 1800's. During the first world war, a section of the family changed their name from Hesse to White. This was also around the same time the royal family changed their name from saxe-coburg to windsor.
    There once was a scotsman named Drew
    Who put too much wine in his stew
    He felt a bit drunk
    And fell off his bunk
    And landed smack into his shoe
    ~(C) Ms Niamh Anne King

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted exile View Post
    My fathers side of the family first came to Scotland from what is now the Czech Republic in the mid/late 1800's. During the first world war, a section of the family changed their name from Hesse to White. This was also around the same time the royal family changed their name from saxe-coburg to windsor.
    in other words, you "are" a fellow Czech-German? hehe, let's conspire to overthrow the Westminster goverment and wipe the English from the surface of the earth *JOKING*

Demona, I don't know what it's like in your country, but in many countries everybody is something else than they seem to be.
    of course in the U.S., everyone is an immigrant.
    but even where I live (Germany), most people are half-this,a quarter-that and two eigths the other.
    e.g. all of my friends, colleagues and bosses are German. if you saw them, you'd think they are typical Germans.
    but when you look at their ancestors
    1 is a quarter French, and an eights unknown (probably Moroccon, although she doesn't look a single bit like you imagine your "typical" Morrocon)
    1 is half Croatian
    lots are half Polish, half Czech, a quarter Russian, a quarter unknown
    1 is one sixteenth/ 32th or whatever English

I dunno if this helps.. but chances are that those who discriminate you are not 100% "pure" <NAME OF COUNTRY>, either

Two plus two is CHICKEN!! Weisinheimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My natural instinct would be to stick to my heritage. I'm very proud of my family and I also enjoy going against the grain, so I would say I'd probably keep my name, but i really don't know what it's like to be in that situation. So there's really no way for me to know whether I'd keep my name or not.
    Calvin: You can’t just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.

Hobbes: What mood is that?

Calvin: Last-minute panic.

My family (mother's side) has done that already and for the reasons you descride. They came from Italy more than 100 years ago and they resided in a greek island (Kefalonia). So they slightly changed the italian surname in order to look like a greek surname. That's why my mom's surname doesn't mean anything in greek (all regular greek surnames mean something..for instance my dad's surname means "the one who brings victory" roughly translated).
    Last edited by manolia; 06-06-2007 at 02:29 PM. Reason: sp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast