Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Symbolism

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Symbolism

Still reading...I am about halfway through it by now.

********SPOILERS********

Did you ever notice the symbolism in the novel? I am at the part where Marut is talking to Allan. They have just woken up after being captured and Allan is questioning him as to who and what are Jana and the Child.

The symbolism I am referring to is in them and in the Kendah people. Marut was talking about the translation of Jana into Egyptian Set, in other words, Satan. And the Ivory Child represents all that is good and it speaks through a "guardian."

I just found it interesting the good and evil twist here. Good represented by a human form, and Evil by a beast. I think that part of the evil in Christian religion stems from natural/animal like behaviors.

I also thought about this in the White and Black Kendah. They are both people, and they are living together but cannot coexist peacefully, but the Black Kendah are strong and many in number while the White are few but strong in a more intellectual sort of manner. Black / White, a representation of good and evil? I noticed the descriptions of either side so far...Harut is always smiling, Simba demands sacrifices to Jana, Haggard's description of the Uncle before Hans kills him.

It seems like Haggard splits the good and evil between the white and black peoples. Haggard was a person of his time and that was kind of the belief wasn't it?

Haggard seems, with this interpretation, to also stick to his traditional beliefs and influence (as is seen in all his novels) of Christianity.

What also gets me in this novel is Allan's change of attitude. He seems a little more pessimistic, or would you call it realistic?

Just some thoughts. Sorry for rambling but I'd like to know what you all think about the novel.
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

Blog Entries
    Haggard is pretty consistent in the beast (usually large-sized) as being evil most especially in this book--in ALland the The Holy Flower--it's a giant ape--not King Kong sized though.

While Haggard definitely respected the back races he was in no way free of the British attitude of the time--that they were doing them a favor--to be blunt. Haggard was much better thn his ordinary contemporaries in protraying the majesty of Africa especially in relation to the Zulus.

I know also haggard was keenly interested in Egyptology and reincarnation and these themes weave in and out of his writings. She and Allan will give you insights into his feelings on life after death.

Also contrasting black/white people/tribes often occuring --though I think it's adventire shorthand to keep the characters easy to distinguish.

Blog Entries
    Even though he was expressing certain ideas natural to the time, you can tell by reading it, as you have mentioned, how much he respects the tribal people and Africa itself.

I love how he goes on to describe the native Africans. I think he does show the British influence in the novel...Hans is completely different than say, the Simba king.

Which are his novels that focus more on Egyptology?
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mtpspur View Post
    Haggard is pretty consistent in the beast (usually large-sized) as being evil most especially in this book--in ALland the The Holy Flower--it's a giant ape--not King Kong sized though.
    His novels seem to be consistent in more than just the beast.

This is the third novel of his that I have read, and they carry on a story line construction that seems to be traditional to Haggard.

The novels start off with him or the main character in some other place like London. Then he meets his comrades, trouble or adventure brews and they decide to go to Africa. Then we see native tribes, and tribal problems. Allan, or main character has to save the day whether by participating in war or by aiding in getting rid of some beast.

I'm not knocking Haggard. I just like the themes he uses and he uses them well because I am always entertained while reading his novels. Are all his novels kind of like that mtpspur? Sorry, I'm getting off of Ivory Child.

Blog Entries
    Other then the She series and Quatermains I have also read Cleopatra, Eric Brighteyes (a Viking story), and Smith and the Pharoahs and Other Stories. Haggard does seem to repeat his formula but bear in mind these novels were written over a 40 year span. Treasure of the Lake is a strange reworking of She for that matter (to say more would spoil it). Ancient Allan is very much in Egypt times by way of old fashioned smoking dope (taduki leaves) and seeing past lives (as in A. and the Ice Gods--cave man times). Cleopatra goes without saying as to Egypt. I believe as you get to the end of Ivory Child you'll see how The Child is reflective of Egypt. Have you reached the camel chase yet??

Blog Entries
    I've just finished where Jana chased Hans and Allan across the river, and Hans attacks his trunk with a knife because of his hat . They are past that now where they have just met the better half of the companion killed by Jana. Allan passed out.

Will be reading another two chapters today!!

Oh yes, I remember the Egyptian references in She...that is why I started reading Haggard. Now I am all excited to read the other novels....a summer of Haggard!!!

Blog Entries
    You just remined me Wisdom's Daughter the last She novel but first in chronological order starts in Egypt and of course ends in Kor.

Blog Entries
    Oh my goodness!!! Poor Savage!!! I knew he would be the first one!

Blog Entries
    Yes that didn't help my fear of snakes very much.

Blog Entries
    You know, what Hans did was really brave. I like his character so much, but I have a feeling he will be the second one .

What I like about this novel was Haggard's use of foreshadowing. It doesn't make the novel predictable (neither does his form) but it makes it rather enjoyable in the sense that you know something is coming and you just can't tell when...sorry I am rambling.

Blog Entries
    You might wish to reread the first page and see Allan's comment re Hans. Good news Hans is in a number of the other books--She and Allan, Treasure of the Lake, Heu-Heu, Allan and the Holy Flower.

Blog Entries
    Hmm okay I will go back and reread it. It's nice to know he is in other books...he is just one of those characters that you remember after you read the book (along with the others) but I always like Allan's sidekicks.

I wanted to read Allan and the Holy Flower...is that book supposed to precede this one?

Blog Entries
    Yes, the character Scroope appeared first in that book which Allan mentions when he gets invited to the hunting party in London.

Blog Entries
    Scroope has a minor part in this novel...he just introduces him to Lord Ragnall. Isn't he marrying Miss Manners?

Blog Entries
    To take a single instance, Harût and Marût were convinced by divination that I, and I only, could kill Jana, which was why they invited me to Kendahland. Yet in the end it was Hans who killed him. Jana nearly killed me!
    Yay!!! I know he sticks around until the end then, it just doesn't say whether or not in the effort Hans gets killed. He owed Jana for his hat anyway!

The things you don't catch at the beginning of a novel!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast