Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Symbolism

Blog Entries
    Yes Miss Manners is the heroine of The Holy Flower (by the by n ot one of my favorite AQs partially because that giant animal is no Jana.

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    When was Ivory Child published mtpspur??
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

Blog Entries
    1916 per my sources. Have you finished it? I know you're close. This would one of the easier books to find used though as I've stated Wildsie Press has most of the AQs back in print. Still maintain Heu-Heu and Treasure of the Lake hardest to find used.

Blog Entries
    I have three chapters left. Two which I will probably finish today. The reason I asked when it was published is that I found a copy from a used book dealer online saying it was 1915. I put in an inquiry and they told me that the book had a copyright of 1915 but was a 1924 reprint. It is selling for three dollars. I didn't know if I should go for it or not.

It is easier to find than some of his others. I have found a lot of paperback copies for about fifteen dollars.

Just about finished. I will let you know how it goes.
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

Blog Entries
    Interesting--my notes were from a listing from an American copy of Alllan's Wife with an introduction to the series back in the 80s. It had taken that long to get the fourth short story (Magepa the Buck) title as the last link of 14 novels and 4 shorts. Half wondering if 1915 represents the British edition vs. American. Three dollars sounds like a deal. Depends on what shape you want it in I suppose. I went the Wildside Press route and gave my hardcovers to Jim. And the set still doesn't match up in format. Know I've grumped this theme before but I like uniformity in series.
    Last edited by mtpspur; 06-12-2007 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Added notes

Blog Entries
    Yes I am finding the publication date of 1916 as well. But interestingly enough, in late summer and early fall of 1915 it looks like the Ivory Child was put in eight parts into The Bluebook Magazine along with other fiction writers.

Ideally, I would like to remain consistent in book types when buying a series, but I get too impatient! I am also having trouble finding a publisher who does all the AQ books. Most of them do King Soloman's Mines.

Blog Entries
    Wildside Press has all but Maiwa's Revenge and Treasure of the Lake back in print. Their web page is a bit difficult to navigate but stick with it and you'll hit the author area after a few false starts and clicks.
    Last edited by mtpspur; 06-13-2007 at 01:32 AM. Reason: As I tell GrayFoxDown--spelling

Blog Entries
    Very impressed with the Blue Book reference. Never did a real study of first appearances. I know Allan and the Ice Gods was in Famous Fantastic Novels (least I think that was the title) but had no idea he'ld been in Blue Book where a lot of Edgar Rice Burroughs books were printed first.

I have two paperbacks of King Solomon's Mines and Allan Quatermain that footnote the original manuscript vs. setted on book version mostly a word or sentence and two here and there. Come to think of it--my Haggards are back in a box now and I'm not sure about Wildside doing those two.

The four She books were all in paperback from Del Ray books and probably still easy to find. Neat thing there the publisher issued them in reading order.

Blog Entries
    Ack I finished it !

*****SPOILERS*****(has anyone else actually looked at this thread?)

I really enjoyed it I'm just sad it's over. But what better way could it have been for Hans!!! I was going to start pummeling you with questions as to why Allan couldn't shoot Jana, until it gave some sort of explanation later on. Hans was so brave! I think Haggard also did it that way to show Hans' love for Allan.

I liked how Haggard showed us the parallel with Lady Ragnall coming back to her senses through shattering the Ivory Child. Allan kept dismissing things off as a coincidence, but I agree with Lady Ragnall that it was all related. Do you think that the killing of her baby by a circus elephant in London had to do with Jana or with Harut and Marut's magic.

I liked the two of them, but I can't be fully convinced that they wouldn't do something like that to prod Lady Ragnall on.

If Allan has faith in Providence, do you think that he dismisses coincidence for fate? or do you think he is just sceptical? It seems that if he were to be sceptical, he certainly gets proven wrong a lot of the time .

What was going on with Hans' dream before the battle? I know that Mameena is from another novel...who were all those people in the dream...can you give me the titles they were in? I am going to have to refer back to your list because this book referenced heavily upon the other novels...of which I am going to read. Was it Heaven that Hans saw in the dream or was it like a purgatory kind of place...because he said it wasn't the place of the "eternal flame."

Hans makes conversation on heaven around Allan's Predikant...is this explained in another novel?

I know there was more I wanted to bring up about the last three chapters...but I cannot remember. I'll bug you later!

Haggard list is up to three read: She, King Soloman's Mines and Ivory Child!!

Blog Entries
    Congratulations. I know my oldest son has read some Haggard but he's never shown a great interest. The 'Predikant' is Hans name for Allan's father. I think it's a term for a Reverend. Marie gives insight into Allan's family and younger days. Mameena is central to the plot of Child of Storm and keps making afterlife appaerances here, She and Allan and Finished if I recall. AQ refuses to admit he has feelings for her.

My take on AQ is that he refuses to admit that in his world at least magic is a contender. I believe in the stories themselves the magic is real but AQ is a 'civilized' God fearing man who refuses to believe his eyes. He does seem to be somewhat fatalistice but willing to do all he can to thwart the inevitable. As a character he sufferes personal losses on a regular basis. I loved Hans and wanted him to always be on the team but his absence in King Solomon's Mines probably precluded that. Haggard does an excellent job for the most part keeping AQ chronlogu straight. She and Allan addresses some of his (Haggard's) concerns on life after death. Trust me you'll never forget Zikali.

Harut and Marut were fanatics as far as I was concerned. Fate does seem to play a lot in these stories. Lady Ragnall will be in two more books as I've mentioned. Her last appearance i a haunting one.

By the by the view screen says people are watching just not commenting.
    Last edited by mtpspur; 06-15-2007 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Do I have to say it--starts with spel--

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mtpspur View Post
    My take on AQ is that he refuses to admit that in his world at least magic is a contender. I believe in the stories themselves the magic is real but AQ is a 'civilized' God fearing man who refuses to believe his eyes. He does seem to be somewhat fatalistice but willing to do all he can to thwart the inevitable. As a character he sufferes personal losses on a regular basis. I loved Hans and wanted him to always be on the team but his absence in King Solomon's Mines probably precluded that. .
    I think this struggle of his makes him a more likeable character and more realistic.

I might pursue another Haggard novel sometime this summer. I never really noticed that he suffered a loss frequently...perhaps because I've only read one other Allan novel. It does seem like someone will die in each novel though. I just thought he had a new comrade in each novel

Lady Ragnall's foreshadowing of her and Allan's involvement in the future is good at catching my attention. Which novel do you recommend I pick up for the next venture?

Blog Entries
    She and Allan is my most favorite Haggard. If you maintain and interest in Lady Ragnall by all means read Ancient Allan. She and Allan has apearances by most of AQ's cast of characters alive and dead and will make you appreciate Marie, Child of Storm and Finished better (if read in that order). Whereas Ivory Child contains most of Haggard' themes, She and Allan is character driven (as well as adventurous) but I noticed you've in two books already picked on up on a typical AQ novel and how they go.. Ivory Child I always felt BEST displays AQ at his finest. Save Allan Quatermain for last (though 2nd written). It makes all the foreshadowing Haggard was doing filling in the gaps of AQ's life that much more satisfying to read.

Ayone know what Marie was talking about to Hans in the dream in this part:
    "Then the Missie Marie said: 'Tell the Baas, Hans, that I also have a child which he will see one day, but it is not a son.' "
    I have read the other Quatermain books, but can't remember anything about Marie having a child. What was she refering to?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12