Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: the trinity

It's a very confusing idea, but here is a simple analogy that might help. The Trinity can be compared to an egg. An egg is made of the shell, the white, and the yoke. The shell itself is not the egg, but if you show it to someone, they will tell you that it is part of an egg. Same with the other parts. Seperate, they are things, but they are not complete 'til combined. Likewise with the Trinity. There is God the Father, then there is Jesus, God the Son, then there is the Holy Spirit. Seperate, but together, they make God.

Hope that helps. And as to your little race speech, amen! It is sooo annoying when I get kicked out of something b/c some illegal, or black comes and wants to do the same thing, even if I did better. I have nothing against blacks, or Mexicans, I'm just against PREJIDUCE (sp?) !!!!!!!!! We are trying so hard not to be biast against others, we are being biast against ourselves! I had a friend who got a perfect score on the SAT, didn't miss a single question, and the college they wanted to go to didn't give them their well-earned scholarship b/c they were blond w/ blue eyes!!!!! AHHH!!! Well I gtg. C'ya!
    That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, wherby they lie in wait to decieve; But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into Him in all things, which is the head, even Christ. Ephesians 4:14-15

Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
    I gather, then, Red, you cannot see what I'm saying?
    Not at all; what you say makes perfect sense to me. I simply believe that God - in His complexity and multi-dimensionality also exists in a way that we cannot (yet) understand Him (limited to 3-4 dimensions as we are). I rather liked your explanation, but I believe that your answer is one part of a multi-faceted answer.
    "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." - C.S. Lewis

:) Stephweet :) stephofthenight's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    so basicly as we live we dicover peices of the puzzel and as life come to an end we are missing but one peice in the puzzel of understanding god, and when you die that peice fall into place and we understand everything?

"Be careful of quotes you find on the internet, they may not always be true" -Abraham Lincon-

Quote Originally Posted by stephofthenight View Post
    so basicly as we live we dicover peices of the puzzel and as life come to an end we are missing but one peice in the puzzel of understanding god, and when you die that peice fall into place and we understand everything?
    Sort of...but I think the revelation after death is an ongoing sort of thing and not something I think we can fully understand from the limited way we view things now. Eternity is relational- we are one with the Divine and yet mystically retain our self-hood.

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm4Him View Post
    It's a very confusing idea, but here is a simple analogy that might help. The Trinity can be compared to an egg. An egg is made of the shell, the white, and the yoke. The shell itself is not the egg, but if you show it to someone, they will tell you that it is part of an egg. Same with the other parts. Seperate, they are things, but they are not complete 'til combined. Likewise with the Trinity. There is God the Father, then there is Jesus, God the Son, then there is the Holy Spirit. Seperate, but together, they make God.

Hope that helps. And as to your little race speech, amen! It is sooo annoying when I get kicked out of something b/c some illegal, or black comes and wants to do the same thing, even if I did better. I have nothing against blacks, or Mexicans, I'm just against PREJIDUCE (sp?) !!!!!!!!! We are trying so hard not to be biast against others, we are being biast against ourselves! I had a friend who got a perfect score on the SAT, didn't miss a single question, and the college they wanted to go to didn't give them their well-earned scholarship b/c they were blond w/ blue eyes!!!!! AHHH!!! Well I gtg. C'ya!
    May I complement you on your example, mon ami? I have never really heard a better allegory. If you were to practice the art of egg-blowing: (A small hole is made in each end and the contents blown out so the shell remains empty, but basically whole for decorating), anyone seeing the shell would call it an egg. Cooking the insides anyway you want, people still call it an egg. A boiled egg white, minus it’s yoke, would be recognized as a egg. That yellow gooey yolk is called “egg”; it does the most damage when people “egg” your house or car. But they are three distinct parts, all one incredible, edible egg!
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

A Guy
    use my imagination...god will end up being a penguin with a mohauk!!! lol, im a very twisted kid. never tell a teenager to use her imanation...isnt that against school and church rules? not to mention present day suciety, thats up there with being yourself...scary
    I fear your school and/or church...
    Grace and peace to you from God our Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ.--Romans 1:7

Please check this out:
    http://vocm.org

Bonafide...Savage. Neo_Sephiroth's Avatar
    There's another simple possible answer, not an analogy. The Father, The Only Begotten Son, and The Holy Ghost are three seperate beings.
    "The Lord works from the inside out. The world works from the outside in. The world would take people out of the slums. Christ takes the slums out of the people and then they take themselves out of the slums. Christ changes men, who then changes their environment. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature." ~ Ezra Taft Benson

:) Stephweet :) stephofthenight's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    you never cease to amaze, or confuse me professior

"Be careful of quotes you find on the internet, they may not always be true" -Abraham Lincon-

What does the Bible say?

It says the Father is God. He created the heavens and the earth and all that dwell in them. He sustains all creation and provides for the needs of all living things. He is holy and just. He is merciful and compassionate.

It says that Jesus Christ is God. He is all-powerful, existed even before creation, is holy and is untied with the Father. He was conceived, born, grew, preached, lived perfectly, suffered and died. He was raised again and now lives and rules over all things.

It says that the Holy Spirit is God. He is all-knowing. He creates faith in the hearts of those who hear God's promises.

It says that these three, Father, Son and Holy Spirit are not the same, or parts of each other. (This isn't one God who is putting on a mask, like your father dressing up as Santa or an actor playing three parts in a play)

However, it says very clearly that there is only one God ("Hear, oh Israel, the LORD, your God, the LORD is one") It says that Father and Son and Holy Spirit are united and connected and one.

That's what the Bible says. Then I ask myself, "How can this be?" Father=God
    Son=God
    Holy Spirit=God

but Father does not = Son does not = Holy Spirit

and yet only 1 God.

That's a mystery. We give it a label--the teaching of the Trinity, but that doesn't mean we understand it.

Does it really surprise me, though, that God is difficult for me to understand. I mean, He's GOD. I'm a human. It's only by him telling me that I know what I do know.

Finally, the egg and the water ( and other analogies) have been used by people far wiser than I am over the centuries to explain and understand this. Yet every analogy has a weakness. The yoke isn't the entire egg, yet the Father is completely and entirely God. Water has three phases, but God doesn't change from Father to Son to Spirit. Once again, I'm humbled, but not surprised that completely understanding God is beyond my ability.

From the mountains to the prairies to the oceans white with foam
    Blog Entries
    I attended Baptist churches as a child and it seemed to me they were always saying...we'll understand it all by and by. I grew up feeling that was kind of a cop out. It's just a way of explaining the mystery, to calm us, to soothe us, and some would say, to shut us up. But I DO love a good mystery.
    There is a song...Farther Along by Brad Paisley

Tempted and tried, we're oft made to wonder
    Why it should be thus all the day long
    While there are others living about us
    Never molested, though in the wrong.

Farther along we'll know all about it
    Farther along we'll understand why
    Cheer up my brother, live in the sunshine
    We'll understand it all by and by.

When death has come and taken our loved ones
    It leaves our home lonely and drear
    And then do we wonder why others prosper
    Living so wicked year after year

When we see Jesus coming in glory
    When he comes down from his home in the sky
    Then we shall meet him in that bright mansion
    We'll understand it all by and by.

The Trinity comment..another mysterious thing. I like the egg analogy also.
    I have also heard it explained with water as someone mentioned but as water, ice and steam.

And Steph....I am not even close to your age and I understand your concern of the racial prejudices because it is in my generation also and I think many in between. I think someone somewhere thought that political correctness would truly bring our young people into a closer world of being one family, that they would be able to live side by side. We can't even live in the same room with our brothers and sisters! But it is a worthy goal? You have interesting thoughts.
    I'm in love with The Vinegar Man and Mr. Tanner, but be careful, it could just as easily be you.

"If you're going to write you better have somewhere to come from." Flannery O'Connor

you never cease to amaze, or confuse me professior
    Well, that's what I'm here for.
    "The Lord works from the inside out. The world works from the outside in. The world would take people out of the slums. Christ takes the slums out of the people and then they take themselves out of the slums. Christ changes men, who then changes their environment. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature." ~ Ezra Taft Benson

But, seriously, it is my belief that The Father, The Son, and The Holy Ghost is three seperate beings.

Genesis 3:22
    "And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever:"
    But, I agree that it can be confusing, the concept of the Trinity, I mean.

One must not rely on man's knowledge alone in reading the bible but let the Holy Spirit guide you, in doing that, one can hope to understand the scriptures.

but then again what do i know, im just a kid. thereforth my opinion doesnt matter.[/QUOTE]

I can tell you feel very strongly about a lot of issues. It is always difficult when one is young to not have the power to change things. Even if your opinions are not acted upon by others, your opinions and observations are important. And there are others out there that would agree with you.

I may not have the same issues as you but I get very disturbed over the immigration issues, animal rights, global warming not being taken seriously enough to create action so the future generations will have a better chance. Sometimes I get so angry I shake inside.

Getting back to the topic, I was told the Trinity was like a three leaf clover.

We have all come to the right place.
    We all sit in God's classroom
    Now,
    The only thing left for us to do, my dear,
    Is to stop
    Throwing spitballs for a while.

By Hafiz
    Labyrinth

The Story of My Life bibliophile190's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It is rather confusing, but I just decide not to worry about it. God is beyond us, so we'll never really understand it all. I know that doesn't really answer your question. I'm just saying, don't worry about it.

Something's gotta give PrinceMyshkin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bibliophile190 View Post
    It is rather confusing, but I just decide not to worry about it. God is beyond us, so we'll never really understand it all. I know that doesn't really answer your question. I'm just saying, don't worry about it.
    The trouble is that if God is beyond us he is and was beyond all the writers of the Scriptures, all the priests and theologians who interpret the scriptures and all the priests and theologians who interpreted what all the previous priests and theologians believed or invented.

Where in Scripture is the origin or proclamation of the trinity, which, twist it as you may, sounds like a return to plytheism?
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world." Gandhi

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast