Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Can a Christian be a Buddhist? Vice-versa?

For Christians it's not solely about being and doing good; it's about revering and praising God; and I think supplementing your worship of the God of Israel with any other idols, no matter how benign, is a slight. I'm speaking about true Christian religion mind you; and you can't take away that singular reverence for God without ceasing to be Christian. So no, impossible!
    Nothing resting in its own completeness
    Can have worth or beauty; but alone
    Because it leads and tends to farther sweetness,
    Fuller, higher, deeper than its own.

The Three Marks of Existence of Buddhism

Dukkha (suffering)
    Anicca (impermance)
    Anatta (no self)

Buddhism strongly believes that there is no permanent self or transcendence and that the energy of life is Karma. This strongly contradicts Christianity's idea of an afterlife.

The purpose of life for a strongly committed Buddhist is the achievement of Nirvana which is a state of nothing and this is done by avoiding the accumulation of Karma. However it may be seen to use aspects of the Buddha's teachings in shaping one's own moral philosophy. The Noble Eightfold Path was the Buddha's cure for suffering which consists of three main sections being; Prayna (Wisdom), Sila (Ethical Conduct) and Samadhi (Mental Development). Using these concepts however does not make one a Buddhist as they would not have the same beliefs without the acceptance of Nirvana.

To be a true Christian on the other hand one must have full belief in God so it would not be possible for someone to have belief in both God and no God, Heaven and Nirvana. Like Buddhism one could take the morality preached in Christianity such as the acceptance shown in Lk 10:25-37 The Parable of The Good Samaritan. Likewise with Buddhism taking the morality does not truly make one a Christian unless they believe in the Trinity.

I think Christians could be anything (not all of them of course) robbers, charlatans, despots, nepotists, Bakers, Swaggarts, you name it, except Buddhists. Why? They don't like chocolate. (not all of them of course)
    Last edited by cafolini; 11-20-2011 at 01:24 PM.

Blog Entries
    " When you are a truly happy Christian, you are also a Buddhist and vice versa "

- Zen master Thich Nhat Hanh from the book - Living Buddha,Living Christ

Quote Originally Posted by NikolaiI View Post
    " When you are a truly happy Christian, you are also a Buddhist and vice versa "

- Zen master Thich Nhat Hanh from the book - Living Buddha,Living Christ

Hi Nikolai, my old pal!

I am simply happy to read your post after a long time and I second your thought.

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Sit, be still, and listen,
    because you're drunk
    and we're at
    the edge of the roof.”
    ― Rumi

This is Nikolai' s signature and I cannot fathom the depth of it

“Those who seek to satisfy the mind of man by hampering it with ceremonies and music and affecting charity and devotion have lost their original nature””

“If water derives lucidity from stillness, how much more the faculties of the mind! The mind of the sage, being in repose, becomes the mirror of the universe, the speculum of all creation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blazeofglory View Post
    Sit, be still, and listen,
    because you're drunk
    and we're at
    the edge of the roof.”
    ― Rumi

This is Nikolai' s signature and I cannot fathom the depth of it
    Whatever it means, it sounds like good advice if one is drunk and at the edge of the roof like most of us.

Some time ago I signed up for email from the Blue Mountain Center of Meditation. The one I read today reminded me of this thread. Eknath Easwaran was quoted as saying the following that I thought was similar to Nikolai's quote of Thich Nhat Hanh at least regarding happiness:

It is one of the hallmarks of the spiritually aware man or woman that they will always be cheerful, not because they don’t feel deeply, but because they do feel deeply.
    Last edited by YesNo; 03-30-2012 at 12:39 AM.

Can a Christian be a buddhist? No Way in hell. That's an abomination to Christian thought
    shad·ow ing

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowsCool View Post
    Can a Christian be a buddhist? No Way in hell. That's an abomination to Christian thought
    A simple no would have sufficed.

Blog Entries
    Thomas Merton said:
    "I see no contradiction between Buddhism and Christianity ... I intend to become as good a Buddhist as I can."
    (David Steindl-Rast, "Recollection of Thomas Merton's Last Days in the West" (Monastic Studies, 7:10, 1969)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulclem View Post
    A simple no would have sufficed.
    Maybe not in Shadows' mind. Emphasis is sometimes needed.
    Les Miserables,
    Volume 1, Fifth Book, Chapter 3
    Remember this, my friends: there are no such things as bad plants or bad men. There are only bad cultivators.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BienvenuJDC View Post
    Maybe not in Shadows' mind. Emphasis is sometimes needed.
    Where's the tolerance in that response though? A simple no would definately be better.
    Last edited by Paulclem; 04-12-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    No, a Christian cannot be a buddhist. A Christian can be buddhistic, as I believe Christianity in essence is, but if a Christian can be a Buddhist and fill out both in the religion column of some form then that diminishes the meaning of both references to one's identity. Most Buddhism does in fact involve faith. The essence of Buddhism does not, but its actual practice often, in most sects, is accompanied by an intellectual leap beyond what is scientifically and logically certain.

Both religions can be great. I would be proud to belong to either.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulclem View Post
    Where's the tolerance in that response though? A simple no would definately be better.
    How does tolerance even apply here. Just because someone chooses to be emphatic about an answer does not mean that they are intolerant about someone else's belief. Why shouldn't I be allowed to say that by no means can someone be a Christian and a Buddhist? I get sick of the over use of the word tolerance, which to some people means...you can't voice your opinion.
    Les Miserables,
    Volume 1, Fifth Book, Chapter 3
    Remember this, my friends: there are no such things as bad plants or bad men. There are only bad cultivators.

Skol'er of Thinkery The Comedian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BienvenuJDC View Post
    How does tolerance even apply here. Just because someone chooses to be emphatic about an answer does not mean that they are intolerant about someone else's belief. Why shouldn't I be allowed to say that by no means can someone be a Christian and a Buddhist? I get sick of the over use of the word tolerance, which to some people means...you can't voice your opinion.
    I really think that Paul was just askin' for civility. The poster's "No Way in hell. That's an abomination. . ." is antagonistic. He could have expressed with something like "No. Because the essential nature of Christianity is faith in the truth of Christ's divinity, his resurrection, and his ministry. While Buddhist and Christian morality may have some similarities, as faiths, their doctrines are incompatible and therefore one cannot be a fully practicing member of each. . . ."
    “Oh crap”
    -- Hellboy