Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maradona

I get what you mean. But your post gives me an idea... perhaps the world of politics would be better off were they to go the way of the Premiership. I propose mandatory advertisement of financial contributors by politicians to be worn on politicians' suits at all time. Once special interest groups contribute more than a certain percentage of his/her chest, that politician will have the choice of wearing either a sandwich board or a big Barney-type suit at all times in public. I look forward to the presidential debate between Bush's eyes peeking out of an oversized cloth oil drum, and Kerry as a large bottle of Heinz ketchup!

My petition will be drawn up soon for everyone to sign. Whaddya say?
    If you had to live with this you'd rather lie than fall.
    You think I can't fly? Well, you just watch me!

~The Dresden Dolls

Good point about football...damn, soccer players being crybabies...
    And I understand your point, I wish sports here had a salary cap...if I understood what you mean. Or anyway, there that would be rules about how money has to be used there... It' soooo boring to say so, but a foot...nah, soccer player earns in 1 year what an ordinary worker won't earn in his whole life...
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

an innate contradiction verybaddmom's Avatar
    my son plays minor league football here in Canada (so that's the manly sport of knocking each other down) and i tell you...i had NO idea what the heck the whole point of this game was. then one day they had an exhibition game day where it was parents against the kids...and i was sort of forced to learn. however, i found that once i understood it, it was actually pretty cool. my boy plays center, so he's the guy in the middle of it all at the beginning with his butt in the air, and then he chucks the ball between his legs to the guy standing behind him. its actually very technical....

anyhow, the point of this is....well i have no idea.

i guess the point is that i think it's a good sport for kids (and grown ups). there is actually alot of mental skill required (planning and executing strategies as well as being able to think on one's feet) as well as the fact that the energy that is burned off is usually agressive energy. its great when our youth are channelled in that manner. my son talks sometimes about getting a football scholarship to college too, so while he may not ever go pro, there is still a future attached to it. does it get any better than that?
    Then we sat on the edge of the earth, with our feet dangling over the side, and marvelled that we had found each other.

Just tell your son to tell his football buddies not to beat up the kids who *don't* favor his particular method of energy-channeling, agreed?
    If you had to live with this you'd rather lie than fall.
    You think I can't fly? Well, you just watch me!

~The Dresden Dolls

smeghead
    Is he out of hospital yet? hope he's ok. the soccer guy in hospital, right?

me love soccer and rugby.
    Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.
    (Mark Twain)

Here is what happened: pure enjoyment of outdoor activities met capitalistic old men ina one on one, winner take all fight. The old men won, and now it is all about the money.
    Anarchism is a game at which the Police can beat you. What have you to say to that?
    -Misalliance
    George Bernard Shaw

Originally posted by fayefaye
    Is he out of hospital yet? hope he's ok. the soccer guy in hospital, right?
    me love soccer and rugby.
    Glad to hear that, faye.
    Actually, the day he woke up (he was in a chemical coma for about a week), he signed a note giving his aknowledgement that it was fully his responsability and he left the clinic, and then he went to a house in the country to play golf. The next day, he was already playing soccer with his doctor and eating roasted meat.
    Ese es el Diego.
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

wrong topic

I thought this website is about literature, though to show that I am not merely a bookworm or a nerd, I do watch a lot of sports, and Maradona is a great soccer player, he lead Argentina to WorldCUp championships, he was short, but lightling quick, the players today remind me of him are:
    Michael Owen
    Javier Saviola
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Re: wrong topic

Originally posted by Edmond
    I thought this website is about literature, though to show that I am not merely a bookworm or a nerd, I do watch a lot of sports, and Maradona is a great soccer player, he lead Argentina to WorldCUp championships, he was short, but lightling quick, the players today remind me of him are:
    Michael Owen
    Javier Saviola
    Edmond, as you can see, the description below General Chat says: "Discuss anything and everything, except politics." So, this is not a 'wrong topic', as you put it.
    That aside, both of the players you mention are great, but they lack several of Maradona's qualities: neither of them usually makes free kicks, they're both forwards (maradona was a middleman, the head of the team play-wise, we call that "enganche"), and they both use speed as thir main method to pass enemy players. Maradona was quick, but that was just due to his young age, and it didn't do much for him, there were other players in Argentina who were faster than him. His ability with the ball was the thing that made him the greatest.
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123