Thread: Favourite Tagore Quotes

Favourite Tagore Quotes

Please share ur favourite quotes by Tagore here. The best ones are from "Sparks" i suppose.

Here's my favourite ones-

My thoughts, like sparks,
    Ride on winged surprises
    Carrying a single laughter.
    The tree gazes in love at its beautiful shadow
    Who is his own and yet whom he can never grasp.
    Thats all that came up to my mind at the moment, may be I'll add more later.
    ...the smell of flowers through metal labyrinths.

What's in a name......
    I haven't read much of Tagore. But this one is my favourite so far. It is more a paragraph than a quote from a short story called 'The Postmaster':
    "O poor, unthinking human heart! Error will not go away, logic and reason are slow to penetrate.We cling with both arms to false hope, refusing to believe in the weightiest proofs against it, embracing it with all our strength. In the end it escapes, ripping our veins and draining our heart's blood; until, regaining consciousness, we rush to fall into snares of delusion all over again"
    Existence is not only temporary, it is pointless.

" This abstract being, the Nation is ruling India. We have seen in our country some brand of tinned food advertised as entirely made and packed without being touched by hand. But we, who are governed, are not a mere abstraction. we, on our side, are individuals with living sensibilities. What comes to us in the shape of mere bloodless policy may pierce into the very core of our life, may threaten the whole future of our people with a perpetual helplessness of emasculation, and yet may never touch the chord of humanity on the other side, or touch it in the most inadequetely feedle manner. Such whole wholesale and universal acts of fearful responsibility man can never perform, with such a degree of systematic unawerness where he is an individual human being."
    -------Nationalism : Rabindranath Tagore
    Last edited by Dipen Guha; 05-31-2010 at 02:17 PM.