Thread: Alas and alack!

vel

Alas and alack!

Dear Gentle Readers:

I have just peeped into Dombey and Sons. Is there no other brave soul ready to discuss it with me? Come, I await your comment...

I would be delighted to discuss Dombey and Son with you. Perhaps I can pose some questions as a starter!

Do you consider this an example of a realist novel? Do you agree that the accusation that Dickens characters are flat caricatures could be countered by the fact that they cleverly depict social reality in a way that can be readily understood by a contemporary readership?

Quote Originally Posted by vel View Post
    Dear Gentle Readers:

I have just peeped into Dombey and Sons. Is there no other brave soul ready to discuss it with me? Come, I await your comment...

I feel that this novel is one that contains an overlap in genre. There are certainly elements of the gothic included (for an example of this one has to look no further than Walter's return, or to Mrs. Skewerton's daily "death", page 419 in the "Oxford World's Classics" edition), as well as the romantic (coincidences such as that Edith and Alice are sisters speak to this). That having been said, the novel does also include elements of realism, though I don't feel that it can be so simply categorized.