Thread: Help please with access to Online Literature

Help please with access to Online Literature

Hi All

Came to Online-Literature.com to explore your Author List but, cannot access the site.

Problem is that there are No Side-Bars when the page is open on my computer and, all contents are "below" the bottom of the display.

Fortunately I was able to access these forums, can anyone help please?

Computer = Old and running IE 5.5 on Dial-Up and, no chance to upgrade my equipment due to disability.

Thanks, Sir Chaucer

yes, that's me, your friendly Moderator 💚 Logos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hello

I'm not exactly sure where the problem lies? The way the Author Index
    http://www.online-literature.com/author_index.php

displays you have to scroll top to bottom to view them all.

When viewing a specific author like Geoffrey Chaucer for example, http://www.online-literature.com/chaucer/

all his etexts are listed on the left hand column. If you click to read one of them you can then click the "Back" (<-- arrow) button at the top of your browser window or, click the link at the top of the page

Literature Network » Geoffrey Chaucer

to return to Geoffrey Chaucer's main page. Chapters for books are also listed on the left side and you return to the book same way as above to go on to the next chapter. I hope this helps? but I'm not sure if that is exactly what you were having an issue with, maybe you could provide links to pages that you're having trouble viewing or, describe in more detail?
    Forum » Rules » FAQ » Tags » Blogs » Groups » Quizzes » e-Texts »
    📚 📚 📒 📓 📙 📘 📖 ✍🏻 📔 📒 📗 📒 📕 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚

Hello

Tried opening the "Author List" link you posted but still cannot access the list.

I cannot scroll down the page because there is No Side Bar on the Right of the display.

Only met this problem once before, I think that was a Tiscali Site but not sure now.

I have got a screen shot to show the trouble but, can't work out how to attach it because the "Insert Image" button brings up a box which wants an "HTTP" link inserted and the picture is on my computer.

(You guessed it, I'm a steam engine user, things take a long time to get going for me!)

Thanks, Sir Chaucer

yes, that's me, your friendly Moderator 💚 Logos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    To attach the screenshot:

When posting a reply, scroll down to the Attach Files section below the white text field.

Click "Manage Attachements" then you have to upload the image from your computer.

What browser are you using? Internet Explorer? what version?
    Forum » Rules » FAQ » Tags » Blogs » Groups » Quizzes » e-Texts »
    📚 📚 📒 📓 📙 📘 📖 ✍🏻 📔 📒 📗 📒 📕 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚 📚

Do you have a wheel mouse? If so you can try scrolling using the wheel instead of the scroll bar.

Very odd... perhaps you need to scroll right first to see the scrollbar if you run a really low resolutions.
    Chris Beasley
    Administrator
    The Literature Network

Hi Logos, Hi Admin!

Cannot work out how to attach a screen shot, probably because I've gotthe following notice lower left column of my display...

You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may edit your posts

I've looked in User CP but can find no way to make it so I can post attachments.

As to the wheel-mouse, yes I've tried it on the page but no-go. Yes, tried scrolling left/right as far as I can go but no joy.

Even tried saving the complete page on my computer so I could try it when not connected to the internet, still no go.

As I wrote, this is only the 2nd time I've had this problem, I think the other one was a Tiscali Page but, cannot remember exactly now.

Thanks, Aleyn

Blog Entries
    When you click on the post reply button, you get a message that you can't post attachments? In order to access the manage attachments button, you have to first click on post reply.

Sorry, if you already knew that or if that isn't the problem. Just for your information, you can get a free account with an image host and post images directly into your post after you upload the image to the host. It is another option in addition to making an attachment.
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    Douglas Adams

"Frivolity is a stern taskmaster."
    Zippy the Pinhead

~Posting images tutorial~

Problems?

Trying to think this out clearly though, feeling very whoopsie this morning due to disability.

I've got a problem with no slide bar on the right of the screen - I have now found a work-around.

Just realised that "The Blur" at the bottom of this forum is the Author List (Yes, I'm poorly sighted but do have my IE 5.5 set to give good and clear text size)

From that author list I selected Chaucer, then The Reeve and by sucessive savings to my hard disc, was able to read the text.

However, I do not need to do that because there are sites like Gutenburg and Manybooks.net where I can download the books for free.

So, don't really need the books on this site though, the Author List is a useful reference for me.

However, while using the forum and the facility for New posts I've read some interesting comments and, contributed some of my own.

I've also had a PM exchange with a lady who wrote a very good poem so...

Enjoying the site anyway and, I'll be coming back (and back and back!)

Just one open question to anyone who cares to answer...

In The Reeve, the character "Aleyn" is spelled "Alein" and, I object (though with a smile)

I was named after Aleyn in The Reeve and although I hated my name when I was young (it was a cause of bullying me) I am now intensly proud of my name!

With respect, Sir Chaucer or, outside this cyber space, Aleyn D Lester