Thread: What is ment by ((modern Tragedy))???

What is ment by ((modern Tragedy))???

Hi
    Do you know Modern tragedy
    what does it mean???

The Word is Serendipitous Lote-Tree's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Macbeth1 View Post
    Hi
    Do you know Modern tragedy
    what does it mean???
    Having the wheels on your shopping Trolley broken on your way to the Till? :-)

Ending up having rice crispies instead of cornflakes :-)
    I sent my Soul through the Invisible,
    Some letter of that After-life to spell:
    And by and by my Soul return'd to me,
    And answer'd "I Myself am Heav'n and Hell :"

Blog: Rubaiyats of Lote-Tree and Poetry and Tales

Is this the answer ???

Modern tragedy
    In modern literature, the definition of tragedy has become less precise. The most fundamental change has been the rejection of Aristotle's dictum that true tragedy can only depict those with power and high status. Arthur Miller's essay 'Tragedy and the Common Man' exemplifies the modern belief that tragedy may also depict ordinary people in domestic surroundings. British playwright Howard Barker has argued strenuously for the rebirth of tragedy in the contemporary theatre, most notably in his volume Arguments for a Theatre. "You emerge from tragedy equipped against lies. After the musical, you're anybody's fool," he observes.[6]

A Doll's House (1879) by the Norwegian playwright Henrik Ibsen, which depicts the breakdown of a middle-class marriage, is an example of a more contemporary tragedy. Like Ibsen's other dramatic works, it has been translated into English and has enjoyed great popularity on the English and American stage.

Although the most important American playwrights - Eugene O'Neill, Tennessee Williams and Arthur Miller - wrote tragedies, the rarity of tragedy in the American theater may be owing in part to a certain form of idealism, often associated with Americans, that man is captain of his fate, a notion exemplified in the plays of Clyde Fitch and George S. Kaufmann. Arthur Miller, however, was a successful writer of American tragic plays, among them The Crucible, All My Sons and Death of a Salesman.

Contemporary postmodern theater moves the ground for the execution of tragedy from the hamartia (the tragic mistake or error) of the individual tragic hero to the tragic hero's inability to have agency over his own life, without even the free will to make mistakes. The fate decreed from the gods of classical Greek tragedy is replaced by the will of institutions that shape the fate of the individual through policies and practices.

Tragedy often shows the lack of escape of the protagonist, whereby he or she cannot remove themself from the present environment.

says wikipedia...............

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy#Modern_tragedy

Thank you very much.

can any body clear the difference between classical and modern tragedy???

in classical tragedy heroes were from high rank n also role of gods n destiny was present whereas in modern tragedy heroes r from common people n no role of fate n chance.
    is it correct???
    n except all this anything else.....???

Cool Some say that the Da Vinci code is ....

a Modern Tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pari Rana View Post
    can any body clear the difference between classical and modern tragedy???
    In classical tragedy, the protagonist is noble and of high birth (a king or queen for example) In modern tragedy, the protagonist tends to be your average working-class man. Even if they are in a high position, they aren't royal.

I think Aristotle's precept of Pity and Terror holds as good for Tragedy today as it did in the time of the Ancients Greeks.

The Pity comes when you feel a sympathy, a fellow-feeling with the trials the Hero/Heroine is experiencing and identify with his reactions. The Terror comes with the horrid realisation that this could happen to you, too, and you draw away from the possible contamination of such devasting events. Aristotle's required Cartharsis, the cleansing of emotions, comes about as you leave the theatre (or the reading of the tragedy) with the sobering thought that there, but for the Grace of God, go I.

Modern Tragedy?

Read "Death of a Salesmen" that is a great example of modern tragedy. In fact Arthur Miller even wrote an essay on modern tragedy, in which he explains how "Death of a Salesmen" falls under this category through its portrayal of Willie Loman.