Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: An Innocent Word-Caught in the Swear Filter

Blog Entries

An Innocent Word-Caught in the Swear Filter

I think it's great that this site would make itself available to young readers. When I read the post from administration all how certain words would be filtered out for this reason, I was delighted.

One of the things I love about this place is that I've never seen a robot come in here and try to look me up with hot college girls in my town.

However, I was surprised to see this automated edit in a blog entry of my harmless (and very melancholically effective, ha ha) description of the driver's realm of an old Cadillac:http://www.online-literature.com/for...4&userid=26383

The inside of the hearse lit up like the **** pit of a military aircraft.

I mean, come on, this definitely detracts from the much-needed imagery intended. Being an old software engineer, it seems like this kind of thing be easy to avoid. On the other hand, I may not be aware of the tenacity of some of the would-be hackers of vulgarity.

Ничего нет лучше для исправления, как прежнее с раскаянием вспомнить.

Blog Entries
    **** pit certainly changes the imagery. My 12 year old gets on here and I’m glad the error is on the side of caution.

Cockpit is one word. See it works.
    Last edited by Reepicheep; 05-17-2007 at 10:22 AM.

Inquisitive bloke ClaesGefvenberg's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by motherhubbard View Post
    My 12 year old gets on here and I’m glad the error is on the side of caution.
    So does my 11 year old, and I agree: She is learning english at an astonishing rate, and I would prefer it to be somewhat proper english. That said, a filter will never be 100% effective.

/Claes
    Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Blog Entries
    I'm so embarrassed. My excuse is I used speech recognition software to type. I know that cockpit is one word, but it didn't, and in my story I never proofread it! I'm glad to know the filters are working the way they should be.

Ничего нет лучше для исправления, как прежнее с раскаянием вспомнить.

Blog Entries
    " I helped apple reck a nice beach"

heh, sorry.

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

at Stan. Okay, so maybe I'm a bit liberal, but sorry to say, your children probably already know those words (at least in America they would). And anyhow, words affect the mood of a story, and I don't much like censoring. In any case, at least the problem was solved, but I'm still iffy about the censoring. *shrugs*
    "It is when the feet weary and hope seems vain that the heartaches and the longings arise. Know, then, that for you is neither surfeit nor content. In your rocking chair, by your window dreaming, shall you long, alone. In your rocking chair, by your window, shall you dream such happiness as you may never feel."
    -- Sister Carrie

I concur with all the points about the swear filter. However, there's not much to do about it, mainly because it's one of the rules, and because swear words might end up blocking the site for computers with internet language filters, thus lowering the hits the site gets and the benefits attached to such.
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by crisaor View Post
    I concur with all the points about the swear filter. However, there's not much to do about it, mainly because it's one of the rules, and because swear words might end up blocking the site for computers with internet language filters, thus lowering the hits the site gets and the benefits attached to such.
    All I have to say is, "That's true." Wow, I say that so much in real life. ^_^ The more hits the better, but also... more little kiddies asking for homework help last minute.
    "It is when the feet weary and hope seems vain that the heartaches and the longings arise. Know, then, that for you is neither surfeit nor content. In your rocking chair, by your window dreaming, shall you long, alone. In your rocking chair, by your window, shall you dream such happiness as you may never feel."
    -- Sister Carrie