Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Hue-------

Hue-------

I know this is a literature forum. I guess, film script is a kind of literature as well. anyways, my assignment is due soon. This script for a short film i just wrote today. this is the 1st draft. I need to revise. I'll post it here. If any advice from you guys. that would be very helpful. Thank a lot.

Shoot all the indoor scene by black and white.
    Outdoor by colors.

Hue¡ª1st draft

1.No sound. A screen of black and white photography of Self Portrait in a Chair 1920 woodcut by MC.
    The picture becomes bigger and bigger. Closer and closer.
    A voice (voiceover)
    Wake up¡_The voice fades
    Wake up ¡_Hue
    The portrait in the picture seems so vivid that we feel it becomes alive. The voice we heard comes from the picture. The picture becomes really close. The voice becomes louder. Suddenly. It¡¯s like someone smash the picture on our faces. Cut to:
    We see the picture hang against the wall. In distance.
    Screen shifts from the picture to the back of a head. Dark hair. It was a nightmare that wakes the man up. He lies there still. No move. Breathe intensively. Gradually, he calms down. (As if we see by his eyes)Camera as his eyes, stays on his own arm, which is in front of his face, every close. Face against his arm. But we can¡¯t see his face. He pulls his head backward a little bit. Camera studies carefully on his arm. The hair on his arm.
    Tight on: It¡¯s like we see the hairs on his arms under a magnifying glass. His breath gently blows the hairs. We see the hairs jolt as if they are growing.
    Suddenly. The man shut his eyes. Dark screen. White letters appear. Meanwhile:
    (Voiceover)
    You wake up
    Follow time
    No bible in hand
    A stranger's face
    Paint it with the sun
    Cut to:

2. All black and white.
    Running water. Flush the toilet. Sound of brushing teeth. Sound of coughing. Sound of Boiling water. Other sounds. All these sounds as background sound. We see arms, hands, legs, chest and back; all those parts of body are doing all the things we list above. Camera jolts. The screen we view is slightly shaking randomly. No face of the narrator.
    Holden Hue (Voiceover)
    I¡¯m Hue. That¡¯s my family name. People call me (Paused here)
    A boy¡¯s voice from out of the window, loud:
    Holden! 11:00. No delay. No excuse. No absence.
    Sound of a motorcycle driving away.
    Holden (v.o.)
    That¡¯s Cody. I don¡¯t like him. We are sorta colleagues. We work for the same person. The same purpose.(at here, he smashes a pack of money ¡°bills¡± on the table hard,bang!)

We still can¡¯t see Holden¡¯s face. He picks the coffee cup up. A moment. Puts it down on the table again. All the movements are quick. Walks into his bedroom. Gets naked. Starts to put on under wears and every garment. Shirts. Socks. Puts the tie around his neck. Doesn¡¯t tie it tight. He is in a hurry. Along with the dressing up. His voice narrates:
    Holden (v.o.)
    No beards. No mustache. No shave on head. My girlfriend¡¯s rules. She loves my hair.
    She says I am a great painter cause I ¡®m sharp to colors.
    For me, I wish I could never paint.
    He grabs a pen. A photo. He starts to write. After he finishes it. He sticks the photo on the wall. Blank side with handwriting. We can hardly see the content.
    Cut to:
    Bang. Slams the door behind his back. The screen shifts from black and white to natural color of the world. A busy morning. In the street. Holden walks. We see his back. Follow him. People are beckoning to each other.
    A man, Mid-age, Pats on Holden¡¯s back shoulder:
    Hey, Holden.
    Holden is startled and turn his head around. Screen frozen. Static.
    Clinking. A sound of shutter of the camera. A snapshot of Holden¡¯s face. Black and white. A few seconds. Continue the last scene. Everything backs to normal. Moving.
    We see Holden ¡®s face. A young guy. Around his 20. Dark eyes. Flows with sadness. Fair face. Very nice hair. Not striking looking. But decent.
    Holden (surprisingly):
    Hey. Mr. Kimberly. You live around Fleming?
    Clinking. A snapshot of Mr. Kimberly. In the photo, a big smile on his face.
    Kimberly (seems quite excited):
    Yes. We just moved here. My wife wants to send Lana to Jean¡¯s elementary school. Hey, where are you going? I can give you a drive. You looks you are in a hurry.
    Holden pauses and speaks:
    No thanks. I¡¯m used to walk.
    Mr. Kimberly pats on Holden¡¯s shoulder. Smiles:
    Let¡¯s hurry up, boy. My car is over there.
    Holden stands beside Mr. Kimberly. Suddenly; Phone rings. Kimberly: Excuse me. He picks up the cell and starts to talk. Looks out the street. While Kimberly¡¯s talking on phone. A pause. Mr. Kimberly Stares Holden at the corner of his eye. Hoping Holden is not noticing. Feels uncomfortable. But, he feels relaxed for Holden is occupied by the view of the street. Sneakily, he speaks at a low voice:
    Hey, sweetheart. It¡¯s me. Hum..Me too..
    Holden:
    Mr. Kimberly. I gotta get going. Say hey to Mrs Kimberly and Lana.
    While Holden¡¯s saying bye to Mr. Kimberly. He¡¯s walking away. Holden walks .
    Holden (v.o)
    Mr. Kimberly. My father¡¯s old colleague. His wife is a doctor. Their girl-Lana, is the kid who read ¡°Othello¡± at her 6.
    Cut to:
    Holden arrives at a place. Holden Stands by the sidewalk. We see his back and a big glass door in front of him. His reflection in the glass door. And a reflection of a tree. He stares into the glass. Slowly turns his head around. He sees a tree.( Clinking. A snapshot of the tree). A few seconds. Moving again. So big and tall. The sun hides behind the branches of the tree. The lights travel thro the leaves. Holden looks up and gazes at the tree. As if something amazes him a lot.
    Cut to:
    In door. All Black and white again. Holden walks in a long corridor.
    Holden ( v.o)
    My mom says I am always blind. I don¡¯t observe the world around me. I¡¯m careless to the things that I suppose to pay attention to. Mr. Dick got a new house. The lawyer next door drives a fancy Lincoln. Barber Young¡¯s daughter got pregnant but the guy runaway to nowhere. Tons of them are big news to my mom. My father is a man with few words. His world seems perfect to himself. One ban in our house set by my father. No plants. No pets. No debates.
    End of the corridor. Holden walks into a room. Hand turns the knob of the door. Door opens. A mid-age woman appears. Cling. A snapshot of the woman. Long black hair. Dressed up decently. Heavy makeup makes her look younger.
    Mrs. Simon, blinks and welcome this young guy:
    I¡¯m waiting for you. (Smiles seducingly)
    Holden walks in, unwilling smile, look on the ground (uneasily) Looks up at the hanging clock on the wall behind Mrs. Simon¡¯s back:
    Holden speaks:
    10:26
    Simon follows Holden¡¯s sight. Looks back at the clock. A big smile, explains:
    (Chuckles) No. You never late. Just a minute. Take a seat.
    She opens a cabinet. Fumbles for something. She turns her head and ogles at this young man. Holden looks at ground and plays with his fingers. Simon Shut the cabinet slowly and walks towards the sofa. She stops at a place every close to Holden. Holden looks up. Expects the files from her hand. She puts the files by the side of Holden on sofa. Arms meets Holden¡¯s suit. Suddenly, she bends down. Reaches for Holden¡¯s untied necktie. Tries to fix it. Her face gets close to Holden¡¯s, Her breasts faces Holden. Holden jerks off. Stands up.
    Holden stammers:
    Thanks. Mrs. Simon. I leave it that way. My girlfriend says it looks better.
    Simon bites her lips, stares at Holden:
    Hum. Yea, it does look better.
    Holden picks up the files from the sofa. Asks:
    When is it due?
    Simon:
    How long do you need?
    Holden replies thankfully:
    As usual.
    Simon snickers:
    Alright. As usual. One day of delay. 30 percent off.
    Holden:
    Thanks. I will be back next Monday.
    Laughs, Simon:
    Don¡¯t you work here in my company every single day?
    Holden:
    Not in this room. (Smiles).
    As Holden speaks, he¡¯s already walked to the door. Opens it, shuts it behind.
    Last edited by Avalive; 04-17-2004 at 06:24 AM.
    Nothing but nothingness

Holden walks in that long corridor again. (Voiceover):

Mrs. Simon. 39. Age is a quite personal thing for a woman. I knew it by accident. I¡¯m telling you this cause she looks like 29. Sex can prevent a woman from aging. That might be true in Mrs. Simon¡¯s case. A horny spider waiting on her web. All the guys around her have a possibility to got caught by her web. The context is always the same. Some got caught. While, there are always some safe.
    Holden walks down the stairs. Another man meets him.
    The man, a staff, hurriedly a snapshot of the man)
    What¡¯s up. Holden. I¡¯ve been looking for you. Couldn¡¯t reach your cell.
    Stops and looks at the man.
    The man:
    Cody will meet you in front of the hall. He said you knew the time.
    Nods, Holden:
    Yea. I know. Thanks a lot.
    The man:
    Alright. I gotta going.
    The man left and goes to upstairs.
    Holden (v.o)
    That man called Seven. I don¡¯t know what he exactly does in this building. But, I see him everywhere.
    Holden comes to the end of the stairs. There is a door. He pushes hard and opens it.
    Cut to:
    Outside of the building. A colorful world. Stops the black and white photographing. Natural color as what we see in reality. We see trees. Birds, etc. A scene of nature. Land is green. Sunshine is so bright. He¡¯s waiting Cody. He takes a seat on a bench. A few seconds. He puts his hand in his pocket.
    Close in: His hand is taking a pack of cig out. He was about to get it out. Suddenly. He puts it back. Sits straight. A deep inhale.
    Holden (v.o)
    No smoke out door. No barbeque in yard. No vehicle. My rules. Sometimes, I wonder do I live in two worlds, since what I see out here is so much different from what I see inside of this building or any other wooden or concrete cubes. High-voltage wires scar the transparent sky. Plants, animals, they have the same spirits. Different from human traits. I feel I can only sense color when I¡¯m out here with all these whatnots. Dad says I¡¯m an animal that can read. Read is a terrible part if you think about it. It brings civilization. It brings everything and takes everything away at the same time. I feel sick when I¡¯m in there. It¡¯s hellish space you live with rats. Without sun, everywhere is a pit.
    A voice interrupts Holden¡¯s thoughts.
    Cody:
    Hey dude. When did you get here?
    A snapshot of Cody. A few seconds. Moving again.
    Holden stands up. They slap hands.
    Holden:
    Look. I¡¯m pretty sorry. But, I can¡¯t make it today. And I¡¯ll never do it again. I quit. I can't just do this and face the people that i love in my life. It drives me insane. As long as I'm alive. I can't do this no more!
    Cody:
    What¡¯s up? You are telling me you don¡¯t give a damn to 20 thousand bucks? You wanna stop?
    Cody¡¯ steps back. Shrugs. Laughs. Speaks:
    Do you think they can¡¯t find anyone else but you? You are ****ing right! You are a damn genius. Listen. If you don¡¯t go, they are gonna blow my goddamned head off.
    Holden is silent. Cody gets so irritated. Holden keeps silent. He starts to walk back to the building. Cody follows him. In the building. Black and white again.
    Cody:
    Listen. You have to go with me. You have no options. I¡¯m not asking you. I¡¯m telling you there are 20 thousand bucks waiting there. And my cursed life. They are serious. They will do what they said.
    Holden just walks. Suddenly, Cody runs to catch up Holden. From the back, Cody puts his arm round Holden¡¯s neck. Make Holden suffocated. Before Holden realized this, he¡¯s lost his strength. Cody covers something on Holden¡¯s face. Holden falls on his feet. In coma.
    Cut to:
    Black and white. Eyes. Blinks. Holden wakes up in another place. He tries to sit up. Opens up his eyes. He sees a man. (Clinking. A snapshot of the man). The man looks he¡¯s around his 50. We can¡¯t see his eyes, which are behind sunglasses. A sinister face. He¡¯s called Versero.
    Versero speaks at a low and harsh voice:
    How was your sleep? My boy. I missed you. I will give you 30 minutes and you will be ready for your next masterpiece.
    Two guys walk towards Holden. Grab his arms. Carry Holden to another room. Holden can¡¯t even stand up by himself. Those 2 guys unwrap Holden¡¯s clothes. Holden gets naked. They put him in a bathtub. Turns on the water. Holden sits in there. Numb. Speechless. The sound so running water.
    Holden( v.o)
    Mr. Versero. An Italian-American. The first time I met this man was 2 years ago. After I work for him, I¡¯m not an ordinary painter no more. I paint on human¡¯s body. No. I don¡¯t really paint. I copy any artwork Mr.Versero likes on his body. Any part he requests. Even on his penis. Money, I wanted money. I betrayed myself for it. I don¡¯t know what¡¯s going on with this insane world. I¡¯m the most ordinary guy you could ever meet. But, nobody knows what¡¯s going on in here with me. Life is full of uncertainties. There is a possibility that crimes can happen to any ordinary people in every corner on the planet. In darkness, evilness is invisible. I wish I could die under the sky. My body on grass. Face faces the sun. Where God can see me and protect me. I told Vila we will have a vacation under the sun. I told her I will be home early today. I told myself I will quit this time. And I still will.
    Cut to:
    Versero sits there. Drink. Starts to speak to Cody:
    Let the boy work today. No tomorrow should he meet.
    Cody is terrified, replies nervously:
    Yea. I ¡®ll find a better one.
    All of a sudden, another man gets in the room. Out of breath:
    He¡¯s dead. We didn¡¯t know when he did it. We just found the razor.
    Cut to:
    Holden¡¯s dead body in bloody water in the tub.
    Holden (v.o):
    The only escape and redemption for me is death. Everybody¡¯s afraid of death. But, when you fear to live more than to die. You feel good to do it. We meet many people in a day. Each of them has their own stories. They live both in sunlight and in darkness, in which their sins are sealed. My death is not a big deal. Too many people die every single second for countless reasons. I¡¯m just one of them. I¡¯m not sad. I¡¯m coming to the sun.
    Two guys walks in. Pull Holden¡¯s dead body out of blood and water.
    Cut to:
    A throw (black and white screen shifts to natural color). Holden¡¯s body smashes on the grass. Everything looks so nice in nature. Colorful and warm. Nothing changes from what it was. Tree waves in wind.
    Cut to:
    Many people crowd Holden¡¯s dead body. Cops are around. Police cars. Clinking. Snapshot of Holden¡¯s body. Frozen the screen. A few seconds. Moves back to motion.
    A cop reports to another cop:
    Holden Hue. 22. Male. Occupation: A painter in Artwork manufacture company¡_
    Voice fades. Let¡¯s pull the camera higher and higher. We see Holden¡¯s dead body in the center of the crowds. Become smaller and smaller.
    Cut to:
    Door opens. Black and white photographing. We see a girl comes in. We see her legs, arms, breast, and every part of her body except her face. She puts a box on the floor. Walks towards the table. She picks up the pack of bills (Holden left it there). A few seconds she puts it back on the table. Turns around. Walks to the wall. She reaches out for the photo that is stuck there. Takes it off. Turns it to its back. We see the picture of Holden and a young girl in it. She turns it back to the side with handwriting. Walks towards to the window. Meanwhile.
    We hear the voiceover: Holden¡¯s voice:
    Hey dear, Guess you¡¯ve seen it. I¡¯ve got the brochure of some travel agencies. We got the money. Where ever you want to go. Just call them. We need to feel the sun, you know, you are the only color I see in this room. I want you to feel the color too. Sun paints everything. It is not in here. We gotta be out. I will be home early. Love, Holden.
    She walks to the phone. Picks it up slowly. She dials. Bee-Bee. Nobody answers.
    Vila : we see only her lips:
    Hey. I¡¯m home. I got you a little gift. You will like it. Anyways. I¡¯m waiting for you.
    She puts the phone back gently. She approaches to the box that she just put down on the floor. She bows down. Opens it. Takes out a thing¡ªwe can see it¡¯s a plant. She brings it close to the window and put it there. Then, walks to the window. She pushes the window hard. Bang. It opens. Black and white shifts to colorful. We see the plant becomes green. Very lovely color. Out of the window. The sky. The sun. Really bright. Appear Title of the movie.

The end
    Last edited by Avalive; 04-17-2004 at 03:57 PM.
    Nothing but nothingness