6 20.00%
  • Brothers Karamazov - Fyoder Dostoyevsky

6 20.00%
  • Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austin

7 23.33%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: June book voting.

Quote Originally Posted by verybaddmom
    Dex, if you are looking to read some Margaret Atwood, also be sure and try "Alias grace", "the robber bride", "cat's eye" and "the edible woman". also, her short story "the resplendent quetzal" (sp) was excellent.
    i might be a fan...im not sure....
    Don't forget "Oryx and Crake," it's great as well

Right in the happy button IWilKikU's Avatar
    Waynesboro, Virginia. The beautiful Shenandoah Valley
    All I have to say is that if you guys make me read fricking Pride and Prejudice, you're all going to have to listen to me bittch and moan about it for the whole damn month! No one wants that, do they?
    ...Also baby duck hat would be good for parties.

And using a slightly different, but perhaps more compelling, argument than Kik's () ... hasn't everybody who likes P & P (and I'm one) already read it more than once? Wouldn't it be nice to read something refreshingly new?

Blog Entries
    well let's discuss p&p at least! if we aren't to read it a 5th time!
    shh!!!
    the air and water have been here a long time, and they are telling stories.

an innate contradiction verybaddmom's Avatar
    amuse, you should be pleased to know that i picked up three new books at the used book store today....P&P, W&P and Lady Chatterly's lover. that should keep me busy for the next year or so, considering that i am a few chapters into hunchback and still struggling with Atlas Shrugged . arghh...why do i do this to myself. i think i should just stop, and read the ikea catalogue cover to cover for a break...

EDIT: i guess this post could be included in the "what has this forum inspired you to read" thread too!!
    Then we sat on the edge of the earth, with our feet dangling over the side, and marvelled that we had found each other.

I got a good book in the Oxfam shop yesterday too....The Handmaids Tale! I hope we don't have to read Pride and Prejudice...its a deadly boring, soap opera set in the past but The HandmaidsTale - well I didnt mean to cheat, but I read the first page and I couldnt put it down. What a difference in readability to the Hunchback of Notre Dame! I've never read any of Margeret Atwood before but I have Oryx and Crake on my book shelf that my friend gave me as a present but never got round to reading. I think I will be reading it soon...

Aren't there two more people out there who want to read "Brothers"? All I know is my grandmother recommended "Handmaid's Tale" to my mother, and if they like it I KNOW it's going to suck, because they're "Lovely Bones" and "Girl With A Pearl Earring" people -- the latter of which my mother convinced me to read while we were in Paris, thus ruining for me FOREVER both Vermeer and my memories of that trip.
    If you had to live with this you'd rather lie than fall.
    You think I can't fly? Well, you just watch me!

~The Dresden Dolls

Well time will tell if it's chosen Emily. Lots of people seem to like Atwood.gh I havent read any myself before and didn't expect her writing to be so intriguing. I have read the first chapters - and maybe it's cheating, but suspense is written into them from the very first sentence - you just have to read on to find out what will happen next. There is mystery interwoven into each paragraph, and you just want to read on quickly to find the answers. Whether this will continue throughout the book I dont know but I am very impressed with the beginning...don't knock it till you've tried it Emily!!

I liked lovely bones!

I've got the stage where I don't care what we read as long as we start! (My interium book is not very good). And it's a three way tie now?!

By the way I've released some bookcrossing books (for those who remember the thread) and got a journal note posted back- it's a fantastic feeling. Today I'm releasing "Vernon God Little"; how cool would it be if one of you found it?!

Blog Entries
    notre dame isn't boring - if some of the chapters are horrid, they're worth reading later. This Will Kill That was excruciating, but i plan to check it out again later. A Bird's Eye View of Paris was a bit of an architectural dissertation, but at the end became sublime, and that is on my reread as well. at the moment, the priest
    spoiler

is declaring his love for esmeralda. not bad, considering he killed her lover for want of her hellish self.

and p&p is pretty layered; a soap opera, a study of family/marriage, others study it for feminist views. it's been used to soothe soldiers in wwii, and studied in the 70's.
    ah well. each to our own.
    shh!!!
    the air and water have been here a long time, and they are telling stories.

smeghead
    *hugs amuse*
    ahhhhh notre dame. nice that somebody should stick up for it.
    Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.
    (Mark Twain)

smeghead
    wait, so what's the june book?????
    Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.
    (Mark Twain)

U cant vote for books u havent read. I have read only Preide and Prejudice (ohmy whata word to spell...) Well, but P&P is a great book, so maybe I woulda voted for it anyway. Lotta people seam to like it... thats nice!

an innate contradiction verybaddmom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by faith
    U cant vote for books u havent read.
    i have to say that i disagree largely, as part of the fun of this club is having the opportunity to vote for and read books that you havent met before. i have felt guilty, in fact, voting for a book that i have read!
    Then we sat on the edge of the earth, with our feet dangling over the side, and marvelled that we had found each other.

Why can't you vote for books you haven't read, again? I thought that was the point of the book club? Oh well, so it's PandP, then, eh? Okay, I can live with that.

(And, this probably should be going in the Hunch thread, but I didn't mind Bird's Eye View very much either. Although, it certainly helps to have already seen Paris from the top of Notre Dame, because I could easily picture the view. It's just so hard to pick that book back up once you've put it down. )
    If you had to live with this you'd rather lie than fall.
    You think I can't fly? Well, you just watch me!

~The Dresden Dolls

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast