• The Handmaids Tail - Margaret Atwood

6 20.00%
  • Brothers Karamazov - Fyoder Dostoyevsky

6 20.00%
  • Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austin

7 23.33%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: June book voting.

Oh thanks *enlightened face* I'm glad someone told me this is not the official voting poll. I wondered why the thread was so vaguely worded- it all makes sense now. May 1 is not far away so I guess I'll have to wait patiently.

DHM doesn't stand for anything as exotic as my fav author/poet it is a cross bw my intials and my work password.

Originally posted by emily655321
    Hi dhm. This isn't the official voting thread -- it's just one Kik cooked up to get a general idea of the way people were leaning. I believe actual voting opens next week? Anyway, there's a book a month, so the next book starts May 1, whichever that may be.

Oh, and EAP stands for Edgar Allan Poe, by the way. What does dhm stand for?

Right in the happy button IWilKikU's Avatar
    Waynesboro, Virginia. The beautiful Shenandoah Valley
    Actually folks, this IS the official voting thread. Admin doesn't have time to run the book club, so its left up to us. Somehow I'm always the one who ends up starting these voting threads, but I'm not an official book club MOD.

The way it works: 1st-15th is nomination time. Whoever starts the voting thread (usually me) posts a poll thread (like this one) on the 16th, with all (or if there are more than ten, most) of the noms. Everyone votes until the last of the month, the book with the most votes is the new book, nominations start again. We've never had a tie before, so if this is a first I don't know what will happen, but Admin is pretty good about declaring the official book by the 2nd or 3rd, so maybe he'll choose, or maybe we'll revote with just the two books as noms, who knows?
    ...Also baby duck hat would be good for parties.

an innate contradiction verybaddmom's Avatar
    go handmaid's tale....c'mon handmaid's tale
    *said in manner of one cheering on horses at the track*
    Then we sat on the edge of the earth, with our feet dangling over the side, and marvelled that we had found each other.

Thanks IWilKikU clear as mud. (btw can you explain your user name? It seems like a thinly disguised attempt to mask violent tendencies; I must be wrong?) Maybe a two book poll. I'm with Verybaddmom mostly because I like Atwood and the book is shorter which is imp since May is a big month for me already.
    Last edited by dhm; 04-25-2004 at 10:48 PM.

Well, actually my user name IS a thinly disguised attempt to mask violent tendencies. You are very perceptive . Thats what I do to people who vote against me in the book club

lol. I stand warned! You're going for Atwood right? Please say yes...

Cowering in fear

Ok guys, The Book Club is in a state of emergency!!! Last month we chose Hunchback of Notre Dame, which is the longest club book to date. We chose it at a crucial time in the semester, and seeing as the majority of us that take part in the club are students, we had to prioritize, and I think only one person actually finished it. Congrats Starling. I'm not even half way done with it. Now we're approaching a new month and most of us arn't ready for a new book. I propose that extend Hunchback for one more month. I know, those of you who arn't reading it won't like this idea, but those of us who actually are never were able to finish.

If no one likes this idea, we still have a big problem. Its 10:33 PM GMT, and there's a three way tie between P&P, Brothers, and Handmaid. If we do elect a new book, I propose that we undergo a 10 day period of revoting with only these three as nominees. That way Nader-voters, like myself, will be able to pick from one of these three, where before we voted for a loser . I think thats an aceptable form of tiebreaker. Do you? What say you, Admin?

Then again there is still an hour and twenty minutes for someone to break the tie the old fassioned way.

I'm all for extending Hunchback, personally. I know there were a couple of people who joined in the middle of the month who expressed interest in reading it too, so.. my two cents.

If we do that, though, would we begin again with nominations for June, or just vote for the ones in this poll again at the end of May?
    If you had to live with this you'd rather lie than fall.
    You think I can't fly? Well, you just watch me!

~The Dresden Dolls

Blog Entries
    yesyesyes! *clean your minds up! seriously, that's a great idea. i haven't picked it up notre dame in a few days, and here it is may and so only - picks up book ('bout time ) - almost halfway through.
    shh!!!
    the air and water have been here a long time, and they are telling stories.

I think it sounds like a good plan all around -- especially if we vote on the tied ones about half-way through the month, then we'll have more time to read whichever wins for the next month, too. (Does that make sense? It does in my head)
    At the end of the game, the king and the pawn return to the same box...

Haha yeah it does. That's the good thing about running the club polls and stuff ourselves. We'll know when everyone's done, and can decide what to do next. Depending on what book gets chosen, we could either do it just for the latter half of May or get a head start on June. Although... P&P and Bros. K are 1.5 monthers I guess. Atwood fans, about how long is Handmaid's Tale?
    If you had to live with this you'd rather lie than fall.
    You think I can't fly? Well, you just watch me!

~The Dresden Dolls

In my opinion, it's not a killer but it's pretty on par with P&P lengthwise, so I would say it's a 1 1/2er as well...
    At the end of the game, the king and the pawn return to the same box...

an innate contradiction verybaddmom's Avatar
    293 pages of easy, absorbing reading...in my hand

the Handmaid's tale that is
    Then we sat on the edge of the earth, with our feet dangling over the side, and marvelled that we had found each other.

smeghead
    I'd like to say that I will personally hurt anyone who votes for pride and prejudice... but that's another book i've already read so less reading for me! gooooooo godfather!
    Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.
    (Mark Twain)

Well, since techinically WE run the book club rather than Admin, I'm going to take you're support as grounds for agreement that we should indeed extend hunchback. So... I'll start a new thread for voting on the three tied books only. We'll stay on Hunchback until the end of the month, and next month we'll read the winner of the next vote.

Ooooh!, Before I start a new voting thread, should we wait to actually start the vote until the 15th (standard date to begin voting), or should we just start it now?

!!!OR!!! Should we just leave this thread open until the end of the month, so that the other books also have a chance to win?

Argh. The choices

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast