Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anybody help me Please?? - Victorian Literature

Can anybody help me Please?? - Victorian Literature

I have to do a project in my grade 12 english class on victorian literature, and I have to do an essay on it. The essay is this: I have to come up with the "themes" of victorian literature (like what makes the piece victorian, the charactersitics of victorian literature) and use examples from victorian books and poems to "prove" or support the themes. I am finding difficutly finding themes and books or poems with the themes in them.. I am wondering if anyone knows Anything about victorian literature?? Any help would be SOOO gladly appreciated!!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!

laudator temporis acti andave_ya's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    try Sheridan LeFanu. He's a Victorian gothic writer (I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for.) It should be fairly easy to analyze it. I had a book once but I haven't seen it in ages...
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,
    "To talk of many things:
    Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
    Of cabbages--and kings--
    And why the sea is boiling hot--
    And whether pigs have wings."

nobody said it was easy barbara0207's Avatar
    If I understand you right, you need an overview of Victorian literature first. You might try Wikipedia, then any guide to English literature (eg the Pelican Guide to English Literature or similar works, ask your librarian). Such books usually give you an overview of subjects writers of a certain era used and also examples of novels or poetry on these themes. You cannot read all Victorian literature first, that would take you ages to complete your project ...

Try reading some Victorian books.

Themes - Well a fair number crop up regularly. The place of the individual in society. The artist's struggle. Art as a utility or for its own sake. Faith versus materialism. The inner versus the outer life. The position of women. Rather oddly you might find quite a lot of these themes in Tennyson's 'Lady of Shalott' which is not a simple romantic poem. But the Victorian era was big. So there are numerous recurring themes.

I did read the Lady of Shallot actually.. i like it, but yeah i just dont get how any themes apply. and i dont have access to any actual books because i live in a small town and cannot get to them.. so im looking on the internet for some and i found some but i can't apply the themes to the stories. i hate school. but thanks for tryin to help, i guess i just have to start thinking lol.

Well the tower is symbolic. It's the narrow domesticated world of the Middle class woman of Tennyson's day. It also represents the self-imposed exile of the artist from society. The artist is represented as a thinker and creator but not an active doer, not a participant in the life going by. The artist is represented as not being fully understood by the masses and women's needs not understood by men. Sex is portrayed as extremely dangerous (not much change there then) and so on and so forth....

rat in a strange garret Whifflingpin's Avatar
    One recurring theme, possibly unique to Victorian literature, is "What makes a gentleman?"

The classic example is "John Halifax, Gentleman" by Mrs Craik. As the introduction to an 1898 edition puts it: "The growth and development of the Novel forms one of the characteristics of the literature of the Victorian era, and probably no work of fiction issued during this period has stimulated that development to such an extent, and at the same time cast so pure and ennobling influence over all classes of readers, as 'John Halifax, Gentleman.' From its publication, in the now out-of-date, three volume form, in 1856 to the present time [1898] it has been in steady and constant demand."

Other books of the period with the same theme include "Ravenshoe" by Henry Kingsley, "Tom Brown's Schooldays" by Thomas Hughes, "Tristram of Blent" by Anthony Hope.

That intention to "cast so pure and ennobling influence over all classes of readers" is a characteristic that is more or less confined to the Victorian era - would Jane Austen not have been embarrassed to be described in those terms, or Virginia Woolf? Yet, in the period that lies between these two, such a description would have been considered a high accolade.

And - apologies to Ennison - I think that the idea that Victorian women lived in a narrow domesticated world is probably a modern, not a Victorian concept. For Victorians' ideas on their own middle class life, try Kipling's Mrs Hauksbee stories, or Hope's "Intrusions of Peggy" or the Grossmiths' "Diary of a Nobody."

Of course, you could just play safe and read just about anything by Dickens. Pretty well any of his books deal in some way with any theme you could think of. Amuse yourself by reading "Pickwick Papers," and note down as you do so any themes you encounter - you'll run out of paper before the book runs out of themes.
    Voices mysterious far and near,
    Sound of the wind and sound of the sea,
    Are calling and whispering in my ear,
    Whifflingpin! Why stayest thou here?

why not posit the thesis that there is no common theme specific to the victorian era -- or at least among the works of quality literature? to cite an example take thomas hardy and charles dickens. hardy's books are invariably tragic in nature and are peopled by rough country folks with a hard edge. a dickens' character whether he be a villian or a saint has a grotesque mental tic or a grotesque physical mannerism which gives his book a comedic slant however sad the ending. good luck.

i have a similar problem, i cannot find any descent websites that show me what i'm looking for. i respect and understand all the comments posted, and have taken them into account(: i just wondered if anyone can suggest any typical Victorian genres and characters? i, too, am doing an essay and it'd mean a lot if i do well. i'd appreciate it if you were to help, thankyou x

Blog Entries
    When i think of the victorian era, i think of mysticism, paranormal and supernatural. Books by Le Fanu, Stoker, Carroll, Stephenson, Wells (earlier works as he was quite late) And even in poems by Yeats.
    But then there were the novels that captured the life the victorian Era. Dickens, Gaskell, Hardy, Thackery, Trollope (although i'm humming over those last two.)
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Quote Originally Posted by S_KJC View Post
    i have a similar problem, i cannot find any descent websites that show me what i'm looking for. i respect and understand all the comments posted, and have taken them into account(: i just wondered if anyone can suggest any typical Victorian genres and characters? i, too, am doing an essay and it'd mean a lot if i do well. i'd appreciate it if you were to help, thankyou x
    What exactly do you mean by "typical Victorian genres and characters?" Do you mean the different genres and character types found within Victorian literature or literally, characters, famous literary characters found in Victorian literature? What exactly is the essay you have to do?

Blog Entries
    The Women Issue is a big thing in Victorian Literature. Practically any novel of this period, especially if written by a female, will deal with this issue. The Domestic Angel - was it Coventry Patmore who coined that or something? Anyway poems like My Last Duchess, Anee Bronte's the captive dove, novels like Dickens' our mutual friend, jane eyre etc. Anything that promotes women as the domestic goddess and her counter opposite. Also working as a governess/writer at the time, for females, has strong connotations of prostitution - e.g you are paid for your services. For non-fiction critical stuff - if you're interested in this whole women issue - i'd recommend 'the mad woman in the attic' by Gilbert and Gubar. They've written a lot of books together so i'd look into other stuff they've done - most of it is on victorian literature. And finally if you're going to look at the women issue you can use the french lieutenant's women - excellent novel to compare to the more earlier stuff. Good luck and hope this has been useful.
    We can never know what to want, because living only one life we can neither compare it with our previous lives, nor perfect it in our lives to come'
    Milan Kundera,The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Parce que c'est toi, parce que c'est moi

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    What was Dickens again?
    Mrs Craik, was good although my fav is Olive, mind its three volumes long.
    George Macdonald is also lovley that mix of moralty and mystesim and grom reality ( see Sir Gibbie)
    As for women has anyone else read A woman's Patience by Emma Jane Worboise. ?
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

George Gissing is a Victorian writer who was very influential in his day and in some ways is a precursor to George Orwell . His own life is as astonishing as any of his novels and it is unbelievable that he has received scant attention on this forum condsidering what a major figure he is in Victorian Literature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast