Thread: I'm trying to understand this piece of text from "The Crucible"

I'm trying to understand this piece of text from "The Crucible"

I'm trying to understand each and every single sentence and word in the play "The Crucible". It gives me a real feel of the literature. Anyways, in the introduction, when Arthur Miller is explaining the setting and background of Salem and the Trials, there's this:
    "This predilection for minding other people's business was time-honored among the people of Salem, and it undoubtedly created many of the suspicions which were to feed the coming madness. It was also, in my opinion, one of the things that a John Proctor would rebel against, for the time of the armed camp had almost passed, and since the country was reasonably--although not wholly--safe, the old disciplines were beginning to rankle."
    The italics part is what I'm not clear about. Is Miller trying to say that the previous "time of the armed camp" - as in because they moved away from Britain to North America and that brought with it a militant atmosphere - was the reason for the "predilection" and now that the "time" had almost passed, some would no longer see any reason to have this "predilection" and would in fact find it negative and rebel against it? And that in turn would set forth the two sides of the play? Or, am I getting it wrong?

And then also, the part after that, I don't really get at all:
    "But, as in all such matters, the issue was not clear-cut, for danger was still a possibility, and in unity still lay the best promise of safety."
    Is he trying to say that rebelling is not an appropriate thing given that the circumstances are not exactly clear, and one should instead be cohesive?

I don't have any special knowledge about what Miller is getting at, but it seems clear to me. By 1690, Salem was no longer quite on the edge of the frontier, and was no longer an "armed camp" to protect itself from the dangers of the wild (human and otherwise), whether real or imagined. "The country was reasonably...safe."

Blog Entries
    I agree with Ecurb. Salem was safe and didn`t need such militant regime.

@comfort Cube: "The Crucible" is my favourite Miller`s play and I hope that you`ll enjoy it as I do I am going to re-read it soon.

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    I must disagree with the other two posters. In 1692 Salem Village (now Danvers) was next to wilderness. The wasn't an active war at that moment, but the previous war with the French and Indians was only a few years past, and there were to be several more active wars. It may look like Salem Village would be fairly safe, but during the Seven Years War (AKA The French and Indian War) the St. Francis took captives from places that were as well or even better settled.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterL View Post
    I must disagree with the other two posters. In 1692 Salem Village (now Danvers) was next to wilderness. The wasn't an active war at that moment, but the previous war with the French and Indians was only a few years past, and there were to be several more active wars. It may look like Salem Village would be fairly safe, but during the Seven Years War (AKA The French and Indian War) the St. Francis took captives from places that were as well or even better settled.
    Perhaps. But what else could Miller have meant? Salem was founded in 1626. By 1670 (or so) it was a fairly prosperous port, and although dangers probably continued to exist, it was doubtless safer (or at least the residents FELT safer) than it was 50 years earlier.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar
    I own a copy that contains some notes, offering some insight into Salem and incidents that took place. If I remember correctly, it is mentioned that Salem was a relatively safe place in those days.

I shall look it up and return to the thread with references.
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Voice of Chaos & Anarchy
    In one of the branches of the multiverse, but I don't know which one.
    Blog Entries
    I don't know anything in particular that Miller might have meant, but I am fairly familiar with the history of New England (but I'm horrible with the dates). While Salem was relatively safe, I was mistaken earlier; there was an Indian War at that time. King William's War was from 1688 to 1697. During that war there were indian raid to within a few miles of Salem. I believe that men were required to be armed at all times. The famous Hannah Dustin incident was during this war, and Hannah was captured in Haverhill, which is one town over from Danvers. In 1692 this was the frontier.