Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do we replace jesus with the easter bunny?

Banned

Why do we replace jesus with the easter bunny?

Like on the easter or in christmas, why do we replace something else other than Jesus on those days? Marketing?

Ace of Spades
    But first of all, Christmas and Easter replaced pagan celebrations first, when much of Europe converted to Christianity. And on a strange reverse of fortune, secularism and separation of church and consumerism arose the need to create or reinvent other holiday icons under pressure from non-Christian citizens.

Put rather flippantly, I didn't want to bother to google some of this information.

Banned
    the rise of non-christians fits very well.

But the quote of Jesus is unknown: " there was a plower who sow his seed. Some fell in stoney ground but was eaten by the birds: the hears listen for a while and turns away. Some fell in vines but the roots were choke because of the desires of hearers. And some feel in good soil, and they persist until they bear fruit"

Post Easter

Dan, re: your first question about Easter, the short answer is "yes".

Also, bunnies (rabbits) -rapid breeders; and (Easter) eggs - are associated with (surprise) fertility.

Easter -> Spring -> old fertility festivals preceding Christian festivals, etc.

Blog Entries
    As everyone else has said Easter replaced a pagan rfestival on the day of the Spring equinox, which changes date every year. it was a festival celebrating the rebirth and fertility of the land and the return of light. Oddly enough Easter celebrate the rebirth of Christ and the return of the light.

It is a known fact that many christian occasions are based on pagan ones. They even made pagan deities christian saints. St Brigit is an example of this.
    Last edited by Niamh; 05-10-2007 at 06:48 AM.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Banned
    I guess e conclusion it was a concidence?

We celebrate spring, or the beginning of life and just so it happens to be easter sunday where christ rose from the dead. You guys are very poor buisnessmen.

If I was a buissnessmen, I will look at the population and statistics on that day of festivial and I will manipulate it and turning it into something else, the celebration will become different. I will do promotion and avertisement.

DADA the low intelligent minds of chrisitians have been manipulated. Now the world has became wise as a serpent it is hard to manipulate. But their gentleness as a dove once when they were chrisitians has become lion property hungry.

Well I would have to say The same as everyone else, the reasoning for what you call "the replacement" has to do with the belief of other countries, and religions. Don't you think that the Church decided these days on prupose? It's not just a clever marketing stragety by big buisness, it's also a clever stragety created by the Church.
    And in the end
    it's not the years
    in your life that
    count. It's the life
    in your years.

Rina

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinas_Jaded View Post
    Well I would have to say The same as everyone else, the reasoning for what you call "the replacement" has to do with the belief of other countries, and religions. Don't you think that the Church decided these days on prupose? It's not just a clever marketing stragety by big buisness, it's also a clever stragety created by the Church.
    yes exactly! It wasnt a coincedence. it was infact purposely done to convert pagans to the religion. basicly saying " look we have the same festivals but we call them feast days! And we also have all your gods rolled into one."
    easter-spring equinox
    Christmas- was origionally mid winter (now 25th)
    May day(feast of mary)- i think was Bealtaine
    best example is holloween(all hallows)- now the feast of all saints.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    Humm take egypt there the original pharonic holiday is still celebrated and it falls on the monday of the Coptic easter. Actually this year both easters fell at the same time which is very very rare but Im diverting.
    Basically the holidays were already there and people like routine, so whats the harm in letting them chose any old day to celcbrate somthing, none really.
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dan020350 View Post
    Like on the easter or in christmas, why do we replace something else other than Jesus on those days? Marketing?
    Say hello to capitalism.

Banned
    Does capitalism make capitalist intelligent or dumb? Dumb meaning farther away from the source and truth, assume there is?

Because, people don't care as much about Jesus as they do about chocolate. Personally, I wait a week for the chocolate to go on sale before buying it. Though I don't believe in Jesus being resurrected, or the idea that he even died on that day (though the orthodox have a more accurate date).

Somewhat unrelated but...
    Quote Originally Posted by aemy View Post
    Also, bunnies (rabbits) -rapid breeders; and (Easter) eggs - are associated with (surprise) fertility.
    Perhaps, but I have reason to believe that the egg "tradition" may also have its roots in a legend telling of Mary Magdalene's visit to Emporer Tiberias post-resurrection. As it goes, Mary Magdalene brought an egg to the emporer as a symbol of Christ's ressurection. Upon hearing her account, Tiberias claimed that "no one could rise from the dead, anymore than the egg [she] held could turn red." And as he spoke the egg, miraculously, turned red bearing divine proof of her claim. (www.thenazareneway.com)
    "These are the true felicities. No joy beyond these joys. Love is the only ecstasy, everything else weeps. To love or to have loved, that is enough. Ask nothing further. There is no other pearl to be found in the dark folds of life. To love is a consummation."
    - Les Misérables, Hugo

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by setPhree View Post
    Somewhat unrelated but...

Perhaps, but I have reason to believe that the egg "tradition" may also have its roots in a legend telling of Mary Magdalene's visit to Emporer Tiberias post-resurrection. As it goes, Mary Magdalene brought an egg to the emporer as a symbol of Christ's ressurection. Upon hearing her account, Tiberias claimed that "no one could rise from the dead, anymore than the egg [she] held could turn red." And as he spoke the egg, miraculously, turned red bearing divine proof of her claim. (www.thenazareneway.com)
    No i think there was something in one of the pagan religions regarding eggs. Not sure which one though.
    W.B.Yeats

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JBI View Post
    Because, people don't care as much about Jesus as they do about chocolate. Personally, I wait a week for the chocolate to go on sale before buying it. Though I don't believe in Jesus being resurrected, or the idea that he even died on that day (though the orthodox have a more accurate date).
    I this this poster after my previous.

That is true to the extent of I love chocalates more. They don't care about jesus because they don't care about themselves. Because they do not care about themselves they do not care about anyone else. So how can they care about JEsus or care for themselves if they are like John Rawls would say in " veil of ignorance' ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast