Thread: near rhyme

Blog Entries

near rhyme

Can anyone remind me of the technical term for a near rhyme? One that's slightly off as in

The rhyme was a nice one
    Though it rather lacked precision

It's been bugging me for weeks
    what the technical term for this might be

begins with an A I think.

Ta!

When browsing for 'near rhyme', I couldn't find much more than this:

'Near Rhyme: also called approximate rhyme, slant rhyme, off rhyme, imperfect rhyme or half rhyme, a rhyme in which the sounds are similar, but not exact, as in home and come or close and lose. Most near rhymes are types of consonance.'

Because it starts with 'A', and it is in itself a near-'near rhyme', 'anarhyme' caught my eye:

'Anarhyme is an interesting idea which has not yet gained much favour. Here, the "rhyming" lines end with the same three consonants, though not necessarily in the same order e.g. humanity and not me, or honest and sit on. Perhaps the inventor of anarhyme got the idea from languages like Turkish and Arabic, where (as I understand it) the root of a word consists of three consonants, in no particular order - e.g. "Muslim" and "Islam" come from a common root.'

Hope it is helpful somehow...

seasonably mediocre Il Penseroso's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I looked through my Norton appendix for anything starting with an A, and didn't find anything. They have it listed as off rhyme, slant rhyme, and half-rhyme, as well as near rhyme. I don't think I've heard anything more "technical" or complicated than these.
    and somehow a dog
    has taken itself & its tail considerably away
    into the mountains or sea or sky, leaving
    behind: me, wag.
    - John Berryman

Blog Entries
    Thanks to you both, but we're not there yet.

Gosh. I was expecting the thread to be shorter than this. I first read the term I'm thinking of here, as I remember it, though it might have been at poets.org. Then I said something about near rhyme at a party and a very aggressive woman said very aggressively, 'Yes, that's a--------, whichs is...' and went on aggressively proving she knew more about literature and writing than anyone else. Perhaps it slightly traumatised me and that's why I can't remember.

As I observed the interpretation in oxford dictionary of literary terms, that near rhyme may consist of two general groups, one is match of vowel sounds but not consonants in the stressed syllables, the other is...vice versa:
    assonance
    the repetition of identical or similar vowel sounds in the stressed syllables (and sometimes in the following unstressed syllables) of neighbouring words: it is distinct from rhyme in that the consonants differ although the vowels or diphthongs match: sweet dreams, hit or miss. As a substitute for rhyme at the ends of verse lines, assonance (sometimes called vowel rhyme or vocalic rhyme) had a significant function in early Celtic, Spanish and French versification (notably in the chansons de geste), but in English it has been an optional poetic device used within and between lines of verse for emphasis or musical effect, as in these lines from Tennyson's 'The Lotos-Eaters':
    And round about the keel with faces pale,
    Dark faces pale against that rosy flame.
    The mild-eyed melancholy Lotos-eaters came.
    Adjective: assonantal. See also alliteration, consonance, half-rhyme.
    There is no polite way
    of being happy

Blog Entries
    Thanks, camellia!

I never knew the definition was so specific. But it makes sense.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kandaurov View Post

'Near Rhyme: also called approximate rhyme, slant rhyme, off rhyme, imperfect rhyme or half rhyme, a rhyme in which the sounds are similar, but not exact, as in home and come or close and lose. Most near rhymes are types of consonance.'

Because it starts with 'A', and it is in itself a near-'near rhyme', 'anarhyme' caught my eye:

'Anarhyme is an interesting idea which has not yet gained much favour. Here, the "rhyming" lines end with the same three consonants, though not necessarily in the same order e.g. humanity and not me, or honest and sit on. Perhaps the inventor of anarhyme got the idea from languages like Turkish and Arabic, where (as I understand it) the root of a word consists of three consonants, in no particular order - e.g. "Muslim" and "Islam" come from a common root.'

You know, I was so fixated on getting the answer that I failed to notice how interesting this post was. And also how near we were to the answer with the word 'consonance'.

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kandaurov View Post

This is interesting, althugh I was always under the impression that the arbic root the three letters had to be in a particuar order, but then again I only scraped through arabic by the skin of my teeth although searching for the root word was always my favourite question.
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading