Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: The Worst Classics You Have Ever Read

Ace of Spades
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunty-lion View Post
    Yeah, well that's the weird thing, I never leave books unfinished...
    Maybe I just didn't get it.
    Usually my policy too, but I have left a recent string of books unread -- a Russian fantasy, an Alan Ryan horror, and Mark Gatiss (two books I've since returned to the bookstore). From a lit stance, who cares that I didn't finish these. Experiments is what I rather consider them and I have bigger and better things to move onto besides.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesian View Post
    I rather wonder when Joyce will appear on this thread...
    Portrait of the Artist of a Young Man and Heart of Darkness.
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

Blog Entries
    I don't know if it counts, but since you said classics..I'd go for ANYTHING by Ben Jonson...the guy was WAY better in poetry than he was in plays..I mean I almost always slept while reading Volpone or The Alchemist...they're just too boring!
    And I really find it urgent to state that I'm a big fan of The Catcher in The Rye..lol
    I'm the patron saint of the denial,
    With an angel face and a taste for suicidal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bazarov View Post
    Yup I almost forgot to mention Heart of Darkness...this IS one of the least interesting books ever...wouldn't try to read it again in a million years! lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nossa View Post
    Yup I almost forgot to mention Heart of Darkness...this IS one of the least interesting books ever...wouldn't try to read it again in a million years! lol
    I couldn't agree with you more... and excuse me if I'm wrong about this but I think it was Joseph Conrad who said that Dostoevsky's The Brother's Karamazov (which is easily the greatest philosophical book I've ever read) was dull lol.... Dostoevsky's Karamzov runs to around 700 pages whereas Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness is an 80 paged novelette(or is it novella?)... It took me a fortnight to read Karamazov and three months to hollow through Heart of Darkness--

Here is Conrad's perception on The Brother's Karamazov (I got this from the comment section at the end of the B&N classics version.):

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Conrad (May 27th 1912)
    I do hope you are not too disgusted with me for not thanking you for the "Karamazov" before. It was very good of you to remember me; and of course I was extremely interested. But it's an impossible lump of valuable matter. It is terrifically bad and impressive and exasperating. Moreover, I don't know what D[ostoevsky] stands for or reveals, but I do know that he is too 'Russian' for me. It sounds to me like some fierce mouthings from prehistoric ages. I understand the Russians have just 'discovered' him. I wish them joy
    What irony...

That being said, I don't think many people can deny that Joseph Conrad did incorporate a certain degree of eloquence in his writing but just wasn't able to use his great vocabulary to his advantage like exceptional classic-writers Dickens, The Bronte Sisters and Dumas.
    My hide hides the heart inside

Blog Entries
    I know!! I mean seriously, reading his remarks on The Brother's Karamazov made me think ONE thing..."look who's talking" lol

Blog Entries
    LOL... glad we share a similar view on this matter, Nossa. Nice to meet you

Uh... in fact, there's quite a lot of classics I don't like:

Catch 22
    Catcher in the Rye
    Moby Dick
    Anna Karenina
    Sophie's Choice - that book almost destroyed my life. My teacher thought it was the best book of the 20th century... and I dared to disagree... (I tried to read it several times, but I never got beyond page 10.)

Plus, Dickens, Austen and Henry James - yes, all their works. Real pain to read them.

Blog Entries
    Catch 22, Catcher in the Rye... Moby Dick (some chapters in the middle)
    I'm glad you agree with me to an extent Aiculk but I must disagree with your views on Leo Tolstoy's Anna Karenina, Dickens, Austen and James.

I have been enthralled by their works for several years. Nice to see you posted though

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cuppajoe_9 View Post
    Middlemarch, although my claim to have read it is questionable.
    you took the word right out of my mouth cuppa. I too do not like Middlesmarch and my claims to have read it are also questionable!
    Quote Originally Posted by onyx View Post
    Have you found any classics that were simply unappealing yet according to to the general public considered some of the most outstanding literary works ever?

Yes, Wuthering Heights! Bloody boring book and movie too. Although I don't mind the Bronte family. I own all their novels, but can't say I've read any of them except Jane Eyre.
    most hated Evil book. Wuthering Heights
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Yes, we agree in some points... but I like Heart of Darkness. It's in my top 50, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by bazarov View Post
    Ah! Don't say that - I'm reading Portrait for class next month!

I must've been lucky, for I can't say that I've been displeased after reading a classic. The closest I got to that was two days ago, after reading Sense and Sensibility... but even after that, I still managed to find it interesting. My reading experience of it was what can best described as being traumatic, but I still like the impression that lingers after the read. Weird, I know.

Oh, I found Wuthering Heights a treat. It surprised me, I thought it would be much more conventional (and a third as complex in terms of narrative). The film adaptation, however, is appalling, to say the least...

Hm, I'm planning on reading Heart of Darkness and Portrait of a Young Man as an Artist... should I drop them and read something else?

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So many HoD critics. I admit it wasn't one of my easiest to get through. It did take me forever to read it. Some points were rather dull, but overall I am very happy I read it.

HoD, I have trouble describing what I liked about it. I liked that it WASN'T an adventure. Maybe some who didn't like it thought it was?? I liked that it was a frame story, kind of like the reader was walking in on a story. Hmm...don't know, but it does deserve some credit.

But I don't like how Conrad bashed Dostoevsky, he's one of my favorite authors, in that case, I am not sure Conrad had a place to speak.

Hmm...in regards to my choices, I didn't particularly care for Austen's Sense and Sensibility (but will reread it)

and then Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man...3/4 though this book I really had trouble figuring out what was going on, and what the point was.

You know, there was once upon a time when I would have included Fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury because I saw the play done rather badly, but on reading it, there's really no way I could put it in this list.

But I was told you either love Fahrenheit 451 or you hate it.
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

abnihilisation of the ety
    I think the real problem is that certain books are considered to be in the 'literary canon' while others aren't... 'classic' books really just represent the whoever is deciding they're classic, not the actual quality of the book... which is why I guess we get lists like these...

But anyways, I didn't really like Heart of Darkness (to racist for me) as well as Jane Eyre (I hate the way Bronte writes dialog). hmm, oh yeah, Faulkner - The Sound and the Fury. That books killed me... in a bad way.

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast