Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: God and Prophets

Bonafide...Savage. Neo_Sephiroth's Avatar
    "The Lord works from the inside out. The world works from the outside in. The world would take people out of the slums. Christ takes the slums out of the people and then they take themselves out of the slums. Christ changes men, who then changes their environment. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature." ~ Ezra Taft Benson

very Funny! strange beliefs you've got!
    I Love and Hate reading, you know why? Cuz my nights became sleepless when I discovered that Somethings called "books" do exist!

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    Now now...maybe I should say what I belive a prophet is to get the ball roling so to speak??
    A prophet, differant from a messenger.
    A prophet is reminder a person who tells and brings back messages that are already around, by being given a divine gift I should say. A messnger is one who sees the Angel Gabriel ( although maybe prophets do too??)-except moses who spoke directly to God_ and recives a new message to give to people. There were/are less messnger than Prophets. Neither are infalibale when it comes to people or ligfe, in fact most ended up cursing their people for their unwillingness to listen, but they can be trusted without doubt when it comes to matters of religion.

Thats what I belive, what do you believe??
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Heschel's 'The Prophets'

To paraphrase a few lines from Abraham J. Heschel's groundbreaking book:
    The Prophets are those that share in the pathos of God. Holding man and God in the same thought at all times, they are given over to despair, but provided with the means to rise above this despair. The prophet is one who can no longer distinguish between the Lord's anger, love and frustration from their own. They are saved, in the end, by an overwhelming vision of the Reconciliation of man and God at the end of the world as we know it...Shalom.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowy girl View Post
    very Funny! strange beliefs you've got!
    Maybe...Maybe not. Maybe I'm crazy...Maybe you're crazy...*Gasps*...Maybe we're both crazy?!

Maybe it's just all-good...Sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Now now...maybe I should say what I belive a prophet is to get the ball roling so to speak??
    A prophet, differant from a messenger.
    A prophet is reminder a person who tells and brings back messages that are already around, by being given a divine gift I should say. A messnger is one who sees the Angel Gabriel ( although maybe prophets do too??)-except moses who spoke directly to God_ and recives a new message to give to people. There were/are less messnger than Prophets. Neither are infalibale when it comes to people or ligfe, in fact most ended up cursing their people for their unwillingness to listen, but they can be trusted without doubt when it comes to matters of religion.

Thats what I belive, what do you believe??
    Umm...Didn't I answer this question already? How 'bout we find a common ground on what we all agree what the characteristics of a prophets are?
    "The Lord works from the inside out. The world works from the outside in. The world would take people out of the slums. Christ takes the slums out of the people and then they take themselves out of the slums. Christ changes men, who then changes their environment. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature." ~ Ezra Taft Benson

Quote Originally Posted by Neo_Sephiroth View Post
    Maybe...Maybe not. Maybe I'm crazy...Maybe you're crazy...*Gasps*...Maybe we're both crazy?!

Maybe it's just all-good...Sweet.

Umm...Didn't I answer this question already? How 'bout we find a common ground on what we all agree what the characteristics of a prophets are?
    Ok... Gosh!

Good, let's begin... in Islam prphets do not make Mistakes, and most were known to be very beautiful, and are good in all ways possible, Muslims now see him as Idol.
    I Love and Hate reading, you know why? Cuz my nights became sleepless when I discovered that Somethings called "books" do exist!

Alrighty.

1. Any man claiming to be a prophet will boldly claim that God had spoken to him.

2. Any man so claiming would be a dignified man with a dignified message--no table jumping, no whisperings from the dead, no clairvoyance, but an intelligent statement of truth.

3. Any mam claiming to be a prophet of God would declare his message without any fear and without making any weak concessions to public opinion.

4. For if he were speaking for God he could not make concessions, although what he taught would be new and contrary to the accepted teachings of the day. A prophet bears witness of what he has seen and heard. His message and not himself is important.

5. He would speak in the name of the Lord, saying, "Thus said the Lord", as did Moses, Joshua, and others.

6. He would predict future events in the name of the Lord, and they would come to pass, as did those predicted by Isaiah and Ezekiel.

7. He would have not only an important message for his time but often a message for all future time, such as Daniel, Jeremiah, and others had.

8. He would have courage and faith enough to endure persecution and to give his life, if need be, for the cause he espoused, such as Peter, James, Paul, and others did.

9. Such a man would denouce wickedness fearlessly. He would generally be rejected or persecuted by the people of his time, but later generations and descendents of his persecutors would build monuments in his honor.

10. He would be able to do superhuman things--things that no man could do without God's help. The consequence or result of his message and work would be convincing evidence of his prophetic calling: "By their fruits ye shall know them" (Matthew 7:20)

11. His teaching would be in strict conformity with the scripture, and his words and his writings would become scripture. "For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they wore move by the Holy Ghost" (2 Peter 1:21)

Okay, now this is but an outline that you can add to and/or amplify.

So, what do y'all think? Are these appropriate characteristics for those who claim to be prophets? If there are anymore that anyone would like to add, do so. Or remove if they should find any one of these inappropriate as a characteristic of a prophet.

I suggest we do so, before we move on. Word up, yo!

*Can't help myself...Word.*
    Last edited by Neo_Sephiroth; 05-08-2007 at 04:55 PM.

Not sure if someone already mentioned, but I noticed that there were answers "no" to today prophets. Latter-Day Saints (mormons) believe there to be a prophet today, and he is the one that leads the church. Just as others mentioned, God guides, or speaks to the prophet to help lead others. Mouth piece was mentioned, and I pretty much agree with that.
    Kari

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo_Sephiroth View Post
    I was just rolling it on a bit like ask pbm game

Quote Originally Posted by shadowy girl View Post
    Ok... Gosh!

Good, let's begin... in Islam prphets do not make Mistakes, and most were known to be very beautiful, and are good in all ways possible, Muslims now see him as Idol.
    Actually, your slightly wrong there, well as far as I know anyway. In isla we belive that the prophets didnt make any mistakes about religion but they did make other mistakes normal human mistakes, like the thing about not pollinating the palm trees. and Idol is the wrong word I think.-Since Idols is also the term used for the statues that al-kuraysh worshipped. No an Ideal is better I think. As in the living example but one we will never quite be able to copy to that extent nor indeed should we.

|currently reading

Well, I said: do not make mistakes Cuz we ar waiting for a prophet to com back to earth,m Who is Jesus... but they did't in General (al-esma men al-khata)

About "Idol" I'm sure I ment something Else by that, and we both know, what I wanted to say that we try to be like Mohammed so to avoid doing mistakes, and to look up to him in the way he treated his children, or how he took action in some situation..etc. I've got a bad English!

But thank you for making things clear

Blog Entries
    I wasnt critising I was just adding explanation to what you said and thats all really.
    Last edited by Nightshade; 05-10-2007 at 09:41 AM.

|currently reading

Shadowy the right word is : they dont sin.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    I wasnt critising I was just adding explanation to what you said and thats all really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shield&Sword View Post
    Shadowy the right word is : they dont sin.
    Who said I took it as a critisising?! I was just a bit angry, that is all! smile you two, you corrected my mistakes, nothing is wrong with that

The answer depends on a definition of prophet. David Koresh said he was a prophet, Ron L. Hubbard said he was a prophet there are scores of other examples of people claiming to be a prophet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123