View Poll Results: Which Lawrence book would you like to read in June? (* = available on the Forum)

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sons and Lovers*

6 23.08%
  • The Rainbow

3 11.54%
  • Women in Love*

9 34.62%
  • Lady Chatterley's Lover*

8 30.77%
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: June / Lawrence Reading Poll

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar

June / Lawrence Reading Poll

In June we will be reading one of DH Lawrence's books:
    It is a fine thing to establish one's own religion in one's heart, not to be dependent on tradition and second-hand ideals. Life will seem to you, later, not a lesser, but a greater thing.
    Please vote for the book you would like to read by May 31st.

Sons and Lovers*

The Rainbow

Women in Love*

Lady Chatterley's Lover*

* = Available on the Forum

Book Club Regulations
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    Alright, Ive been waiting for this one!! I won't make up my mind yet.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I cast my vote - I have been waiting for a Lawrence novel to come up for 'book of the month' read also. I am thrilled!
    "It's so mysterious, the land of tears."

Chapter 7, The Little Prince ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Who wants to buy my vote??
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    I cast my vote - I have been waiting for a Lawrence novel to come up for 'book of the month' read also. I am thrilled!
    Janine this reminds me of our conversation a few days back. Very good timing indeed. You can imagine which book i voted for, eh? I wanted to join the bookclub before but i couldn't deviate from my list..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by manolia View Post
    Janine this reminds me of our conversation a few days back. Very good timing indeed. You can imagine which book i voted for, eh? I wanted to join the bookclub before but i couldn't deviate from my list..
    You following me, manolia? I was just in Movie thread, saw your post, but no time now to answer it. I have housework to do, ugh In between, I check computer way, way too much. I don't get anything done!!!

Yes, saw your vote now and am thrilled. Now you can stick to you list,....as for me....I am still all 'over the place', but at least it is a L book and I want to re-read it --- been years, like 1978 or 80.

Glad you voted, thanks! J

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've been waiting for this one also, I would ideally like to read Lady Chatterly's lover, it is another one I own. Hey papaya...come over here....

I'd actually be able to participate coming June.
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

You following me, manolia? I was just in Movie thread, saw your post, but no time now to answer it. I have housework to do, ugh In between, I check computer way, way too much. I don't get anything done!!!

Yes, saw your vote now and am thrilled. Now you can stick to you list,....as for me....I am still all 'over the place', but at least it is a L book and I want to re-read it --- been years, like 1978 or 80.

Glad you voted, thanks! J

I am behind you!! As for the movie thread it's fair to say that i haunt it.

Blog Entries
    Gosh,why do you people like reading the best books in the worst times ever?lol
    Now I really really wanna participate in this one, I just don't think I have the time to read anything till June 20th (that's when I finish my exams..lol)..
    But I'll try my best to catch up in the last 10 days of the month..
    Anyways, Women in Love would be my choice, since I already have it, and intended on reading it this summer!
    I'm the patron saint of the denial,
    With an angel face and a taste for suicidal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nossa View Post
    Gosh,why do you people like reading the best books in the worst times ever?lol
    Now I really really wanna participate in this one, I just don't think I have the time to read anything till June 20th (that's when I finish my exams..lol)..
    But I'll try my best to catch up in the last 10 days of the month..
    Anyways, Women in Love would be my choice, since I already have it, and intended on reading it this summer!
    Go for Nossa! Did you vote? I think you could join in late and anyway, it is a wonderful book. It is considered one of L's finest novels.

Grace - read "Lady Chatterly's Lover"! (even if it does not win out) It is a great book, too. It is not that long and not at all hard to read. All L's books flow and are so pleasurable to read. I read that one 3 times so far, and no doubt will again read it someday. Some steamy scenes, but the book is way more than that. I think one could read both in one month, and I am a slow reader. In the present 'book of the month' I am only on page 100 and liking "Owen Meany" very much, but will I get done - I hope, at least by the end of discussions....but at my rate not sure.
    Last edited by Janine; 05-01-2007 at 05:44 PM.

Pièce de Résistance Scheherazade's Avatar

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by papayahed View Post
    Who wants to buy my vote??
    ~
    "It is not that I am mad; it is only that my head is different from yours.”
    ~

Blog Entries
    Decisions, decisions...
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Sold to the Woman with the Margarita!
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

If grace is an ocean... grace86's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Grace - read "Lady Chatterly's Lover"! (even if it does not win out) It is a great book, too. It is not that long and not at all hard to read. All L's books flow and are so pleasurable to read. I read that one 3 times so far, and no doubt will again read it someday. Some steamy scenes, but the book is way more than that. I think one could read both in one month, and I am a slow reader. In the present 'book of the month' I am only on page 100 and liking "Owen Meany" very much, but will I get done - I hope, at least by the end of discussions....but at my rate not sure.
    Oh I plan to read Lady Chatterly's Lover even if it doesn't get picked. Just like I still plan to read Age of Innocence.

(I tried to read Ethan Frome, but have yet to finish it for book club , so I didn't participate with Owen Meany)

Sounds like you've really enjoyed Lady Chatterly's, your enthusiasm makes me want to read it more. I like how you said it is not a hard read.
    "So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest, I don't have time to maintain these regrets, when I think about, the way....He loves us..."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5xXowT4eJjY

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grace86 View Post
    Oh I plan to read Lady Chatterly's Lover even if it doesn't get picked. Just like I still plan to read Age of Innocence.

(I tried to read Ethan Frome, but have yet to finish it for book club , so I didn't participate with Owen Meany)

Sounds like you've really enjoyed Lady Chatterly's, your enthusiasm makes me want to read it more. I like how you said it is not a hard read.
    Hi Grace, you should read it if you want to. I liked it and I also like the BBC miniseries "Lady Chatterly" directed by Ken Russel, starring Sean Bean and Joely Richardson. However, always read books first, and then venture to see the film. Most people want to read it, because they have heard it is a sexy/sensual novel and it is that, but it is way more than that in depth and other issues such as class distinction, etc...social acceptance....post war themes. The husband is greatly effected by the war, but also his nature is very much that of a controller and a lord over his work empire. LC is expected to fit in as the 'Lady' of the estate. With wealth comes great emotional compromise and responsibility.
    As, far as loving LCL I like all Lawrence's works, but that is me and some may not like him at all. Keep in mind "Lady Chatterly's Lover" is really a much later work, one of the last novels Lawrence wrote, I believe. Therefore, his ideas were more advanced. I voted for "Women in Love" because this novel is an earlier one in L's career/life and I thought it comprised much of L's ideas/ideals and many charactersistics of the style of the writer, which would prove interesting to discuss. But actually any Lawrence book would be of interest to me, and would make for great conversation.

I also, want very to read "Age of Innocence". Seeing the film now, several times, may have marred my vision of that book, since I see certain actors in the roles. Hopefully the book will take on it's own character and I will love it. I own the book and it is sitting here, with my many others, begging to be read. Presently I am engaged in the reading of "Owen Meany". I may not finish that book before the discussion is over, either - the book is about 5 or 6hundred pages, ugh...and I am a very very slow reader. But so far I am enjoying it.

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast