Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

View Poll Results: Have you sufferred froma nerological disorder?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I freely admit it to even casual contacts and internet boards

2 5.26%
  • Yes, I rarely discuss it, but have on internet boards

3 7.89%
  • Yes, I discuss it only with close family and friends

4 10.53%
  • Yes, but only after I get to know people

2 5.26%
  • Yes, but I haven't told anyone yet

3 7.89%
  • No

24 63.16%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Neurological disorder - do more forum members suffer from it than the wider public?

Quote Originally Posted by Shalot View Post
    Aren't some so-called disorders a direct result of some external situation that someone finds himself/herself in?

I mean, you can be depressed because you're in a bad place. Literally. Or you've been in a bad place and it sticks with you, but that doesn't mean that there is something wrong with you! Would you expect someone in a country where there is a war going on to be happy???

(sorry --- )
    The difference is that everyone gets depressed from time to time. "Clinical" depression is due to a chemical imbalance in the brain and is a different thing altogether.
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

Blog Entries
    Quick note: for a behavior to qualify as disordered, it must be deviant, maladaptive and causing personal distress. Ocasional depression is not deviant, and is therefore not a psychological disorder. "Deviant" in this case, means "deviating from social norms" and carries no implication of immorality. Other "deviant" behaviors include (on my continent at least) vegetarianism, left-handedness and an interest in cricket.
    What is the use of a violent kind of delightfulness if there is no pleasure in not getting tired of it.
    - Gertrude Stein

A washerwoman with her basket; a rook; a red-hot poker; th purples and grey-greens of flowers: some common feeling which held the whole together.
    - Virginia Woolf

Blog Entries
    I looked through some of my journals from APA affiliates and the best definition of "disorder" I could come up with was this:

A mental illness or mental disorder refers to one of many mental health conditions characterized by distress, impaired cognitive functioning, atypical behavior and/or maladaptive behavior.
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    Douglas Adams

"Frivolity is a stern taskmaster."
    Zippy the Pinhead

~Posting images tutorial~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kathycf View Post
    I looked through some of my journals from APA affiliates and the best definition of "disorder" I could come up with was this:
    Yours sounds pretty close to mine (which I took from hazy memories of my intro-psych textbook). Like most things, though, it gets a bit muddy around the edges. Many of the people I've met who were diagnosed with attention defecit disorder, for example didn't report being particularly personally distreseed by it.
    What is the use of a violent kind of delightfulness if there is no pleasure in not getting tired of it.
    - Gertrude Stein

A washerwoman with her basket; a rook; a red-hot poker; th purples and grey-greens of flowers: some common feeling which held the whole together.
    - Virginia Woolf

Blog Entries
    Well...ok.

"Distress" is part of the criteria used in making a diagnosis. The DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders)is a diagnostic tool published by The American Psychiatric Association. . The term "distress" is featured in the DSM in determining how an individual is functioning in addition to other diagnostic criteria.

Your friends may not have been particularly distressed by their ADD, but that doesn't mean that the term "distress" becomes invalid in evaluating how a person is affected by mental illness in general.

Interestingly enough, many individuals with ADD suffer from low self esteem, isolation from peers and poor interaction with adults. Of course that is a generalized statement, and not meant to address every single person with ADD.
    Douglas Adams

Zippy the Pinhead

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cuppajoe_9 View Post
    Other "deviant" behaviors include (on my continent at least) vegetarianism, left-handedness and an interest in cricket.
    ROTFLMAO! Thanks for that. You made my morning. I laughed and now have a smile on my face.

Atheist,

I voted incorrectly based on your use of the term "neurological". Just an FYI..
    Madness is my defense against Reality.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Countess View Post
    Atheist,

As did I.
    Douglas Adams

Zippy the Pinhead

Blog Entries
    Your friends may not have been particularly distressed by their ADD, but that doesn't mean that the term "distress" becomes invalid in evaluating how a person is affected by mental illness in general.

Interestingly enough, many individuals with ADD suffer from low self esteem, isolation from peers and poor interaction with adults. Of course that is a generalized statement, and not meant to address every single person with ADD.
    Yes, I agree. I was implying that ADD is somewhat overdiagnosed, partly because the degree to which personal distress is a factor is slightly subjective.
    - Gertrude Stein

- Virginia Woolf

Professional Crastinator Hyacinth42's Avatar
    OMG, there is this one ADD ADHD kid who is extremely annoying. HE skipped up like two grades and still acted like an elementary school kid. Everyone hated him. I took pity on him (I remembered when I was in elementary school how it sucked when everyone hated you), and became his friend... Although the next year I rarely saw him, and I now avoid him....

So, yes, I totally believe that many ADD/ADHD kids have social issues... It's kinda sad really.

By the way, what is the difference between ADD and ADHD?
    Last edited by Scheherazade; 05-02-2007 at 06:53 PM. Reason: inflammatory

Blog Entries
    I have no idea, but my younger brother has ADD and some kind of learning disorder. The funny thing is that so did every other boy in his class. Most all of them were in the slow reading group and had to be separated from the rest of the class, (the girls).

My brother's ability to put words on paper, or rather form the actual letters with a pencil, is somewhat limited. But it appears to me that he doesn't even try to do it in the first place. I remember making him study for a first grade spelling test and I just stood above him and drilled him on it and made him do it again and again and he made an A. But he wasn't willing to put that much efffort into every test.

Maybe he does have ADD --- I don't know. I do know that he when he does find something that interests him, he will choose to do it at that time.
    "...if you weren't smart enough to get a pedophile in a dress to put a small amount of water on the child’s forehead, then what the eff did you think was going to happen?

Blog Entries
    ADHD is Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Note, the *hyperactivity* is the irritant factor. ADD is Attention Deficit Disorder (sans hyperactivity). These kids just can't concentrate, but they don't work your nerves like the others.
    I feel very sorry for ADHD kids. They have a hard life.
    Madness is my defense against Reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Countess View Post
    Atheist,

As did I.
    Sorry about that, both of you - as I said, that serves me right for being overly sensitive on the language front!

I've adjusted my results accordingly, but I can't change the poll.

Thanks.

Yes, I agree. I was implying that ADD is somewhat overdiagnosed, partly because the degree to which personal distress is a factor is slightly subjective.
    You could certainly say that. The American Academy of Pediatrics isn't even convinced it is a genuine disorder yet, and given the research findings to date, I'm inclined to lean that way myself.

Other "deviant" behaviors include (on my continent at least) vegetarianism, left-handedness and an interest in cricket.
    After the World Cup just finished, I can only hang my head in shame and nod at cricket being included in the list.
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

so what's the topic about? about people having some disorder (and i still dont understand of which kind) or about the relationship of that with forums?

i think this makes little sense. if you hear about that in forums it's because people feel safe in mentioning it to people far away, and because people with no particular form of depression etc (if that's what we are talking about) are too social to get involved in forums.
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Koa View Post
    because people with no particular form of depression etc (if that's what we are talking about) are too social to get involved in forums.
    Actually thats an intresting point Koa, one of my proffs is doing research into this ...But yes maybe and Im not talking disorder but those of us ( and its a definate us in my case) have troubkle connecting with people in RL, or are nervous around strangers or just generlly shy/quiet introvert kind of people find it easier when people are really people.

I have all sorts of disorders if anyones interested I could probably go on for hours , but non of them psychlogical ...well not that I know of.
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Actually thats an intresting point Koa, one of my proffs is doing research into this ...But yes maybe and Im not talking disorder but those of us ( and its a definate us in my case) have troubkle connecting with people in RL,
    Good point. I have mentioned elsewhere that I am not sociable at all with people in a face to face fashion. I also loathe talking to people on the phone. A forum lets me interact with people from a distance which feels particularly safe for me. I am free from constraints, really. I don't have to worry if somebody is looking at me and thinking "eww, she has broccoli stuck in her teeth" or some other type of thing. I know that is a silly example but still. I enjoy having contact with people, but I am extremely uncomfortable dealing with them face to face.

The other thing is the nature of the communication. If I don't feel like it, I turn my computer off. I am in control, which is not always the case when interacting with human beings face to face. I know people will still form opinions of me, and will dislike me online, but it isn't quite as hard as facing rejection from coworkers or the like.

It is really too much of a generalization to say depressed people wouldn't be involved with a forum. I know for sure that I am depressed, and I know some others here have discussed being depressed as well.
    Douglas Adams

Zippy the Pinhead

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast