Thread: Part II, Chapter VI-X questions

Part II, Chapter VI-X questions

Hello everyone Im posting this because I am complete and totally lost on this chapter of the book and I have a few questions for a personal assignment of mine that I was hoping someone here would shed a little light on:

What does Winston believe is the true way to defeat the Party?(I believe I have the answer to this one{The Proles})

What is more important for Winston: knowing that the Brotherhood exists or joining the Brotherhood?-Im finding it difficult to see any indication of which answer he favors.

What is the significance of O'Brien knowing the end of the St. Clement's nursery rhyme?-I believe I know this one as well, it involves foreshadowing of Winstons death(which Im going to assume doesnt happen) and that Obrien is indeed a member or the Ministery of Love.

any help on these questions is greatly appriciated!
    Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Verfall View Post
    Hello everyone Im posting this because I am complete and totally lost on this chapter of the book and I have a few questions for a personal assignment of mine that I was hoping someone here would shed a little light on:

What does Winston believe is the true way to defeat the Party?(I believe I have the answer to this one{The Proles})
    Winston harbours hopes that the answer lies with the proles, but he does realise that it isn't a serious possibility. He thinks the answer is in revolution from within.

What is more important for Winston: knowing that the Brotherhood exists or joining the Brotherhood?-Im finding it difficult to see any indication of which answer he favors.
    Definitely the existence. The fact [as W sees it at the time] os the Brotherhood's existence means that he isn't insane after all - he is no longer alone.

What is the significance of O'Brien knowing the end of the St. Clement's nursery rhyme?-I believe I know this one as well, it involves foreshadowing of Winstons death(which Im going to assume doesnt happen) and that Obrien is indeed a member or the Ministery of Love.
    You're on track, but I'm going to give anything away, so you'll have to keep reading it!
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

Thank's, that definately helped me get through them!

Quote Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post

You're on track, but I'm going to give anything away, so you'll have to keep reading it!
    I don't think so...

I think that those rhymes are strong prove of past. Why would song talk about church if there wasn't any St. Clement church? It's the way of Winston's definite prove to him self that he's not crazy. Maybe somebody thinks he's theory is crazy, but he know it isn't and that's the most important to him.
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM