Page 1 of 17 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Will feminist succeed dismantling patriarchy?

Banned

Will feminist succeed dismantling patriarchy?

When patriarchy is demolish, won't there still be patriarchy? That is women as masculine, and men as cowards?

Blog Entries
    How can a woman be masculine?!

Patriarchy has been around almost as long as humans, it's gonna last. The more we can hope is equality and with such close-minded views in our schools, it's not going to happen in ours or our children's generations.

Men are already cowards, as they have been for thousand of years (no offense to the few brave ones in the bunch).
    Shall these bones live?

Banned
    So feminist movements are in vain?

Blog Entries
    No. It's a worthwhile cause to fight for what you know it's right. Little things may change and help in the end to end this patriachal society but it's not going to happen NOW. wE'LL KEEP ON FOGHTING THOUGHT!
    Shall these bones live?

Banned
    If it is worthwhile, why don't you join the feminist movement? Unless you are not in the side of the right? :P

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dan020350 View Post
    When patriarchy is demolish, won't there still be patriarchy? That is women as masculine, and men as cowards?
    First off: that's a complete and total misuderstanding of the entire movement. Second, that would be a matriarchy.
    Last edited by cuppajoe_9; 04-26-2007 at 01:37 AM.
    What is the use of a violent kind of delightfulness if there is no pleasure in not getting tired of it.
    - Gertrude Stein

A washerwoman with her basket; a rook; a red-hot poker; th purples and grey-greens of flowers: some common feeling which held the whole together.
    - Virginia Woolf

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dan020350 View Post
    The word "coward" is defined thusly:
    Noun 1. coward - a person who shows fear or timidity

Related word cowardice: the trait of lacking courage

How will feminism make men cowards?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakiryu
    Men are already cowards, as they have been for thousand of years
    Cowardice cannot be determined by sex. It is fruitless to argue traits such as cowardice (or conversely courage) are based on whether a person happens to have their reproductive organs on the outside or the inside.

It really doesn't work to make sweeping generalizations, whether about men OR women.
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    Douglas Adams

"Frivolity is a stern taskmaster."
    Zippy the Pinhead

~Posting images tutorial~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kathycf View Post
    The word "coward" is defined thusly:
    Noun 1. coward - a person who shows fear or timidity

Related word cowardice: the trait of lacking courage

How will feminism make men cowards?
    We're terrified of women with rights
    What is the use of a violent kind of delightfulness if there is no pleasure in not getting tired of it.
    - Gertrude Stein

A washerwoman with her basket; a rook; a red-hot poker; th purples and grey-greens of flowers: some common feeling which held the whole together.
    - Virginia Woolf

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cuppajoe_9 View Post
    Well, sure. Womenfolks had better stick to mopping floors and birthing babies, then.
    Douglas Adams

Zippy the Pinhead

Blog Entries
    I knew when I saw the title of this thread there would be some passionate responses.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    First off: that's a complete and total misuderstanding of the entire movement. Second, that would be a matriarchy.
    I agree. It's not about who dominates, because if it's about women's domination, then it's a huge contradiction in the basic of the whole movement, when you don't want men to dominate, you can't create a movement that its aim is doing the same thing, just the only difference is the gender!
    I don't think we should regard the whole issue as in who's dominating, we should regard it by considering the equality and fairness in treatment, for bother genders, none should dominate the other, they should rather complete and cooperate with each other. I never believed that the problem should be narrowed to Men vs Women thing, it's not a war...and neither shold be afraid of the other's rights. But then again, this is easier said than done, of course.
    I'm the patron saint of the denial,
    With an angel face and a taste for suicidal.

Brave!

since the two words represent two things that are so variable in the day to day lives of most folks, I would say ....two eddies in the river.. neither will catch the other they will only play together for a while.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Bakiryu View Post
    Men are already cowards, as they have been for thousand of years.
    Oh that's nice. Men get crucified for making generalizations about women like this. What makes this comment acceptable?

Some maybe; others, no.

I think men are less afraid of women with rights than they are of women who decide that their equality negates masculinity and its own particular strengths. To examine entertainment/media attitudes, one would get the idea that women are the only intelligent beings on the planet and that their particular gifts are the only ones necessary for the survival of civilization (hence articles in years past from the APA essentially saying that men are unnecessary in the parenting process). Women who think that way - well yes, they are scary because they decide that men are nothing more than "oppressors" to whom women should never, ever give even an inch of compromise to because any compromise to a man at all is REPRESSION. We become ridiculed in TV sitcoms and adolescent T-shirts ("Boys are yucky - throw rocks at them") and any protest is shouted down by "you pigs have been in control long enough."

It's not rights we fear - it is the use of those rights to bash us over the head.
    "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." - C.S. Lewis

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nossa View Post
    I don't think we should regard the whole issue as in who's dominating, we should regard it by considering the equality and fairness in treatment, for bother genders, none should dominate the other, they should rather complete and cooperate with each other. I never believed that the problem should be narrowed to Men vs Women thing, it's not a war...and neither shold be afraid of the other's rights. But then again, this is easier said than done, of course.
    Very well said, Nossa. That has always been my understanding of feminism as well. To me, it is about equality, and by definition equality cannot mean "superior to". I am always puzzled by people who consider "feminist" to be some sort of expletive; a nasty label.

I probably shouldn't have made a silly joke earlier, I do understand that some people (not just men) are threatened by feminism.
    Douglas Adams

Zippy the Pinhead

Well,

Here is the challenge... Define feminism..
    then define patriarchy.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. - Mark Twain

Page 1 of 17 12345611 ... LastLast