Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: has anyone publish a book yet?

Banned

has anyone publish a book yet?

Tell me how long you spent on writing and how did the proces go.
    If not, can you tell me why not? Aniety, disturbances, and such?

For me, everytime when I think of planing to publish I feel unsafe, yet
    my emotions tells me who cares./

Blog Entries
    Getting a book published with a valid advance and decent royalties is a major challenge. In some cases it is actually much harder to get a book published than to write it. I've known many people who have written several books of proper length but have experienced so many publication rejections that they have finally given up. I'm not sure if anyone here has published a book, but I can assure you it is a very daunting process..
    My hide hides the heart inside

I did publish, a month ago (in portuguese, my mother tongue). Not very proud of what I wrote, which is weird. It took me a year to write it, but I'd spend months without writing a single line. I don't have the discipline it takes. The only reason I managed to get it published was that I sent my material to a very recent and obscure publishing house, which is not famous at all, and was (and still is) on the eye for potential talents, rather than established writers. I delivered my manuscript (by e-mail; in fact, I've never met the publishers face-to-face), they approved, I corrected it (which is the most crucial and painful part; you actually have to read it almost until you know all by heart), and that was that. I don't expect to gain any money with the deal (only 10% if it gets to the second edition), but everything coming my way will be appreciated.

I can only give two pieces of advice: first, make sure you do a careful and throughout revision of what you write before publishing, and second, and most important, make sure you actually think that what you intend to publish is good enough. Even though it gets published, you might get second thoughts - much like I did. If you do think what you have written is indeed good, don't hesitate, and don't ever give up

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kandaurov View Post
    don't ever give up
    It is interesting to see your experiences kandaurov but I particularly want to emphasize what I have quoted from you ^^. Obscure publishers are always quite easy to get (there are more than 90,000 of them) but congradulations to you Kanda on being accepted! I'm aiming for either Random House or Scholastic (although I can bet I will never be THAT recognized lol). Just know that if you can get accepted by some top publishers you have an almost guaranteed chance of becoming a very successful author (especially in a financial sense).

(Thanks, Adol! ) What you said is quite true, but remember that big-time publishers are most unlikely to risk losing money and prestige by publishing a completely unknown, sub-20 writer, talented as he/she may be; so all I'm saying is, don't get your hopes up.
    Don't get them up, but don't lose hope altogether. If you've got psychological endurance, I suggest you try all those intimidatingly large companies, because, you know, what do you have to lose anyway? And you just might strike lucky, or be that good as to get your first novel published by them!

Blog Entries
    There's always that slight chance, Kand . I agree with everything you've said. Good points.

Banned
    My teacher once told me there are publishers who made their living by publishing authors, which meaning they place those books in counters where
    it is unlikely to be seen and be bought.

Where is a good publisher? And should you have to pay any money?

Yeah, dan, that's Golden Rule #1 right there: NEVER pay to be published. If there is to be money involved in the trade, it should be you who gets it. Jane Austen did pay with her own money the publishing of some of her books (so I've heard), but you're only to do this if the publisher has a solid reputation though is in financial trouble.

Even so, don't fall for it. Poetry.com's and other heartless companies live off gullible kids. As for where is a good publisher, sorry, can't help you there; I am only familiar with portuguese ones...

Blog Entries
    Some of the most reputed publishers that i know are Random House, Harper Collins, Scholistic and Penguin. Many of these also have subsideries Like Orbit, orion, Cornet etc. depending on the genre. In Ireland we also have the O'Brien Press who i think publish the Artemis Fowl novels by Eoin Colfer.

Kand thats wonderful to hear you have been published.(even if you are having second thoughts) I hope you do really well and end up getting translated so i can read it! What is it About?
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Oh, thanks, Niamh! It gravitates around a character who is disillusioned with life, and confronts the demons of the past in order to try to end up with no unresolved issues. Quite simple and commonplace, really. It's callled "White Sheet"

Does Penguin publish contemporary authors? In Portugal I only see books up until Orwell's 1984...

Blog Entries
    Wow, Kandaurov, How intriguing it sounds! I'd love to read another The Idiot/CaP/BK book again and yours sounds like a pretty similar theme. Is there anywhere I can see an excerpt of your work? Ty

Banned
    I wonder does HarperCollins and Penguin take poetry works?

But anyways that is a good direction. I have heard they are righteous publishers.

Why yes, Adol, it is supposed to be among Dostoyevsky's 'stream of consciousness' lines, how very sharp of you! I'm yet to read the Idiot and the Brothers (scheduled for this summer), but I already know I'll love them.

If you want I'll translate a few excerpts when I have time (I'm on a tight schedule right now but it'll cool down in the following weeks). The request alone was very kind of you, Adol, thanks

Dan, Penguin does publish poetry, but more like Yeat's and Wordsworth's

no honey! a book is beyond my embitions right now! I'm 14 only!
    I Love and Hate reading, you know why? Cuz my nights became sleepless when I discovered that Somethings called "books" do exist!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kandaurov View Post
    Oh, thanks, Niamh! It gravitates around a character who is disillusioned with life, and confronts the demons of the past in order to try to end up with no unresolved issues. Quite simple and commonplace, really. It's callled "White Sheet"

Does Penguin publish contemporary authors? In Portugal I only see books up until Orwell's 1984...
    wow Kand that sounds really interesting! yes Penguin do publish a lot of modern novels. I made a booboo in my last post. Its Penguin who publish Artemis Fowl and many others.
    Quote Originally Posted by dan020350 View Post
    I wonder does HarperCollins and Penguin take poetry works?

But anyways that is a good direction. I have heard they are righteous publishers.
    I'm not sure whether they do or not but there is no harm in researching and finding out. Maybe try Harper collins and Random House as they have subsideries for each genre and might have one for poetry(ie. Orbit books for fantasy)
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast