Thread: The Wizard of Oz as Allegory

Got juxtaposition? Dante Wodehouse's Avatar

The Wizard of Oz as Allegory

I recently learned this, and it has inspired a new respect in me for L. Frank Baum. The Wizard of Oz is, possibly, an allegory for, among other people doing the same thing, the bankers screwing the farmers in 1900-1910. For any of you who want more information on the subject http://www.amphigory.com/oz.htm has a lot of information on it. Your thoughts would be interesting to me. I would also like to know if any of you have any other such books to recommend to me. Stuff like Gulliver's Travels, The Wizard of Oz, and The Phantom Tollbooth, except not them because I've read them.
    "I don't know whether your grasp of theology or meteorology is more appalling.
    I guess I'll go light some candles around the tobaggon and beg for mercy."
    ~Bill Watterson

"In certain times, trying times, desperate times, profanity offers a relief denied even to prayer."
    ~Mark Twain

"A melancholy-looking man, he had the appearance of someone who had searched for the leak in life's gas pipe with a lighted candle"
    ~P.G. Wodehouse

Between the pages of whatever I'm reading
    Dante,

Thank you for posting this link. I read the Oz books as a "tween" and enjoyed them purely for their entertainment value. Now, nearly 25 years later, I've been thinking about reading them again, and this new twist you've discovered will certainly add appeal now that I'm a politically minded adult. I have to admit, I never read The Wonderful Wizard of Oz because I figured I had seen the movie countless times, so I already knew the story and could just start reading book two. But, after reading your post, I realize that I never really knew the story at all. This time around, I think I'll start at the beginning!

Other great books like those you'd mentioned above: Mrs. Brisby and the Rats of N.I.M.H., A Wrinkle in Time, and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. In fact, if you google "Newbery Medal Winners" you'll find the official site and a list of fantastic books. Incidentally, A Wrinkle in Time didn't win the Newbery award, but it's still a great read.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by AutumnGal; 04-29-2007 at 06:11 PM.
    Life is not a static display. It took change to be where you are today--effect the change to be somewhere else tomorrow.
    ~MJ Ravenscroft