Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: ITV/UTV Austen Season

Well, yes, now I am quite curious to see this man as Wentworth. Should be interesting. They begin here in January then. At least I am guaranteed something to watch every Sunday night for the next 4 months!

They took liberties with "Persuasion"? In what way? No, don't tell me. I will discover it soon enough.

Did you mean to say "Pride and Prejudice" instead of "Sense and Sensibility"? I'd heard that they were all new adaptations except for "Emma" and "Pride and Prejudice" (which would be the Colin Firth one). I really was disappointed that they weren't ALL new versions of the stories. I didn't quite understand that when I first found that out.

So, do you guys like to watch "period pieces" during the holidays? That is what it seems like. Honestly, I enjoy watching them more during this time. Reading them, too, I guess.

By the way, I have been contemplating getting a multi-region DVD player. There are a lot of DVD's that I want but I can't get unless I get them from the UK. Maybe if I get the chance to spend the money in the near future I will do that. Right now I have one of those DVD/VHS combos. I kind of need a VCR, too, because I have an awful lot of VHS tapes. I wonder if there are any combos of the multi-region DVD and VCR. I should look into that.

Blog Entries
    They only readapted Persuasion, Northanger Abbey and Masfield park. The Emma they played was the Kate Becinsdale version and they didnt even show any version of Pride and Prejudice or Sense and Sensability.

Yes multi region DvD player sounds good.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Yeah, they are showing the Kate Beckinsale "Emma" (which I have seen already, but I suppose I will sit through again!).

They didn't show a new "Sense and Sensibilty" at all? Well, here is the link to the site for it here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/austen/index.html

Unfortuantely they aren't revealing too much on the individual programs yet, but there is a new "Sense and Sensibility" pictured there. Also, I believe the photo of the woman there is the one that is playing Jane Austen in that biography. They begin January 13th here. They start with "Persuasion". I am a little disappointed with that. Of course they don't know me personally to appease me, but I really wanted them to save the best for last! I really did think, since they were making such a big thing out of these programs, that they would at least show them in chronological order of when the books were published.

Blog Entries
    I checked out Amazon because i dont recognise that S&S. As it turns out there is a new BBC version being released next month, which is more than likely the version that is to be played in your season.
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    The new S&S I mentioned in the other thread ( lets talk about adaptations) is a new series to be shown on the BBc starting either Newyears eve or New years Day I forget.
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Blog Entries
    humm... i'll keep an eye out for that.
    *Edit*
    Its on new years day 9.10pm bbc one
    W.B.Yeats

God, why don't they have anything in Australia!

Blog Entries
    Dont you get the BBC in Australia?
    I mean I know they get it in the US, and they are not even in the Common wealth, and alot of our soaps are australian....
    Humm I cant find asny info however here you go you can now watch the best of the bbc online for a week after its first broadcast http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/.

NOt sure if theyve put an area restriction on it or not... they might have, I know the american sites dont allow us to view things here if they are planning on showing it on uk tv.

|currently reading

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Dont you get the BBC in Australia?
    I mean I know they get it in the US, and they are not even in the Common wealth, and alot of our soaps are australian....
    Humm I cant find asny info however here you go you can now watch the best of the bbc online for a week after its first broadcast http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/.

NOt sure if theyve put an area restriction on it or not... they might have, I know the american sites dont allow us to view things here if they are planning on showing it on uk tv.
    Thanks Nightshade, but unfortunately I can't view it. The website is restricted. In Australia we sometimes have shows from the bbc but the latest adaptations of Jane Austen's books are not available to us as yet (I hope it would soon). I am so tempted to purchase them on ebay but am afraid that my DVD player would not be able to play them.

Cactus

Blog Entries
    Watched the first part of Sense And Sensability this evening. I really Enjoyed it. And the acting is very good.
    W.B.Yeats

That is very good to know! I am really looking forward to these! I still have to get through the second part of "Jane Eyre" next week before they start the new season here.

I liked "Jane Eyre" the first time that I saw it, but now that I am watching the rerun of it, I can't believe the liberties that they took with it! It is still good, though. I know that it was said that liberties were taken with "Persuasion". Is it like that with the others, too?

They are showing "Persuasion" at the same time as the Golden Globe Awards! Why do TV stations put me through this???? I think I will skip the award show this year! They do nothing but frustrate me anyway!

Blog Entries
    The new adaptation of sense and sensablitily has been done by the same person that brought us teh wonderful Pride and Prejudice. (fuarrr! Colin Firth diving into the lake!)
    And i know what you mean. S&S was on at the same time as the Best of Top Gear!
    W.B.Yeats

Blog Entries
    I can belive I forgot to watch it.... stupid amazon order and birthdays distrcating me...

|currently reading

Blog Entries
    but you can watch it on the bbc website cause you are in england Nightie! I wanted to watch it today but it wouldnt let me bacuse i'm in ireland. Stupid bbc!!! Argh!
    W.B.Yeats

Blog Entries
    hgumm Id wandered if they were going to put an area fix on that.. Im sorry nims but got to say Im glad...
    Id be seriouslly miffed if I have to pay my tv liscence so I can see it and they can make it and then you got to watch it free

|currently reading

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast