Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Thoughts on Performing Hamlet

Your Thoughts on Performing Hamlet

Hamlet: My lord, you played once i’ th’ university, you say?
    Polonius: That I did, my lord, and was accounted a good actor.
    Hamlet: What did you enact?
    Polonius: I did enact Julius Caesar. I was killed i' th’
    Capital. Brutus killed me.
    Hamlet: It was a brute part of him to kill so capital a
    calf there. (3.2.100-108)

Obviously, Shakespeare's plays are interesting to read, but we often forget that they were written primarily for entertainment. If you have ever performed a scene from Hamlet, I would appreciate reading your comments about this experience. Here a few questions you may wish to consider in preparing your response.

1. What role did you play (Act, Scene, Character)?
    2. What understanding of the character and scene did you gain by performing that you could not have gotten simply by reading the play?
    3. What was the audience's reaction to your performance?
    4. If you have had the opportunity to watch a tape of your performance, what did you most enjoy about the experience? Was there anything you would have done differently if given another chance?
    “Writing is like prostitution. First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money.”
    Moliere

Gertrude, Act 5, Scene II, Lines 230-305

2. What understanding of the character and scene did you gain by performing that you could not have gotten simply by reading the play?

She is really oblivious to what goes on. it is really a surprise to me.

Well I suppose you could always tell me Mr. R

4. If you have had the opportunity to watch a tape of your performance, what did you most enjoy about the experience? Was there anything you would have done differently if given another chance?

I haven’t yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I would probably not worn those shoes. Super uncomfortable.
    And in the end
    it's not the years
    in your life that
    count. It's the life
    in your years.

Rina

Registered User Ashley Hallford's Avatar
    1) I played King Claudius, or the "Captain" in our pirate rendition of Hamlet. We reenacted Act 3, Scene 3.
    2) From having to perform as Claudius, I realized that I kind of had to read behind the lines, so to speak, to gain a better understanding of his selfish, conflicted, and highly pompous character. As you can see, I gathered a lot about the true character of Claudius by doing so.
    3) I believe that the audience reacted well to our performance- I guess we didn't do horribly, because no one "booed" or threw anything at us. In the end, I just hope the audience was entertained.
    4) I haven't seen the video, of course, but I think I did pretty well overall. (I was extremely happy that I didn't have to look at my cue cards.) The only thing I wish I would have done was to maybe have concealed my hair more to look more like a male.

Act V Scene 2 (Part 2)
    King Claudius
    I think by acting just this small part, I learned how twisted Claudius really was.
    I think they probably thought it was pretty cool, but humorous, since I was acting it
    out as Darth Vader.
    I haven't had the chance yet, but will reply to this when I can.

Yet Another Fun AP English Experience

Act III, Scene 3, Hamlet.

It made it clear that Hamlet was a very big thinker. His revenge plan was very well thought out. It also made me realize that Hamlet wasn't crazy and that he had a very good reason for the things he did. In addition, Hamlet can be a very serious person when he wants to be.

While not as funny or action-packed as the other performances, I believe our performance made the audience think about Hamlet's thoughtful behavior. It makes people understand that Hamlet was a big thinker and that he rarely did anything without thinking it through first.

4. a. If you have had the opportunity to watch a tape of your performance, what did you most enjoy about the experience?

The practice and the dressing up prior to the performance.

b. Was there anything you would have done differently if given another chance?

Practiced a lot more and made sure I had my lines down.

In the middle of nowhere surrounded by nothing of interest
    1. Guildenstern- Act III Scene iii Lines 1-101

2. I found Guildenstern to be a rather flat and obivious character. He not very intelligent that the other characters (claudius, gertrude, hamlet ect.), only put put with Guildenstern because they hope to use him to their own means. He is not well liked only tolerated, most because his loyalty is up for sale, and is auctioned off to the highest bidder (claudius). He has no morals and only cares for money. He is an expendable character, that at his death, no one morns.

3. The audience did not seem to get the jokes that we put into our performance, the subtle nuiances went unnoticed, but this seems to be the case in most performances.

4. As I have not had to opportunity to see an actually film of my performance, I do not believe I can fully answer this question.

I played Hamlet in the graveyard scene. It was a blast because we did it Star Wars style. It was definitely an experience. I don't quite know if the audience was pleased, but I hope we were up to expectations.
    I am Agarwaen, son of Umarth.

-Turambar

Act 3 Scene 1 - Polonius
    I didn't realize Polonius was as sneaky and conniving as he was and the fact that it appears he has no care for anyone other than himself and his ambitions.
    Due to Derrek's awesome gangster performance...hopefully the audience enjoyed it as much as it sounded like they did.
    I stand firm in my solidarity
    The path I walk, I walk it with my own resolve

Unerground, duhh. (Literally) (Im serious!)
    I was the doctor. Granted I only had two lines, but next time I get to be Hamlet himself
    I think it really helped t understand the text by rewriting the lines because we obviously had to know what the lines meant and understand their context before we could put the star wars twist on the lines.
    I think the audience enjoyed our performance, they laughed.
    4. If you have had the opportunity to watch a tape of your performance, what did you most enjoy about the experience? Was there anything you would have done differently if given another chance? I havent seen it yet, but I guess it was kinda hard to hear vader on account of the mask. blah. but that couldn't be helped. *shrugs*
    I thought I was the man with the master plan but as it turns out, tobogganing is much harder than training a dog with no ears, eyes, or legs.

1. Rosencrantz- Act III Scene iii LInes 1-101

2. Rosencrantz is really dense, and is no true friend.

3. I think that they all liked it and thought we were clever.

4. I would of studied my lines better and tried harder to memorize them, I think the best part was my facial expressions!
    *~Heather~*

1. King- Act III scene i lines 31-200

2. I found that the King was extremely important and influenced many of the actions that the other characters in the play made.

3. I think the audience found our play to be humorous.

4. I am unable to answer this question because I have not yet seen the video.

1.) Act 3, Scene 1, Ophelia.
    2.) Of course Ophelia was troubled by the way Hamlet had acted, but she did agree unwillingfully to decieve Hamlet.
    3.) I thought that they had a good time watching the play. They laughed a lot which told us we did a good job.
    4.) I have not had that opportunity yet, but I have seen pictures. I would have made my butt a little more rounded.
    I can resist everything except temptation....

In our interpretation of Hamlet, I played Laertes. While it was not as exciting as my role in Delta Force 2 or The President's Man, it was an interesting experience. Laertes was portrayed as a Sith Lord as our scene was Star Wars based. I feel that while Laertes is not evil in the play, this role fits his character well. He is out for revenge and has allowed hate to consume his soul. This all comes out in a fierce duel with hamlet over the grave. I think it turned out very well and I also believe that the other groups also did a great job.
    Last edited by Cordell Walker; 05-03-2007 at 10:03 AM.
    When you're in Texas look behind you.... Cause that's where the rangers gonna be.

Act III, Scene1, Hamlet.

When I did the rendition to Hamlet's "To be or not to be" soliloquy, I understood more of what was going through his head. He really had thoughts of suicide and what the advantages would be to kill himself. Then when he has the conversation with Ophelia, it really helped me see what his feelings really were towards her.

While we were performing I heard the audience laughing, which means that they hopefully enjoyed it. Afterwards, I had several people come up and say that they loved it. Plus me being gangster is quite humorous.

4. If you have had the opportunity to watch a tape of your performance, what did you most enjoy about the experience?

Due to me being absent on Friday, I haven't had the opportunity to see the performances. Although, I can say performing is a lot more fun than just reading. I liked dressing up and making different renditions of it.

Is there anything that I would have done differently?

I would attempt to learn my lines better. Add some more actions to it.
    Last edited by drlex; 04-23-2007 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Left something out
    The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Quote Originally Posted by Nirome View Post
    Hamlet: My lord, you played once i’ th’ university, you say?
    Polonius: That I did, my lord, and was accounted a good actor.
    Hamlet: What did you enact?
    Polonius: I did enact Julius Caesar. I was killed i' th’
    Capital. Brutus killed me.
    Hamlet: It was a brute part of him to kill so capital a
    calf there. (3.2.100-108)

Obviously, Shakespeare's plays are interesting to read, but we often forget that they were written primarily for entertainment. If you have ever performed a scene from Hamlet, I would appreciate reading your comments about this experience. Here a few questions you may wish to consider in preparing your response.

I played Horatio in Act V, Scene II. In the part of the play, Ophelia is being buried and Hamlet has just found out that she is dead. Just by reading Horatio's one line, it's hard to tell what is going on with his character. After acting it out, I had a much better feeling for what was going on. Being Hamlet's best friend, Horatio was there for him through this rough time. Horatio was worried about Hamlet and concerned about what might happen to him. Horatio has to take orders from the King, but doesn't really care for him. At the end of the scene, Claudius asks Horatio to look after Hamlet. He doesn't go just because he is told to, but because he genuinly cares about his friend.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast