Thread: Need some help?!?!?!?!

Need some help?!?!?!?!

We have a bunch of questions on 1984 that we have to answer to grade 12 english, and I am soooo stuck. It's frustrating me immensely. All have left in grade 12 is my english, and I am so stuck on this book. I'm frustrated, and just about ready to give up.

I don't suppose there's someone out there with some immense knowledge of 1984 who is willing to help me get through this? Some of the questions I can figure out on my own, some of them I just can't find in the book though!!!

Any help would be greatly appreaciated!

Part 1

1)Trace the history of INGSOC from 1950 to 1984. What are some of the major events that took place and at what time in history did they happen?

2)Explain doublethink(I've got this one downpat)

3)How does Newspeak help the party mainatain control? (I think I've got this one, but input would be appreciated!)

4)How does the party control elationships between men and women? How do they use this particular type of control to further their total control of society?(Input woud be appreciated on this as well)

5)Why is Winston's job in the Ministry if Truth important to the party?(Got this one covered!)

Part 2

1)What is the significance of the "Golden Country"? Why is it important to Winston?

2)What are the difference between Julia and Winston in their relationship and understanding of the "Party"?(Got this one pretty much figured out as well)

3)Why has the "party" gone to such a tremendous effort to ensnare and trap Winston?(this one's got me stumped!!!)

4) Why is it important for the "Party" to allow Winston to read the Goldstein Book?

5)Explain why the relationship between Julia and Winston is so rebelious to the party. By controlling relationships, what does the "Party" hope to achieve?

Part 3

1) In what way(According to O'Brien) is the domination desired by the "Party" different than the world domination desired by the Nazi's and the early communists(Pretty sure I got this one figured out too)

2) Why is there no hope that the "Proles" will ever revolt and overthrow the party?(Pretty sure I got this one too)

3) Why is it important to the "Party" for Winston to betray Julia? (I have my own theories on this, but would like to have some other input!)

4) What is the importance of the "Chestnut Tree Cafe?" (Uhhmm. . ???)

5) What will happen to Winston? (Do we know this???)

6) Is the 1984 society possible? Explain your answer.(Got this one covered)

I'm so sorry that I apprear to know NOTHING about this book. In all honestly, I don't really. I didn't particularily ejoy reading it at the beginning, and so it kind of just never caught my attention. I know I should probably read the book again, but between working 40 hours a week and dance and everything else I have to do, I don't know if/when I'll find the time. And, I have a final in 2 months. Which wouldn't be so bad, except the final is on ALL the english 12 stuff, not just 1984. And so I need to get rolling on the rest of it.

Usually, english is my subject, I'm just not quite getting this book I think. If anyone has a good analysis, or has done a paper on it kind of breaking it down, I'd LOVE to read it. I'd really like to be able to figure out this book, I'm just really struggling right now.

Any and all help is much appreciated in advance.
    Thanks!
    Lyanne

Always ready to help, especially when you've clearly done some of the work yourself.

Wiki actually has a very good 1984 analysis.

Check that out for starters.

Some of the other questions you ask:

Quote Originally Posted by lyanne View Post
    We have a bunch of questions on 1984 that we have to answer to grade 12 english, and I am soooo stuck. It's frustrating me immensely. All have left in grade 12 is my english, and I am so stuck on this book. I'm frustrated, and just about ready to give up.

I don't suppose there's someone out there with some immense knowledge of 1984 who is willing to help me get through this? Some of the questions I can figure out on my own, some of them I just can't find in the book though!!!

Any help would be greatly appreaciated!

Part 1

1)Trace the history of INGSOC from 1950 to 1984. What are some of the major events that took place and at what time in history did they happen?
    To be accurate, I'd need to refer to the book, so I'll leave that for you to skim through. I don;t think actual dates are given anywhere, so you'll need to work on the years given by Winston.

2)Explain doublethink(I've got this one downpat)

3)How does Newspeak help the party mainatain control? (I think I've got this one, but input would be appreciated!)
    If you're onto the language being modified to disable the possibility of revolution by removing the thought process, you have it.

4)How does the party control elationships between men and women? How do they use this particular type of control to further their total control of society?(Input woud be appreciated on this as well)
    Sex, lust and passion are all emotions which can be turned against The Party, or are outside of Party control. Replacing them with the Two Minute Hate and Hate Week is an essential control tool. The object is to have sex relagated to "our duty to The Party" and nothing else, all other strong emotion being only love of Big Brother and hate of the "enemy".

5)Why is Winston's job in the Ministry if Truth important to the party?(Got this one covered!)

Part 2

1)What is the significance of the "Golden Country"? Why is it important to Winston?
    It's just Winston's dream of Utopia, a place where he and Julia can be alone and free. It's the precise opposite, in Winston's eyes, of Airstrip One.

2)What are the difference between Julia and Winston in their relationship and understanding of the "Party"?(Got this one pretty much figured out as well)

3)Why has the "party" gone to such a tremendous effort to ensnare and trap Winston?(this one's got me stumped!!!)
    Because they must know everything about him. The easiest way to get to grips with this concept is to re-read O'Brien talking to Winston in Room 101. He spells out exactly why - there mustn't be a trace of unorthodoxy of which The Party is unaware. They may have been watching him for years; the telescreeen barking at Winston to try harder with his exercises could be a pointer to this.

4) Why is it important for the "Party" to allow Winston to read the Goldstein Book?
    More of the same, giving Winston & Julia more time and opportunity to reveal themselves.

5)Explain why the relationship between Julia and Winston is so rebelious to the party. By controlling relationships, what does the "Party" hope to achieve?
    Continuation of the sex and lust theme above - to allow people to have lust and desire for each other is to allow something beyond The Party's control. Can't happen.

Part 3

1) In what way(According to O'Brien) is the domination desired by the "Party" different than the world domination desired by the Nazi's and the early communists(Pretty sure I got this one figured out too)

2) Why is there no hope that the "Proles" will ever revolt and overthrow the party?(Pretty sure I got this one too)

3) Why is it important to the "Party" for Winston to betray Julia? (I have my own theories on this, but would like to have some other input!)
    The process of elimination of Winston's will is complete when he realises that the woman he'd sworn to die for, is far less important to him than being confronted by his worst fear in Room 101. He had felt that love was indestructible. It wasn't.

4) What is the importance of the "Chestnut Tree Cafe?" (Uhhmm. . ???)
    Oh dear, you have a teacher with a pet theory on the Chestnut Tree Cafe - my heart goes out to you.

I'm not at all convinced that there's any meaning to it at all. Various theories abound, with this type of thing the most popular. There is an obvious link to old English rhymes with Under the spreading chestnut tree, but then do we look for meanings in the rhymes of the church bells?

There's no consesnsus at all on the cafe, that I'm aware of, so pick you one and go for it. Personally, I don't believe it has any significance and I know of no record where Orwell expressed an opinion on it. Theoretical links to real cafes, are in my opinion, tenuous at best.

5) What will happen to Winston? (Do we know this???)
    Again, look to O'Brien. O'Brien tells Winston that he will never know when to expect his unperson status to be put into effect. Given that the book finishes with the final part of the process being completed, it could be anytime from a second later to Winston's own death-bed.

6) Is the 1984 society possible? Explain your answer.(Got this one covered)

I'm so sorry that I apprear to know NOTHING about this book. In all honestly, I don't really. I didn't particularily ejoy reading it at the beginning, and so it kind of just never caught my attention. I know I should probably read the book again, but between working 40 hours a week and dance and everything else I have to do, I don't know if/when I'll find the time. And, I have a final in 2 months. Which wouldn't be so bad, except the final is on ALL the english 12 stuff, not just 1984. And so I need to get rolling on the rest of it.

Usually, english is my subject, I'm just not quite getting this book I think. If anyone has a good analysis, or has done a paper on it kind of breaking it down, I'd LOVE to read it. I'd really like to be able to figure out this book, I'm just really struggling right now.

Any and all help is much appreciated in advance.
    Thanks!
    Lyanne
    Good luck!

Hope I've helped and I'm sure others will add to it. Let us know how your marks come out.

Cheers

Alan
    Last edited by The Atheist; 04-22-2007 at 03:20 AM. Reason: typo
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

Wow, great job, Atheist!
    All emotions and sex are forbidden, sex can only be used in purpose of creating new and faithful Party members.
    For Proles is different, nobody is interested about them, their only purpose is work in factories etc. for good of Party.
    Nothing will happen to Winston, he will continue with his miserable life, probably waiting hos death, alone and unhappy.
    I don't think that society could ever look like this, no matter of FBI, cameras in London and all those high-tech things that scares people.
    Last edited by bazarov; 04-21-2007 at 03:38 AM.
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM

hey, we're reading 1984 in my english class too. i think i can help you a little, maybe, if others haven't already.

What is the significance of the "Golden Country"? Why is it important to Winston?

the Golden Country isn't just a dream utopia for Winston; when he later goes to the country to meet with Julia, he notices that it is very much like the Golden Country from his dreams. that's something my teacher pointed out to us.

Why is it important to the "Party" for Winston to betray Julia?

for Winston to betray Julia would be to ultimately admit "defeat" and show that he is willing to go with the ideologies of the Party. since real love and any other emotion is forbidden, basically, this being taken away, or forced from Winston and Julia, is the ultimate control for the Party.

anyway, if you need, or want, any other help, i have a study guide with a lot more of this stuff on it, so let me know!