Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Torn between theism and atheism

Torn between theism and atheism

why should I be a beleiver ? Is there a god? I do not care whether there is god or ot. If there is one who created me, then he will take care of me. If he is reallly merciful he will he will guide me and save me from committing sins, and from going astray. If he is the one to have created everything and our minds he must be answerable for all we do. Good or bad.

The point whether there is god or not does not interest me at all. I am not a strong beleiver. I am not a temple goer. Chrisianity, No it does not appeal to me. Christ does. His sermons on the mounts are really something that can save us from falling. So is the Buddha.
    I do no find them divine. They loved not out of divinity but of humanity. They are great humans.

I like Marx also. Marx was a materialist and did not beleive in God and religion was something he dispelled. So what whether he was a beleiver or not? But he lived for humanity selflessly till his last breathe tirelessly and unremittingly.
    He lived for a cause that had to do with humanity. This humanist appealed to me immensely. Yet communism failed somewhere but not everywhere despite there incisive allegatios against communism by western medias. I do not always belleive in what the media say. At times medias become mouth peices of of despots.

I am not a theist nor an atheist. In fact we have diverse ideas. If we are really honest we are not the same at all times. Sometimes we have a tinge of beleif and at others we have different views. In fact we have different views on different things.

Sometimes when I read marx, Freud, Russel I become rationally and scientifically bent and athesim appeals to me and at others when I read the Buddha and Christ and Krishna I have a different feeling and I will be close to theism

Honesty is better than any other idelogy. I am like that and choose to share with you all that I feel.

I entirely agree, better to be honest about your feelings as opposed to pretending to believe in God, or believing out of fear of retribution in the afterlife if you don't. Most people will waiver one way or the other at one time, but I suppose in general you probably have a 'core' belief either theistic, or athiestic.

Got juxtaposition? Dante Wodehouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bii View Post
    I entirely agree, better to be honest about your feelings as opposed to pretending to believe in God, or believing out of fear of retribution in the afterlife if you don't.
    Honestly, why not believe out of fear of retribution? I would rather live in fear than suffer forever. Not that this is an entirely healthy way of thinking, but I think it is better than the alternative.
    "I don't know whether your grasp of theology or meteorology is more appalling.
    I guess I'll go light some candles around the tobaggon and beg for mercy."
    ~Bill Watterson

"In certain times, trying times, desperate times, profanity offers a relief denied even to prayer."
    ~Mark Twain

"A melancholy-looking man, he had the appearance of someone who had searched for the leak in life's gas pipe with a lighted candle"
    ~P.G. Wodehouse

Just another nerd RobinHood3000's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I recommend atheism if commitment to religious belief isn't your thing, but only if you can defend your lack of said beliefs semi-vigorously. Otherwise, you have nothing to stand against when your atheism is besieged (and it will be). Point is, you need to find the belief system, theistic or otherwise, that fits best for you, and contentions to back it up.
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dante
    I would rather live in fear than suffer forever. Not that this is an entirely healthy way of thinking, but I think it is better than the alternative.
    The alternative being a healthy way of thinking?

Here's one: maybe there's a God, and maybe there isn't. If there is a God who would eternally torture a moral person for not believing him, it's not going to be possible to please him anyway. If there is a God who is not in the habbit of condemning moral people to hell, there isn't a problem.

In slightly more practical terms: it doesn't matter what you belive in, so long as you're a moral person.
    What is the use of a violent kind of delightfulness if there is no pleasure in not getting tired of it.
    - Gertrude Stein

A washerwoman with her basket; a rook; a red-hot poker; th purples and grey-greens of flowers: some common feeling which held the whole together.
    - Virginia Woolf

Got juxtaposition? Dante Wodehouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cuppajoe_9 View Post
    The alternative being a healthy way of thinking?

Here's one: maybe there's a God, and maybe there isn't. If there is a God who would eternally torture a moral person for not believing him, it's not going to be possible to please him anyway. If there is a God who is not in the habbit of condemning moral people to hell, there isn't a problem.

In slightly more practical terms: it doesn't matter what you belive in, so long as you're a moral person.
    That would only be reasonable if you were perfect, which I doubt you are. If you are imperfect, then you need divine assistance. Divine assistance quite possibly has certain prerequisites including belief.
    "I don't know whether your grasp of theology or meteorology is more appalling.
    I guess I'll go light some candles around the tobaggon and beg for mercy."
    ~Bill Watterson

"In certain times, trying times, desperate times, profanity offers a relief denied even to prayer."
    ~Mark Twain

"A melancholy-looking man, he had the appearance of someone who had searched for the leak in life's gas pipe with a lighted candle"
    ~P.G. Wodehouse

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dante Wodehouse View Post
    That would only be reasonable if you were perfect, which I doubt you are. If you are imperfect, then you need divine assistance. Divine assistance quite possibly has certain prerequisites including belief.
    My way does not in any way require perfection. You just have to try to be moral, which is (in theory) what you would be doing anyway, were you a theist.
    What is the use of a violent kind of delightfulness if there is no pleasure in not getting tired of it.
    - Gertrude Stein

A washerwoman with her basket; a rook; a red-hot poker; th purples and grey-greens of flowers: some common feeling which held the whole together.
    - Virginia Woolf

Blog Entries
    How many people are imperfect drivers? And how many of them die in automobile accidents?
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

Professional Crastinator Hyacinth42's Avatar
    Oh, you don't have to choose either of them, it's called agnosticism Or at least, that's what I am...

I believe that there is a God somewhere out there, but do not necessarily suscribe to any main-stream religion. So, I have come to my own conclusions as to the nature of things like creation, damnation, and what to do with yourself...

So you don't get attacked for being an atheist, get the nice warm fuzzy feeling from knowing there is a higher entity, get out of hell for believing in God, and get to do it all seperately from and formal institution.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyacinth42 View Post
    Oh, you don't have to choose either of them, it's called agnosticism Or at least, that's what I am...

I believe that there is a God somewhere out there, but do not necessarily suscribe to any main-stream religion. So, I have come to my own conclusions as to the nature of things like creation, damnation, and what to do with yourself...

So you don't get attacked for being an atheist, get the nice warm fuzzy feeling from knowing there is a higher entity, get out of hell for believing in God, and get to do it all seperately from and formal institution.
    Strictly speaking, you don't sound very much like an agnostic. Agnostics are in doubt as to whether or not gods exist, you seem to believe in God, but doubt whether organized religion has a very good handle on him. Some people use the term 'spiritualist' to describe a person who believes in god independantly of organized religion.

The opinions of anybody ignorant enough to 'attack' one for atheism are not worth considering, in my opinion.
    Last edited by cuppajoe_9; 04-18-2007 at 09:45 PM.
    - Gertrude Stein

- Virginia Woolf

Blog Entries
    Oh, I dunno about that. They're marvelous for helping one affirm one's lack of faith.
    Por una cabeza
    Si ella me olvida
    Qué importa perderme
    Mil veces la vida
    Para qué vivir

I have studied Marx, and find him not to be a materialist or concerned about humanity, but rather a dominating and controlling individual who allowed thee of his five children to die, while he waged war on progress. Communism invites totalitarians to seize control, as evidence by Chavez, Mao, Kim Jong Il, Lenin and others who ascended to power under this banner.

There is a third alternative to religion (which I believe is your true argument), Deism.

All the best,
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by cuppajoe_9 View Post
    The opinions of anybody ignorant enough to 'attack' one for atheism are not worth considering, in my opinion.
    Agreed.
    I was just wondering what this business was about being attacked over, of all things, atheism. I've never been able to understand why - in my own case, anyway - people seem to really think something is wrong with you when you say you're a nonbeliever (this would be my rather euphemistic way of describing my 'spiritual beliefs', more an absence of belief in God than the belief in the absence of God, as I'm no philosopher). Quite honestly, mean things have been said to me simply because I say I have never been convinced of the existence of God, or anything spiritual at all. I don't bloody get it! How can people seem so sure? Doesn't the idea of faith imply that one is unsure?

The Word is Serendipitous Lote-Tree's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesian View Post
    How can people seem so sure?
    "Certainty" can be a psychological state and not necessarily based on objective facts.
    I sent my Soul through the Invisible,
    Some letter of that After-life to spell:
    And by and by my Soul return'd to me,
    And answer'd "I Myself am Heav'n and Hell :"

Blog: Rubaiyats of Lote-Tree and Poetry and Tales

Bonafide...Savage. Neo_Sephiroth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesian View Post
    Agreed.
    I was just wondering what this business was about being attacked over, of all things, atheism. I've never been able to understand why - in my own case, anyway - people seem to really think something is wrong with you when you say you're a nonbeliever (this would be my rather euphemistic way of describing my 'spiritual beliefs', more an absence of belief in God than the belief in the absence of God, as I'm no philosopher). Quite honestly, mean things have been said to me simply because I say I have never been convinced of the existence of God, or anything spiritual at all. I don't bloody get it! How can people seem so sure? Doesn't the idea of faith imply that one is unsure?
    Actually, "faith", I'm assuming, is not consider to be "unsure" to those who truly and strongly believes.

For those who have faith, it gives them more of an assurance than being unsure.
    "The Lord works from the inside out. The world works from the outside in. The world would take people out of the slums. Christ takes the slums out of the people and then they take themselves out of the slums. Christ changes men, who then changes their environment. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature." ~ Ezra Taft Benson

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast