Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does alcohol go bad if contained in a plastic bottle?

Does alcohol go bad if contained in a plastic bottle?

I poured alcohol (vodka) from a glass bottle to a plastic bottle, just for convenience, and I've let it be for about ten days. I'm not sure if I should drink it now or throw it away, because I don't know if plastic bottles are appropriate to contain alcohol. It tastes a lot more sour than I remember it..... also, there are some small green dots developing at certain point of the bottle. Yuck. Definitely makes me think twice.

So, does alcohol go bad if contained in a plastic bottle?

now then ;)
    Blog Entries
    Well I wouldnt have thought you would have a problem with bacterial growth, especially with regards to spirits (a good antiseptic in an emergency) I think your problem is more likely that the bottle you put the vodka into was not as clean as it should have been and the previous contents have reacted with the vodka.

There are certain beers sold here that come in plastic bottles (Steelback variants) and although I would not deign to drink that brand myself (more of a lucky lager guy ) I have not heard of any problems with them.
    There once was a scotsman named Drew
    Who put too much wine in his stew
    He felt a bit drunk
    And fell off his bunk
    And landed smack into his shoe
    ~(C) Ms Niamh Anne King

Quote Originally Posted by kilted exile View Post
    Well I wouldnt have thought you would have a problem with bacterial growth, especially with regards to spirits (a good antiseptic in an emergency) I think your problem is more likely that the bottle you put the vodka into was not as clean as it should have been and the previous contents have reacted with the vodka.

There are certain beers sold here that come in plastic bottles (Steelback variants) and although I would not deign to drink that brand myself (more of a lucky lager guy ) I have not heard of any problems with them.
    Agreed. Some Vodka's and other Spirits are packaged in plastic bottles, but I think it depends on the plastic and alcohol is considered a solvent.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Blog Entries
    What a stange thread. I thought this was a title for a poem.

Probably would make a great poem!
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Probably would make a great poem!
    I'll post one if you do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kilted exile View Post
    There are certain beers sold here that come in plastic bottles (Steelback variants) and although I would not deign to drink that brand myself (more of a lucky lager guy )
    Lucky lager? Bloody luxury! Why in my day, we drank Mountain Crest out of a cardboard box and we bloody well enjoyed it!
    What is the use of a violent kind of delightfulness if there is no pleasure in not getting tired of it.
    - Gertrude Stein

A washerwoman with her basket; a rook; a red-hot poker; th purples and grey-greens of flowers: some common feeling which held the whole together.
    - Virginia Woolf

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cuppajoe_9 View Post
    Lucky lager? Bloody luxury! Why in my day, we drank Mountain Crest out of a cardboard box and we bloody well enjoyed it!
    Bah! We could only dream of cardboard boxes...Why in my day we would have the scalding hot white lightning poured into our bare hands to slurp it up...and if we didn't smile afterwords, why I tell ya, they would abandon us to live on our own...banished and never spoken of again.
    Last edited by B-Mental; 04-16-2007 at 03:28 PM.
    "I am glad to learn my friend that you had not yet submitted yourself to any of the mouldy laws of Literature."
    -John Muir

"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends - It gives a lovely light"
    -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Kids, Kids, Kids, you haven't lived until you've drunk Sun Country Coolers from a two liter bottle.

(uhh anybody remember Sun country coolers?)

Blog Entries
    mmmm, or maybe champagne from a dirty shoe.
    "I am glad to learn my friend that you had not yet submitted yourself to any of the mouldy laws of Literature."
    -John Muir

"My candle burns at both ends; It will not last the night; But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends - It gives a lovely light"
    -Edna St. Vincent Millay

My friend kept some vodka in an Evian (water) bottle for a while, and I mean several weeks, and as far as I know it was fine. Your bottle definitely wasn't
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Koa View Post
    My friend kept some vodka in an Evian (water) bottle for a while, and I mean several weeks, and as far as I know it was fine. Your bottle definitely wasn't
    Now that you mention it, I knew a gentleman who also kept vodka in an Evian bottle, although that was for the purposes of drinking it in math class. I love Alberta. [/sarcasm]
    What is the use of a violent kind of delightfulness if there is no pleasure in not getting tired of it.
    - Gertrude Stein

A washerwoman with her basket; a rook; a red-hot poker; th purples and grey-greens of flowers: some common feeling which held the whole together.
    - Virginia Woolf

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by papayahed View Post
    I'll post one if you do.
    I'll give it a try.
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Alcohol in a plastic bottle is bad because it's in plastic bottle. It's seems like it would mess with the taste. But, yes, they do sell cheap gin and whiskey and some beer brands in plastics bottles and I think those are for the most desperate alcoholics who are afraid of dropping their bottle and breaking it. If it's plastic and they drop it, it won't break so they can keep drinking.
    "...if you weren't smart enough to get a pedophile in a dress to put a small amount of water on the child’s forehead, then what the eff did you think was going to happen?

"Many are unaware of poisoning caused by re-using plastic bottles.

Some of you may be in the habit of using and re-using your disposable mineral water bottles (eg. Evian, Aqua, Ice Mountain, Vita, etc), keeping them in your car or at work. Not a good idea. In a nutshell, the plastic (called polyethylene terephthalate or PET) used in these bottles contains a potentially carcinogenic element (something called diethylhydroxylamine or DEHA). The bottles are safe for one-time use only; if you must keep them longer, it should be or no more than a few days, a week max, and keep them away from heat as well.'

Don't know if it's just fals alarm or not .......

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    oops... I knew there was a reason I started throwing them out Id just forgooten about it oh well glass tastes better anyway.
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast