Thread: charles dickens

charles dickens

I've tried to read dickens before but I could not make it through oliver twist or david copperfield. I have just picked up hard times hopeing to at least read one of his books. worth it?

weer mijn koekjestrommel Schokokeks's Avatar
    I understand you were put off the 700 pages of David Copperfield. Though I did like that one after finally having completed it...
    My favourite Dickens so far has been A Christmas Carol and although that one might have been used by movies ad nauseam and does not really fit the season at the moment , I think the original is still worth reading. And - it's short .
    But I've never read Hard Times so far...
    "Where mind meets matter, both should woo!"
    Currently reading:
    * Paradise Lost by John Milton

Likewise i cannot offer a viewpoint of Hard Times because i haven't read it, except for one extract required for advanced english SATs.

However, my favourite Dickens' novel is A Tale of Two Cities. Short and immensely good. Bleak House is good too but at around 900 pages it can seem like an uphill struggle!
    "If you prick us, do we not bleed?"

Mr. Registered User

Instead

Try The Pickwick Papers or Martin Chuzzlewit. Dickens was a humorist first and foremost. The inconsistencies and unlikely developments necsessary to his melodramatic plotlines are much easier to accept in his comic stories.

I'll second the suggestion of The Pickwick Papers. I found it full of hilarity and it was a page-turner for me.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ForKnowledge View Post
    I've tried to read dickens before but I could not make it through oliver twist or david copperfield. I have just picked up hard times hopeing to at least read one of his books. worth it?
    I had the exact same experience years ago. I had heard Dickens this and Dickens that; so I picked up Oliver Twist. The first couple of chapters bored me almost to tears: I had to stop. Years later I decided to give Dickens another chance—perhaps my taste had matured, I thought. Again I picked up Oliver Twist and again I was bored almost to tears and had to stop. At that point I became harshly critical of Dickens: I derided him whenever I had the chance. But I softened, and, much later, I picked up Oliver Twist for a third time. I pressed on fearlessly through through the first couple of chapters and then found, to my delight, that it was starting to get interesting. I continued, and the interest crescendoed until I was on the edge of my seat and literally couldn't put the book down. To this day I am stunned at how good a book Oliver is. After that I tried more Dickens, and now David Copperfield is one of my all-time favorite books.

So I don't know. Dickens books aren't about aliens, elves, or machine guns. Dickens books are about people; and that's why they're timeless.
    Last edited by adagiosostenuto; 06-04-2007 at 08:41 PM.

now then ;)
    Blog Entries
    Dickens is wonderful & you should definitely pick up Hard Times. He is bitingly sarcastic and although many consider TOTC to be his best I have repeatedly said it is Hard Times (for these times)
    There once was a scotsman named Drew
    Who put too much wine in his stew
    He felt a bit drunk
    And fell off his bunk
    And landed smack into his shoe
    ~(C) Ms Niamh Anne King

In order to give you a good answer, I'm interested to know why you didn't make it through those books.

Blog Entries
    I would also recomend Hard Times, however this is coming from someone who devoured Oliver Twist and David Copperfield (as well as many others of his great novels).

Hard Times is probably one of my favourites (if I had to make a list right now, I'd put it 3rd: A Tale of Two Cities, Barnaby Rudge, Hard Times)
    I wrote a poem on a leaf and it blew away...

Quote Originally Posted by adagiosostenuto View Post
    So I don't know. Dickens books aren't about aliens, elves, or machine guns. Dickens books are about people; and that's why they're timeless.
    Well put! only those books about humanity can last forever.
    This is one of the things Hollywood forgets. There have been too many aliens, machines guns and disasters. Few movies have deep thoughts and meanings.
    Makes you want to go back a few hundred years ago when Dickens and Hugo lived.
    One has only one destiny,
    He can not choose it.