Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Controversial poet-colin leslie dean

Quote Originally Posted by pam69ur View Post
    you say without without redeeming artistic value and badly written
    so lets see yoour aesthetic first hand lets see the criteria you are basing this assessment on
    give us a few line from the complet styles showing us how they lack artistic value-u made the claim so back it up

is yoiur aesthetic classical moderniist post-modernist
    can you appreciate dadist or futurist poetry do you think poetry ended with petrarach or shakspeare do you think based upon clasical principles the romantic or modersist poets are amerturish because their diction is simple and prose like can u appreacite the colloquial poetry of kipling or is he amerturish
    lets se you easthetic principle you are judging dean upon
    Whoa whoa whoa. Everybody's entitled to like whatever art they like. One does not necessarily have to have an "aesthetic" to decide that they don't like a piece of literature. It's clear you like this Dean guy - fine; but you asked for opinions, got them, and now are trying to force people to defend their opinion. Here: why don't you defend your poet? Why don't you quote the "vivid images" "startling, melodious, hypnotic language" ? Rather than try to pin the critics and question the basis of their dismissal, rise to the challenge and give the evidence your poet provides that makes him worthy of the praise you give him. cuppajoe's correct in his assessment as to the tactics you're using, so answer his criticism with evidence from the poem. He already made clear the basis of his judgment by comparing and contrasting a comparable poet.
    "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." - C.S. Lewis

hey i said dean was controversial and your comments suport it one says his content is controversial another say not
    you contrast him him to wilmot who u say wrote with wit another says deans language is to naughty to print on this site yet wilmot uses some of the same language in his poems ie a "ramble in james park" u say that is ok cos wilmot wrote with wit -when is wit a licence to write naughty or do you prefere your filth to be a santistized by wit cant you face naughty in the flesh in her rawness nakeedness
    or is because wilmot is now an accepted poet that you can print his naughty words on this site

go read swifts poem about his mistress bedroom there u will see poo stained underware and dirty urinals -and that aint wit but satire

all you are doing is really polluting creativity by calling a persons work of no artistic value- art is art and criricism is subjective based upon an arbitary aesthethitic wilmot would have been considered fiith and i bad poety in victorian england
    wordworth was considered a bad poet by those brought up on pope and classical standards modernist poetry would have been consider rubbish by those brought up on wordsworth for it being to prose like dadist poetry would not have been considered as poetry at all

art canot be valued as good or bad and any one who does devalues art and condem themselves as philistines

thank you all for this demonstration of the controversy of dean and showing how art is polluted by arbitary aesthethics value judgments-take heart all you poets out there just write and forget what so called conissuers of literature have to say about your work for their expousing are just historical aberrations of their own arbitary aesthetic even shaksperar in his day had his critics and many erven say now a lot of his language in not understandable as he just coined it to meet the metre

Whaaaaaaaaaat?
    "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." - C.S. Lewis

art canot be valued as good or bad and any one who does devalues art and condem themselves as philistines

Blog Entries
    For a poem that speaks about breaking away from the aesthetic mold and creating something innovatively poetic – there is nothing innovative about this piece. Just some guy spouting his personal hatred for aesthetics in poetry. I disagree with everything he said. I think aesthetics is the voice, and touch, and feeling, and breath of the words. It can be what gives the idea expressed in the poem life. Otherwise the words become lifeless – just like his poem you quoted. You say his poem contains vivid imagery. I say it’s filled with vagueness. What the heck is an “evil flower?” I think the “hypnotic” quality of his piece is that it leaves you in a state of confusion when you finish reading it.

You say his poem contains vivid imagery. I say it’s filled with vagueness.

u cant even see the symbolisim and imagery-u miss the whole aesthetics

evil flower
    flower = open female genitals
    so evil flower is evil open flower-like female genitals
    confusion or hypnotised by the melodies -like being drunk on good wine
    Last edited by pam69ur; 04-10-2007 at 01:46 AM. Reason: add

I vote we all dumb it down a noch...whos with me?

Blog Entries
    You say his poem contains vivid imagery. I say it’s filled with vagueness.

u cant even see the symbolisim and imagery-u miss the whole aesthetics

evil flower
    flower = open female genitals
    so evil flower is evil open flower-like female genitals
    confusion or hypnotised by the melodies -like being drunk on good wine
    Oh! So he does believe in aesthetics

anti-poetry aesthetics did u not see the dissonances and abuse of language in some of the poems or were carried away with your own creativity along with the hypnotic melodies

Blog Entries
    anti-poetry aesthetics did u not see the dissonances and abuse of language in some of the poems or were carried away with your own creativity along with the hypnotic melodies
    What?

hey i said dean was controversial and your comments suport it one says his content is controversial another say not
    you contrast him him to wilmot who u say wrote with wit another says deans language is to naughty to print on this site yet wilmot uses some of the same language in his poems ie a "ramble in james park" u say that is ok cos wilmot wrote with wit -when is wit a licence to write naughty or do you prefere your filth to be a santistized by wit cant you face naughty in the flesh in her rawness nakeedness
    or is because wilmot is now an accepted poet that you can print his naughty words on this site

go read swifts poem about his mistress bedroom there u will see poo stained underware and dirty urinals -and that aint wit but satire

all you are doing is really polluting creativity by calling a persons work of no artistic value- art is art and criricism is subjective based upon an arbitary aesthethitic wilmot would have been considered fiith and i bad poety in victorian england
    wordworth was considered a bad poet by those brought up on pope and classical standards modernist poetry would have been consider rubbish by those brought up on wordsworth for it being to prose like dadist poetry would not have been considered as poetry at all

thank you all for this demonstration of the controversy of dean and showing how art is polluted by arbitary aesthethics value judgments-take heart all you poets out there just write and forget what so called conissuers of literature have to say about your work for their expousing are just historical aberrations of their own arbitary aesthetic even shaksperar in his day had his critics and many erven say now a lot of his language in not understandable as he just coined it to meet the metre

so um, mind speaking in english? with good spelling? and grammar?
    plus that dean guy just sucks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pam
    thank you all for this demonstration of the controversy of dean...
    Controversy? I see no controversy. It's pretty much unanimous: we all think he's awful.
    What is the use of a violent kind of delightfulness if there is no pleasure in not getting tired of it.
    - Gertrude Stein

A washerwoman with her basket; a rook; a red-hot poker; th purples and grey-greens of flowers: some common feeling which held the whole together.
    - Virginia Woolf

Blog Entries
    I googled Colin Leslie Dean just out of idle curiosity. Idle hands are the devil's workshop, or some such thing right?

I was curious what the big deal was regarding this person's work. I read partway through a dcoument that was supposed to be a presentation of Dean's "philosophy". I admit I am confused. What I read seemed more about "how to pick up girls" then any thing else....generously woven in with "erotic" poetry.

A MORAL PHILOSOPHY:
    A GUIDE BOOK FOR AR******Y; WHAT NIETZSCHE AND FOUCAULT DID NOT TELL US; A SURVIVAL MANUAL FOR THE HUMAN JUNGLE; PRACTICAL SOCIAL PSYCHOLOGY FOR THE PREDATOR: THE EXPLOITER; THE CON ARTIST; THE CAD; THE BASTARD....
    AN OPEN LETTER;
    BY PREDATORS TO VICTIMS.

TO PULL A BIRD IS A COMPLICATED PROBLEM. A CONSTELLATION OF FACTORS MUST BE CORRECT AND IN THEIR RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME FOR THE PREDATOR TO FEED. WHAT FOLLOWS IS AN ACCOUNT OF SOME OF THESE FACTORS
    Know your prey! Women are all predators. They are in search of prey to fulfil their needs and wants. If you want to prey on a predator then gratify these needs and wants.

Avoid those women predators who are gas bagging these two are probable out for a girls-night out and would be pissed off if they where intruded upon. So there she is the one who has been looking at you standing next to you. So now what? (Take note victims)

And be assured once you are in the good books with her friends if you break up with her you will probably score with them too. A fact of life is most friends in a group will have f**** each other overtime. This is because women predators tend to f*** within their groups than without. So if you can make fiends with your women predators’s girl-friends you are made. You have a harem. So don’t be despondent if she wants you as friend before she f**** you ,you will get to know her friends and you are set. (Take note victims)

There was more....alot more. I simply didn't feel like reading it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pam69ur
    art is art and criricism is subjective based upon an arbitary aesthethitic
    I suppose much of what people enjoy is subjective, and if you enjoy Dean's work, good for you. However, something to consider is extending that courtesy to others. Just as other people's opinions are subjective, so are yours--thus you should consider other people's opinions respectfully and understand that no amount of bullying is going to change anybody's mind.

The poetry that was posted is mostly gone...I saw it late last night when I was lurking here before going to bed. I must say, the fact that a poem has swearing and sexual content, does not make it "erotic". Erotica means to me ( I guess this is purely subjective on my part, I am not a big reader of erotica, I prefer classics and mysteries)..ok, erotica means to me an artistic expression of sexuality, and should be earthy, yes, but also sensual. D.H. Lawrence wrote in such a way, Dean does not. The two poems that I saw were simply badly written with overabundant references to bodily secretions and genitalia.
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    Douglas Adams

"Frivolity is a stern taskmaster."
    Zippy the Pinhead

~Posting images tutorial~

I find these comments about deans poem interesting- it seems dean sure is a controversial poet. I find many of his poems full of vivid imagery like some classical Chinese poems. Interestingly I have seen dean referred to as Australia's leading erotic poet
    Last edited by anne242; 12-12-2018 at 02:50 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12