Buying through this banner helps support the forum!
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the Forum

Blog Entries

Cool A Funny Thing Happened on the way to the Forum

Something odd or bizarre happen today? Maybe someone said something funny to you that you'd like to share? Did something amusing happen in work perhaps? Maybe you hit your head getting out of bed? Or saw someone stand up on a bus only to discover they'd sat on gum?

Why not share the odd, funny and down right unusual happenings of you morning, night, or day before logging on right here and share the amusementwith everyone!
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Blog Entries
    Well, I don't know how relevant this is to the topic, but...I was on earlier, and logged off to do a few things. Just before I came on this afternoon, a friend called to wish my a Happy Easter.

So, Easter came earlyish this year, eh? I had no idea it was today.... I should get out of the old hermit cave a bit more.
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    Douglas Adams

"Frivolity is a stern taskmaster."
    Zippy the Pinhead

~Posting images tutorial~

Now that would be telling it, wouldnt it?
    Blog Entries
    Well last tuesday a couple of women from the parish ( catholic) stopped me in the street and actually this might work better as a scene.

scene, street corner in manchester, by my house the lights take about 5 minutes to change and waiting ther is a pain but crossing there without the lights would be an infinatly greater terminal type of pain.

I coming rushing ( dressed in a long denium skirt a white top a red jacket and my black headscarf thing youll see the importance in a bit) up need to catch the 10 minute bus and am in a hurry-ish to get to uni and collect my grades,

2 women about 60 on the corne with a bunch of flyers
    Me: ( thinking) Oh lost people smile on face open mouth to say can I help you
    woman1: (In a lovley accent) Hello we are from the Parish of st joseph o you know st Josephs
    Me: U..
    woman2: Our priest Father Ryan wasnt to let everyone know they are welcome any time t come to mass its a catholic church

Me :nod and smile

woman1: Do you know the catholic church?
    Me: Only the big one on Oxford road
    Woman 2: well your welcome anytime to our church and its holy week ,do you know its holy week?

Me: Yes I do actually

woman2: Ahh your catholic!
    me paniccing touching my head I didnt come out without my scarf on did I No its still there strage women
    Me: Nooo, Im a muslem
    woman1: Oh well then wed like to give you this anyway --hands me a flyer and a necklcae medal thing --
    Woman2: Its a mircalous medal and its called that becasue of the mircals that became associated with it and its blessed by the priest.

me: Do i take this or not? Errem well hurting someones feelings is worse than accepting it soo Thankyou

Women: God bless you
    me : as I run to catch the bus yes you too thankyou

__________________________________________________ _______________
    Now in all that what I dont understand is how they mistook me for a nun, because I guess it must be a nun as there is a monstary down by where I live and you see them often enough But Ive never seen a nun in red.
    My mission in life is to make YOU smile
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,"To talk of many things:

Forum Rules- You know you want to read 'em

|Litnet Challange status = 5/260
    |currently reading

Blog Entries
    Great story, Night!!
    LET THERE BE LIGHT

"Love follows knowledge." – St. Catherine of Siena

My literature blog: http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post

me paniccing touching my head I didnt come out without my scarf on did I No its still there strage women
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    Now in all that what I dont understand is how they mistook me for a nun, because I guess it must be a nun as there is a monstary down by where I live and you see them often enough But Ive never seen a nun in red.
    Sorry about that! Old Catholic women can be very strange! (for some reason i imagined both of them woth thick irish accents!) Dont know how they didnt notice your scarf, but then again my experience of old women in my parish sounds fairly similar to that! but usually they say ' now arent you a good girl for taking that from an nice old woman like me.'

I also dont think i've ever seen a nun in red!
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
    Sorry about that! Old Catholic women can be very strange! (for some reason i imagined both of them woth thick irish accents!) Dont know how they didnt notice your scarf, but then again my experience of old women in my parish sounds fairly similar to that! but usually they say ' now arent you a good girl for taking that from an nice old woman like me.'

I also dont think i've ever seen a nun in red!
    Oh well it was definatly Irish she said Catolic thats irish isnt it? but I only know as part of my family is Catholic and irish catholic at that... Id like to vivt a church someday but not in holy week, how intrusive and rude would that be.
    And I dont mind my gran got the medal and I think she was absolutly chuffed that they thought I was a nun. But Ive had some nice old ladies like that 'oh Idont know what we do if you didnt bother with us' when we deliver their books you know
    I like little old ladies generally well until they start going on about do you have a boyfriend yet?

|currently reading

as i drove into my street last night there were 3 fire engines on the corner, sad to say that the kinder had caught on fire. It has to be the unluckiest kindergarten, last year it rained heavily and a great build up of water ran through it and washed the playground down our street.
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."
    --Anais Nin

Blog Entries
    Oh well it was definatly Irish she said Catolic thats irish isnt it? but I only know as part of my family is Catholic and irish catholic at that... Id like to vivt a church someday but not in holy week, how intrusive and rude would that be.
    And I dont mind my gran got the medal and I think she was absolutly chuffed that they thought I was a nun. But Ive had some nice old ladies like that 'oh Idont know what we do if you didnt bother with us' when we deliver their books you know
    I like little old ladies generally well until they start going on about do you have a boyfriend yet?
    Oh you mean she pronounced Catholic Wrong? yes then she probably was Irish! We dont really pronounce our TH's properly!
    Better off visiting a nice old church when is nice and quiet. But then again... the priest my approach you and start telling you ' Now Jesus, he was a nice young lad. loved both of his perants'.
    W.B.Yeats

When I was in grade school (Catholic School) in order to prepare for the sacrament of Confirmation we had to do community service, well not really community service just helping others. There was a convent (Nun's house) attached to the school. For part of our service a bunch of us decided to help the Nun's with their spring cleaning. Not only did we saw the Nun's in regular cloths!!!!! upon opening their fridge we saw beer and wine!!!! The Nun's drank alcohol!!!!! Holy Toledo. We were amazed.
    Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Blog Entries
    Well I am kind of flattered to be mistaken for someone who has that much belief is nice I think
    Quote Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
    Oh you mean she pronounced Catholic Wrong? yes then she probably was Irish! We dont really pronounce our TH's properly!
    Better off visiting a nice old church when is nice and quiet. But then again... the priest my approach you and start telling you ' Now Jesus, he was a nice young lad. loved both of his perants'.
    Hehe Id probaly try to trump him knowing me and start spouting verses. But actually it would be intresting so many things Id like to ask but am always afraid of offending someon I think next year I when they set up the ask the rabbi stall I might actually screw up the corage to go and ask him a few quetsions
    Quote Originally Posted by papayahed View Post
    When I was in grade school (Catholic School) in order to prepare for the sacrament of Confirmation we had to do community service, well not really community service just helping others. There was a convent (Nun's house) attached to the school. For part of our service a bunch of us decided to help the Nun's with their spring cleaning. Not only did we saw the Nun's in regular cloths!!!!! upon opening their fridge we saw beer and wine!!!! The Nun's drank alcohol!!!!! Holy Toledo. We were amazed.
    well I guess that could have been it

|currently reading

Me: Nooo, Im a muslem
    Great description of the scene Nighty, I don't think they mistook you for a nun, I think they just forgot about the existence of Muslims by being really into their thing eheh lol.

As for visiting church, have you been inside Manchester cathedral? It's cool - though it's not Catholic I believe, it must be protestant... We can go there one day :P Or the one in Oxford Road (the one by my campus?), I'm sure it's Catholic but I've never been inside, I don't want to be mistaken for a believer lol (kidding but well, not too much I fear)

P.S. By the way the Rabbi stall was there again not long ago, for the students elections I think... he looked rather bored. For basic questions well, I've been raised a Catholic so I still have basic knowledge, after all I harrass you enough you can harrass me back
    dead on the inside, i've got nothing to prove
    keep me alive and give me something to lose

Blog Entries
    That is a funny story, Night. I don't think they mistook you for a nun either, because why would they start trying to give you stuff about the church and asking if you knew it? I think they just might not have grasped the significance of your head scarf.

As my ex-mother in law would have said... "Sacred Heart, all these young grrrls running around with scarves!. Did ye ever see the like?!"

Oh, um yea. I have noticed the accents thingy with former inlaws.
    Douglas Adams

Zippy the Pinhead

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Koa View Post
    As for visiting church, have you been inside Manchester cathedral? It's cool - though it's not Catholic I believe, it must be protestant... We can go there one day :P Or the one in Oxford Road (the one by my campus?), I'm sure it's Catholic but I've never been inside, I don't want to be mistaken for a believer lol (kidding but well, not too much I fear)

P.S. By the way the Rabbi stall was there again not long ago, for the students elections I think... he looked rather bored. For basic questions well, I've been raised a Catholic so I still have basic knowledge, after all I harrass you enough you can harrass me back
    Im pretty sure manchgester cathedrial is CofE but thats thing I have a ridiclous fear of offending anyone that Im a bit afraid to go exploring though Id really loe to see the inside of a church
    Quote Originally Posted by kathycf View Post
    That is a funny story, Night. I don't think they mistook you for a nun either, because why would they start trying to give you stuff about the church and asking if you knew it? I think they just might not have grasped the significance of your head scarf.

As my ex-mother in law would have said... "Sacred Heart, all these young grrrls running around with scarves!. Did ye ever see the like?!"

Oh, um yea. I have noticed the accents thingy with former inlaws.
    hummm ah more info for he kathy puzzle you had irish inlaws!

|currently reading

Blog Entries
    Im pretty sure manchgester cathedrial is CofE but thats thing I have a ridiclous fear of offending anyone that Im a bit afraid to go exploring though Id really loe to see the inside of a church

hummm ah more info for he kathy puzzle you had irish inlaws!
    Heh, yes I did,and my ex mother in law really did say "Sacred Heart" as an exclamation.

I think it is ok to go inside and see the church. I doubt you are going to go in there and make a ruckus, just looking around when the church is quiet isn't going to hurt anything.
    Douglas Adams

Zippy the Pinhead

in angulo cum libro Petrarch's Love's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade
    That's a funny story, Night. Actually, I've started to wonder if there are more nuns running around in red than we think. I had a similar experience this last summer. My mom and I were on a road trip from California to Chicago and, while driving through miles of prairie in Kansas, we suddenly came upon a huge old stone church standing out in the middle of nowhere. Really, nowhere. Nothing but flat grass and fields stretching as far as the eye could see and this huge stone church standing up tall with a big cemetary attached to it.

Naturally we were curious, so we stopped off and found that the church was attached to a little one street town. We got out of the car, both wearing our denim shorts (and mine were pretty short shorts) and me in a fairly petite bright red tank top. It so happened that we ran into the ninety-one year old man who had helped lay the cornerstone for the church, which turned out to be a Catholic church. He offered to let us in so we could see the inside, so we went in and he told us about how they'd brought in the stones and the stained glass, and how sad he was because the parish was shrinking with all the young people going off to the big city, and Mum and I sat and said a short prayer.

Now, all this time I was feeling incredibly self conscious being in church wearing my summer shorts and little red tank top, until the old man turns to us and says "I guess you two ladies must be nuns?" He even seemed surprised when we said we weren't. What's more he had three daughters who really were nuns, so you'd think he would know what one looked like. Of course we were polite to him, but once we got in the car we were laughing for miles.

"In rime sparse il suono/ di quei sospiri ond' io nudriva 'l core/ in sul mio primo giovenile errore"~ Francesco Petrarca
    "Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."~ Jane Austen

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast