Buying through this banner helps support the forum!

Thread: Moral Dilemma

Moral Dilemma

In Canada, a major chain of coffee shops (didn't know if I should/could say the name) has their annual roll up the rim to win for prizes. If someone bought you a coffee and you discovered a prize of substantial value under that rim, like a new truck, what would you do? or If you bought the coffee and that person won, what would you do? This applies to any gift with the possibility of winning a prize.

BTW, I haven't encountered this situation, just thought it would be fun to discuss.

Reminds me of a movie with Nicolas Cage... with a million dollar check... or was there more money? Not sure now about the name of it, but translated back from Czech it was "It can happen to you too". A cop promised a waitress half of his prize if the check wins, it did, and he did give her the promised half. I think there's not many people who would be true to their word, or in your case, at least didn't try to agrue over the rights on the winning.
    I have a plan: attack!

Originally posted by Jay
    Reminds me of a movie with Nicolas Cage... with a million dollar check... or was there more money? Not sure now about the name of it, but translated back from Czech it was "It can happen to you too". A cop promised a waitress half of his prize if the check wins, it did, and he did give her the promised half. I think there's not many people who would be true to their word, or in your case, at least didn't try to agrue over the rights on the winning.
    It was a lottery ticket, not quite the same thing as a check. But you remember it correctly.
    Chris Beasley
    Administrator
    The Literature Network

Sorry, well, think I should discuss not-sure-of words with dictationary . Thanks for correcting me .
    I have a plan: attack!

15 miles or so north of the city of london
    In the latter case, I wouldn't expect that person to offer me anything of their prize. For me, I would feel like I should share. But I would know that, if it was not agreed beforehand, there would be no real moral contract. Consequently, I would feel guilty about not sharing, would criticise myself internally for feeling that way, believe my criticisms to be sound, but share to make me feel better.
    Faith is believing what you know ain't so - Mark Twain

The preachers deal with men of straw, as they are men of straw themselves - Henry David Thoreau

The way to see faith is to shut the eye of reason - Benjamin Franklin

The teaching of the church, theoretically astute, is a lie in practice and a compound of vulgar superstitions and sorcery - Leo Tolstoy

Blog Entries
    I think if it is a gift, their should be no guilt, I mean you gave the winning cup to the person so they would be doubly gratefull, I feel that their is a type of karma, if you are angry or jealouse because they one with the cup that you bought for them, something like that will happen to you and only after you have lost a friend will you realize your mistake. Friendship is more important than material wealth.

---------------
    Stanislaw Lem
    1921 - 2006, Rest In Peace.
    "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible"

Ever Benevolent and Wise
    Even though I can't stand Tim Horton's, they're great for when you're on the road and their drive-thru is open at 3am

so ......... yeah, I've bought others coffees and they've won things, a free coffee, cookie etc. and one guy won a bbq. (No I don't want a barbecue!) So, knowing this contest was on at the time, it was understood with my friends that they win and they keep it, though as atig pointed out there is amount of guilt involved if it's you who have won something. But how do you share a crappy two-bite cookie?

If it was money it would be different, and easier to dole out some to my friend if they had bought me the winning ticket...

see lara, i knew you would think of something cool.

my answer... sell the truck, split the profits.

by the way, somebody told me at work today, that their was a super power ball winner in the states(big lottory), that gave up his winnings. is this true?

sorry, did not mean to get off topic.
    life is simply complicated

I guess I should tell you guys what I would do.

If I won a substantial prize on a coffee someone bought me, my conscience would eat at me if I didn't share. I had two coworkers recently pick me up a coffee I had not asked for. I gratefully accepted, but teasingly said, "what if there is a truck under that rim"? They both replied, "lucky you". I mean, these are not even people I call friends. I agree with psyco, I would sell the truck and split the money. That would be a nice chunk of cash for both. If someone else won that I bought a coffee for, I think I would cry.

That's one of those things that I would have to say I don't know what I'd do until I'm in that situation. Nobody really buys me coffee except my husband anyway, and we share everything.
    Hwæt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/Þeodcuninga þrum gefrunon,/hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,/ monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syððan ærest wearð/ feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,/ oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs god cyning!

dancing before the storms baddad's Avatar
    lat.51.7,long.114.13,1140m above sea level

moral coffee cups

If a stranger bought me a coffee/lottery ticket I'd feel no IMMEDIATE need to share any winnings that may come my way. If I pondered the situation for awhile I'd no doubt conjure up some moral need within myself to share my good fortune with the gift giver.
    A gift from a friend does not of course come with strings attached. But having a friend, and being just that, would in myself graven me to the core if I didn't share. Life is short, make it good!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Personally I'd feel obliged to share the prize, esp if that person is someone I know. It's more like sharing ur fortune, and I don't really see moral dilemma in this matter.

fated loafer
    I just discovered the existence of Tim Horton's and go there to study on late nights. Based on the reactions of my friends and the rapt expressions on their faces everytime they roll up a rim, I would have to sell the car and split the cash, or chance being attacked by frazzled studiers paying for coffee with change. Share and share alike.

If i it represents my fortune,i like to share it with my friends!but i have no this fortune.i had never win one time.