Thread: What is Hate Week all about?

What is Hate Week all about?

From the two minutes of hate to the annual Hate week event in Orwell's 1984, what is their historical connection? I don't believe the Third Reich or the stalinist government did either of them...was it just another ingenuous invention by orwell for people to channel their anger at a common enemy and not the government or has closer ties to stalin and hitler than i believe it does.
    I know North korea does something relatively similiar to the two minutes of hate on their television channels and does the morning exercises that Winston smith does but the North Korean government didnt even come into being until the Korean War which was over a decade after the first book of 1984 came out.
    Can some one help me and explain what the purpose of the Two minutes of Hate is and the historical ties to a certain event or person?

thanks!! answer back

Quote Originally Posted by kpkriminal View Post
    From the two minutes of hate to the annual Hate week event in Orwell's 1984, what is their historical connection? I don't believe the Third Reich or the stalinist government did either of them...was it just another ingenuous invention by orwell for people to channel their anger at a common enemy and not the government or has closer ties to stalin and hitler than i believe it does.
    I know North korea does something relatively similiar to the two minutes of hate on their television channels and does the morning exercises that Winston smith does but the North Korean government didnt even come into being until the Korean War which was over a decade after the first book of 1984 came out.
    Can some one help me and explain what the purpose of the Two minutes of Hate is and the historical ties to a certain event or person?

thanks!! answer back

The purpose is indeed to create an outlet for emotion, as no other form was allowed. Love, hate, sexual frustration, you name it, you can work it off in the Two Minute Hate. Stalin's and Hitler's speeches would be the closest comparison I could think of in the real world.

Hate week is an extension of it, but also comprises a lot of the elements of the former USSR May-Day parade. I don't know whether that pre-dates Orwell, but if so, would be a valid comparison. It's pretty much just a team-building exercise with a twist - hatred instead of fun.
    Go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law and repeat after me: "I am free."

Anon

thanks, ill look into may day. Thank you atheist

Quote Originally Posted by kpkriminal View Post
    Ingenuous invention by orwell for people to channel their anger at a common enemy and not the government or has closer ties to stalin and hitler than i believe it does.
    Yes, I would say it like that; there must be a lot of fury and anger in those people so they have to channel it somewhere so it's best for government to use it!
    If you can't stop or avoid something, try to control it.

Maybe Mao was an Orwellian!
    At thunder and tempest, At the world's coldheartedness,
    During times of heavy loss And when you're sad
    The greatest art on earth Is to seem uncomplicatedly gay.

To get things clear, they have to firstly be very unclear. But if you get them too quickly, you probably got them wrong.
    If you need me urgent, send me a PM