Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Women in Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by IWilKikU
    Actually you CAN visit Shakespeare's dreamland. Read some Plutarch and other historians that he had access to. The majority of his plays are based on others' historical writings. Some are what we would consider strait up plagerism today. I think the only plot that he really dreamed (interesting use of languege) is A Midsummer Night's Dream. Sorry Ava, but He hardly had an ounce of creativity in his bones.
    I think you can apreciate creativity in shakespeare without necessarily looking for an original plot. His creativity is so palpable in his characters. Characters like Malvolio and Falstaff are somuch more complex than the role requires. He was pretty good at creating real people instead of characatures or clear villans/heros. Plus if your a huge dork and study the rhyming skemes (kinda a waste of time) he's crazy creative with his use of rhyme/verse/song to convey levels of emotion, and deviances from the rhythm to make thoughts stand out... so he's basically the man

So I'm writting my final paper for shakes class on the evolution of the female character throughout his works (googling the subject brought me here) but I think shakespeare had a hard time writting woman roles that accually seemed like real woman-- I mean he's a genius but woman are kinda hard to get.

He started out with a lot of woman like Joan of Arc who were cool but come on they were basically just men in dresses. Then he had women who where total geniouses but kind of unnaturally perfict, like Portia who waltzes into a court of law and is all of a sudden a sick aturney even though she never went to school. I'm thinking that the most relatable/real women come at the end of his career like Paulina and Hermione in a Winter's Tale.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234