Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Women in Shakespeare

fated loafer
    Perhaps kik has been napped by gnomes of some kind, they seem to have been lurking about lately, it might be time for another uprising.

Right in the happy button IWilKikU's Avatar
    Waynesboro, Virginia. The beautiful Shenandoah Valley
    Well, its true! I still think Shakespeare was the best! But come on, So many of his plays were based on pre-existing stories. And I havn't been kidnapped, the kidnapping gnomes work for ME! They go out and night and steal underpants from unsuspecting underpants victims.
    ...Also baby duck hat would be good for parties.

fated loafer
    Oh no, you don't have any that say "wicked" do you?

Right in the happy button IWilKikU's Avatar
    Waynesboro, Virginia. The beautiful Shenandoah Valley
    I will not say anything that may incriminate my underpants gnomes. They're a hard working bunch and deserve their privacy. Its the least I can do to repay them for the mass quantities of underpants that they provide me with.
    ...Also baby duck hat would be good for parties.

Blog Entries
    *flashback to episode of "friends" where julia roberts/susie makes chandler wear her panties
    shh!!!
    the air and water have been here a long time, and they are telling stories.

fated loafer
    Well at least now I know where all my underwear has been ending up.

Originally posted by IWilKikU
    Well, its true! I still think Shakespeare was the best! But come on, So many of his plays were based on pre-existing stories. And I havn't been kidnapped, the kidnapping gnomes work for ME! They go out and night and steal underpants from unsuspecting underpants victims.
    *Zips lips for fear of transmogrifying into some kind of Kik Groupie* All I'm gonna say is, my Shakespeare teacher must have hated me. I am not a Stratfordian.

And....Why is no one mentioning VIOLA??? She has to be one of the biggest feminist role models in the history of literature. I know, she dressed like a boy to get the respect, but everything she said and did Shakey clearly intended to be all Viola. Especially when compared to the other women we have to choose from -- shrews and nunnish things and airheaded nymphomaniacs. Just look at how Feste spoke to her; he was fooled (no pun intended) by the disguise, but the one scene outside Orsino's when they're alone he treated her with a kind of admiration and curiosity that no one else ever got from him.

*Quietly slips padlock onto her underwear drawer*
    Last edited by emily655321; 04-18-2004 at 10:24 AM.
    If you had to live with this you'd rather lie than fall.
    You think I can't fly? Well, you just watch me!

~The Dresden Dolls

Imogen

As an hombre, I note no one has mentioned Imogen in Cymbeline, who is a lovely character. Also the gal who cuts a deal with the Duke in "All's Well" is rare.

I had a great admiration for Lavinia of Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus, due to her strength throughout everyone violently victimizing her. The thought of her persona seems almost haunting in the play, and I cannot but give the greatest sympathy.
    Another character I loved seems a common one: Titania from A Midsummer Night's Dream. I looked highly upon her strong will, and for just merely being the Queen Fairy.

Memories of Nuremburg... Miss Darcy's Avatar
    A pale blue dot suspended in a sunbeam...
    And....Why is no one mentioning VIOLA??? She has to be one of the biggest feminist role models in the history of literature.
    Yeah, Viola is actually one of my favourite Shakespeare characters...and after her, comes Rosalind. I like the name Rosalind. More if you pronounce the "-lind" part as rhyming with "pinned" instead of "rind" or "mind" or "kind". Though there are rhymes for both in the play itself, I guess they were all pronounc'd the same during the Bard's time.

Fare thee well,

Miss Darcy
    Forgetting this isn't Shakespeare High

After silence, that which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
    -Aldous Huxley

Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius.
    -W. A. Mozart

Non scholae, sed vitae discimus.
    Not school, but life teaches us.

[/FONT]I hope that in claiming Viola for a feminist role model Miss Darcy does not mean the Viola who falls hopelessly in love with Orsino. This is a man so in love with an idea of love that exists nowhere but in his own foetid imagination that he stands as the epitome of narcissicism in a play that is Shakespeare's most intense exporation of the self-obsession and self-delusion of the subject in the grip of conventional love.
    It has for long seemed to me that Shakespeare's sympathies in his later comedies are with the lower (in every respect) characters; that is to say the ones who retain some grasp of the physical necessities of love (as opposed to the Orsinos, Violas, Olivias, and Sebastians of the world for whom everything is "fancy"). If this is true, then the real heroin of the piece is Maria who is the only woman in the play who marries a man she knows.

Memories of Nuremburg... Miss Darcy's Avatar
    A pale blue dot suspended in a sunbeam...
    Quote Originally Posted by Perdito
    [/FONT]I hope that in claiming Viola for a feminist role model Miss Darcy does not mean the Viola who falls hopelessly in love with Orsino.
    I sure do. If you fall in love with someone, it's not your fault! And feminism does not necessarily mean anti-male. Well I guess some are, but I think the essence of feminism is that we are just as good as men are. Not always better, though often that IS the case! - But throughout history the situation of women has been often very hopeless and degraded. Think "obedient Ophelia", suppressed women unable to do anything except cook and clean, tiny feet in China....of course there have been times where women ruled. Venus figurines. Women as authors in Japan (the men were obliged to use female pseudonyms, though in the Western world it was often the other way round). Women scientists (though they obviously had a very hard time of it, and were also repressed)....Listen to some of Viola's speeches to Orsino about women. She argues (as Cesario, of course) that she knows

Too well what love women to men may owe:
    In faith, they are as true of heart as we.
    And that...

We men may say more, swear more: but indeed
    Our shows are more than will; for still we prove
    Much in our vows, but little in our love.
    She is a strong woman, and is respected by all the men in Orsino's house. And surely it is love indeed, which she feels to Orsino, that she is so infatuated in? She loves him, sure, passionately, and fully, and it is equal to any more bodily and normal love of the servants. It is romantic, and sexual at once. The servants simply lack the romance. They are too down-to-earth for that, I think. And don't you love somebody the more, if you don't know them, if you have only just met them?...Then you can idealise, then you can sigh, then you can be attracted to them. If you know somebody all your life, or at least for a long time, there is no mystery in passion, and usually no idealism which is the very essence of love.

It is true that Orsino was "in love with the idea of love", and more passionate about his anguish, than with his love herself. It is not real love, mere infatuation. To Cesario he feels something completely different. He doesn't want to admit to himself...that he has fallen in love with a "boy".

Those are some of my thoughts...sorry if I have bored anyone...

Miss Darcy
    Last edited by Miss Darcy; 03-02-2005 at 03:19 AM.

After silence, that which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
    -Aldous Huxley

Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius.
    -W. A. Mozart

Non scholae, sed vitae discimus.
    Not school, but life teaches us.

Talking Here's 2!

Positive women characters are endless in Shakespeare, it all depends on how you look at their roles in the drama. Take Rosalind in As you like it, she's a positive guide for Celia, Orlando, Phoebe, and Silvius. She teaches them all what love is and how to respect it, even though she does it in her male counterpart. Despite the fact that she is pretending to be a man, her feminity guides her in producing the role that so many of this play's characters look up to! Not only do you have Rosalind that is a positive female figure, but what Hotspur's wife in Titus? Lady Percy promotes the softer side of Hotspur, sure she may be a pistol with him at times, but she does tone down the warrior and turn up the romantic. So, what if she's not the good guy's wife?!? Her role is still a positive one!
    Bookworm

Quote Originally Posted by simon
    Desdemona was and unknowing, ignorant lovesick sap and Juliet was an obsessed child, good characters but not women to model yourselfe after.
    Desdemona is one I could relate with because her undoing has nothing really to do with her, she is the hapless victim of a man's jealousy.
    Slow down everyone, you're moving too fast.
    -Jack Johnson

Hi, everybody

Quote Originally Posted by IWilKikU
    Actually you CAN visit Shakespeare's dreamland. Read some Plutarch and other historians that he had access to. The majority of his plays are based on others' historical writings. Some are what we would consider strait up plagerism today. I think the only plot that he really dreamed (interesting use of languege) is A Midsummer Night's Dream. Sorry Ava, but He hardly had an ounce of creativity in his bones.

I couldn't agree with you more that his plays are based on other people's historical writings, and that Sh shows no creativity in that field, but his creativity lies in the way he presented them. One can see from his plays that Sh had an understanding of human nature, motives, of cause and effect of human actions. The actual story isn't as important as the way you tell it.
    At least that's my impression/opinion

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast