Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Women in Shakespeare

15 miles or so north of the city of london

Women in Shakespeare

Are there any women characters in Shakespeare that paint a positive picture? Are there any you can identify with?
    Faith is believing what you know ain't so - Mark Twain

The preachers deal with men of straw, as they are men of straw themselves - Henry David Thoreau

The way to see faith is to shut the eye of reason - Benjamin Franklin

The teaching of the church, theoretically astute, is a lie in practice and a compound of vulgar superstitions and sorcery - Leo Tolstoy

Blog Entries
    I can totally identify with Katherine in Taming of the Shrew. I was shrill and bossy in my twenties, and her reversal at end of the play meshes with me now.

Are there any feminists ready to kill me ?
    shh!!!
    the air and water have been here a long time, and they are telling stories.

15 miles or so north of the city of london
    Oh dear, amuse, really, how could you? A group of feminists netsurfers are probably on their way to your place this very moment, to drag you out of your home and force you to see a production of the Vagina Monologues.
    Faith is believing what you know ain't so - Mark Twain

The preachers deal with men of straw, as they are men of straw themselves - Henry David Thoreau

The way to see faith is to shut the eye of reason - Benjamin Franklin

The teaching of the church, theoretically astute, is a lie in practice and a compound of vulgar superstitions and sorcery - Leo Tolstoy

Yep. Oh, we are going to get you now. We now where you live.
    And you to, AP.
    "Man was made for joy and woe;
    And when this we rightly know
    Through the world we safely go" Blake

Right in the happy button IWilKikU's Avatar
    Waynesboro, Virginia. The beautiful Shenandoah Valley
    I thought that Hypolita was a strong woman character. In a time when women were supposed to be quiet and virtueous ect. she proved she could be just as degenerate as Oberon.

uh...

After thinking a bit more, I would like you to just disregard that. I guess in the big picture she DID fall in love with an *** (donkey incase thats cencered), and than she thought it was a good trick rather than being mad about it.
    What about...

uh...

nevermind.
    ...Also baby duck hat would be good for parties.

Re: Women in Shakespeare

Originally posted by atiguhya padma
    Are there any women characters in Shakespeare that paint a positive picture? Are there any you can identify with?
    There are. Desdemona, obviously, Cordelia, Portia, to name a few.
    Ningún hombre llega a ser lo que es por lo que escribe, sino por lo que lee.
    - Jorge Luis Borges

To identify with? definitely Helena, I am as love-lost as she!
    Raven

I just finished writing a paper on Juliet and how her isolation affected her thoughout the play. I was surprised to realize how strong she was! Despite the fact that she committed suicide, she is definately a role model!
    Hwæt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/Þeodcuninga þrum gefrunon,/hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,/ monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syððan ærest wearð/ feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,/ oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs god cyning!

Right in the happy button IWilKikU's Avatar
    Waynesboro, Virginia. The beautiful Shenandoah Valley
    Originally posted by Helena_of_verona

Though I force myself to identify with Helena. She's the perfect character.
    Uhh, I thought Helen was a terrible character to use as a role model. She unconditionally loves this guy who doesn't give two craps about her. He still wouldn't love her if it wern't for Oberon's juice. That's misplaced devotion. Why is she a perfect character? I thought she was pathetic and winey.
    ...Also baby duck hat would be good for parties.

fated loafer
    Desdemona was and unknowing, ignorant lovesick sap and Juliet was an obsessed child, good characters but not women to model yourselfe after.

Potia is probably the female character the paints the most "positive image" in my opinion

Originally posted by Blade
    Potia is probably the female character the paints the most "positive image" in my opinion
    I hope your not talking about Brutus' Portia! Hot coals down the throat! That kind of reminds me of my grandma's coffee drinking habits!

I like Portia of the Merchant of Venice. A very strong woman!

Simon, Juliet was obsessed with Romeo, but still kept her ability to reason. She was much more level-headed than he was. Just before she meets him at the balcony scene, her rationale proves her to be the only smart Capulet, in that she's the only one who won't hate someone simply because of his name. If you ask me, it's the rest of her family that has a wild uncontrolled obsession.
    Hwæt! We Gar-Dena in geardagum,/Þeodcuninga þrum gefrunon,/hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
    Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,/ monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,/ egsode eorlas, syððan ærest wearð/ feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,/ weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,/ oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra/ofer hronrade hyran scolde,/gomban gyldan. Þæt wæs god cyning!

Oh, i haven't read any works of Shakespeare, coz' it's so difficult to me. but i have read a lot of translated copies of his works. I hope to read the original works asap.
    If winter comes, can spring be far behind?

Footnotes are a big key in understanding Shakespeare! Sometimes they can be annoying, because you think you understand a word or a line, and you look at the footnote to see if there's something you didn't know, but it's just what you thought. But other times, they can really help you understand what going on by giving insight into the text or even the time period of either the play or Shakepeare himself.

Originally posted by Shea
    I hope your not talking about Brutus' Portia! Hot coals down the throat! That kind of reminds me of my grandma's coffee drinking habits!

I like Portia of the Merchant of Venice. A very strong woman!

yes, i'm sorry i didnt clarify, i did mean Portia from the merchant of venice

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast