Page 5 of 94 FirstFirst 123456789101555 ... LastLast

Thread: Form Poem Contest

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolescent09 View Post
    I’m sorry Niamh. I am not well acquainted with both the Petrarchan (never even heard of it) or Shakespearian styles but I will try my best to write a poem which conveys a similar style (in rhyme, stanza length and syllables) to the one you have quoted. (I think your quoted poem sounds lovely )

Black Streets Stalk Peter

In the celerity of sunset’s death,
    Young Adam flips stones ‘till the pit-pit-patter,
    echos beyond stillness of moonlight’s breath,
    and makes the milky, white dots supremely fatter.
    Young Ike wants wings to transcend the moon
    But dreams don’t grow on blackened roots for flight.
    His low muttering provides somber tune
    as shiftless feet glide mossy stones of night

Peter’s clamor breaks the liquified calms,
    as improvisational crows chase his feet.
    The sleepers are too tired to have qualms,
    so High Pitch River floods the street.
    He turns lanes, hits a pole, streaking scarlet
    It might've been worse if he had struck a harlot
    Actually Adol what you did was a Miltonic and Shakespearian sonnet Which is fine, I'll accept that. As a Miltonic is a slightly modified Petrarchan sonnet.
    I think its a wonderful Poem, but your last two lines need to conclude the intire poem as opposed to just the last quatrain. Weldone! (although your last two lines had me in stitches!)
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"
    Artemins Fowl and the Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer

my poems-please comment Forum Rules

Not politically correct Pendragon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation

Sonnet For the Ripper

In Whitechapel darkness a shadow would slink,
    Who must have been able to pass as a toff;
    Searching for fallen angels who had too much to drink—
    Then out came the sharp blades as he sliced this or that off.
    Some give the number of victims as low as just four,
    While others claim as many as a dozen or so—
    Cut down in the darkness, dissected, the blood gushing poured,
    But the identity of Jack the Ripper is something no one knows—

Drop off another dispatch to the old post, now me luv—
    Written in red ink since the proper red stuff has congealed!
    Hee-hee! Bet I give the Inspector the fits with this stuff!
    Could he but read between the lines, what secrets would be revealed!
    But come now, Mary, don’t rise, stay flat off your back:
    As you must! Hee-hee! Here’s a toast to saucy old Jack!

Pendragon
    © 4/30/07
    Some of us laugh
    Some of us cry
    Some of us smoke
    Some of us lie
    But it's all just the way
    that we cope with our lives...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post

Sonnet For the Ripper

In Whitechapel darkness a shadow would slink,
    Who must have been able to pass as a toff;
    Searching for fallen angels who had too much to drink—
    Then out came the sharp blades as he sliced this or that off.
    Some give the number of victims as low as just four,
    While others claim as many as a dozen or so—
    Cut down in the darkness, dissected, the blood gushing poured,
    But the identity of Jack the Ripper is something no one knows—

Drop off another dispatch to the old post, now me luv—
    Written in red ink since the proper red stuff has congealed!
    Hee-hee! Bet I give the Inspector the fits with this stuff!
    Could he but read between the lines, what secrets would be revealed!
    But come now, Mary, don’t rise, stay flat off your back:
    As you must! Hee-hee! Here’s a toast to saucy old Jack!

Pendragon
    © 4/30/07
    Weldone Pen! You handled the form well!
    "Come away O human child!To the waters of the wild, With a faery hand in hand, For the worlds more full of weeping than you can understand."
    W.B.Yeats

"If it looks like a Dwarf and smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf (or a latrine wearing dungarees)"

in angulo cum libro Petrarch's Love's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Niamh--I'm a tad confused. The poem you posted just looks like a Shakespearean sonnet to me, apart from the fact that it's formated on the page into eight and six lines. Are you saying the Petrarchan part is just that the volta occurs after the eighth line, or am I missing something?

"In rime sparse il suono/ di quei sospiri ond' io nudriva 'l core/ in sul mio primo giovenile errore"~ Francesco Petrarca
    "Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."~ Jane Austen

Blog Entries
    Well usually a petrarchan is one octave split into two quadrains and one sestet that contains 'info' in the first three lines and conludes in the last three. both the octave and the sestet deal with different thoughts or issues of the poems subject. With a shakespearian the sonnet is separated into three quadrains and one concluding couplet. Each quadrain deals with somethoughs and the couplet concludes the poem.
    In the peom i posted the Poet Patrick Kavanagh has laid out the poem in the octave and sestet form of the petrarchan, one issue in one and another in the other. But He also splits it up into the quadrains and couplet of a shakespearian. so instead of there being 'three forms of thought' there are only two and then it is concluded.
    does that make any sense?
    W.B.Yeats

Blog Entries
    Yes, actually I'm very familiar with both forms. I was confused by what you meant because technically the Kavanagh poem is really a quatrain and couplet at the end, which isn't really a sestet in the traditional sense. Also, it isn't at all unusual for there to be a shift in idea after the second quatrain in a Shakespearean sonnet (this shift is usually referred to as the turn, or the volta). However, placing the volta after the eight line and formatting the poem on the page in this way are doubtless part of the Petrarchan influence on the Shakespearean form, so I see what you mean. I was just unsure as to whether there was somthing else Petrarchan about it that I wasn't seeing. Sorry about the nitpicking (blame the professor in me). I'll hush up now and go write some poetry.

"In rime sparse il suono/ di quei sospiri ond' io nudriva 'l core/ in sul mio primo giovenile errore"~ Francesco Petrarca
    "Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can."~ Jane Austen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrarch's Love View Post
    Yes, actually I'm very familiar with both forms. I was confused by what you meant because technically the Kavanagh poem is really a quatrain and couplet at the end, which isn't really a sestet in the traditional sense. Also, it isn't at all unusual for there to be a shift in idea after the second quatrain in a Shakespearean sonnet (this shift is usually referred to as the turn, or the volta). However, placing the volta after the eight line and formatting the poem on the page in this way are doubtless part of the Petrarchan influence on the Shakespearean form, so I see what you mean. I was just unsure as to whether there was somthing else Petrarchan about it that I wasn't seeing. Sorry about the nitpicking (blame the professor in me). I'll hush up now and go write some poetry.
    when i was writing the last post i kept on forgetting terminologies. But i hope you understand what i meant. I had to study this poem in depth for my leaving certificate seven years ago and my teacher went into a lot af detail about this sonnet and its use of two forms.
    W.B.Yeats

Blog Entries
    when i was writing the last post i kept on forgetting terminologies. But i hope you understand what i meant. I had to study this poem in depth for my leaving certificate seven years ago and my teacher went into a lot af detail about this sonnet and its use of two forms.
    No worries. I think we're all clear. The Kavanagh must have been fun to look at in depth. It's a wonderful poem.

Blog Entries
    Are you going to try the form Petrarch now that you get the gist?
    W.B.Yeats

Blog Entries
    Yes indeed, but I've got to slog through some student papers first.

Blog Entries
    cant wait to read your contrabution!
    W.B.Yeats

Blog Entries
    So anyone else going to write a poem in the form? any takers? or have i somewhat killed the thread?
    W.B.Yeats

seasonably mediocre Il Penseroso's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It is a hard one, for me any rhyme scheme is. I'll try though, when I get some free time. Good choice.
    and somehow a dog
    has taken itself & its tail considerably away
    into the mountains or sea or sky, leaving
    behind: me, wag.
    - John Berryman

Blog Entries
    No, you haven't killed the thread Niamh. We're just all busy thinking, and we've got until the 29th right?

Blog Entries
    Yep. you all have till the 29th.
    Goodluck everyone. Hope i havent made things too difficult for you all by choosing this one!
    W.B.Yeats