Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wickham vs Darcy

Though it's not stated outright,
    many people believe Darcy paid Wickham 10,000 pounds,
    besides paying off his debts.

I refer you to a previous post of mine on this subject:
    http://www.online-literature.com/for...9&postcount=74
    Last edited by sciencefan; 04-06-2007 at 03:29 PM. Reason: add link

Yes, I couldn't think of the direct amount/quote off the top of my head and I wrote it in a hurry and didn't read your post properly.

A farthing was a quarter of an old penny i.e. the smallest denomination of coinage possible.
    Last edited by Blackjack Davy; 04-06-2007 at 04:14 PM.

Keep The Faith!
    Did anyone notice that in the movie Wickham was totally annoyed by Lydia after they were married???? Even though he was a jerk he could have done sooooo much better than Lydia. Mr. Darcy came across as extremely serious and he really didn't want to have anything to do with anyone that he didn't know. I find it rather amusing that he didn't want to dance with Elizabeth when Bingley told him to and then he ended up marrying her.

darcys-tango
    Wockham and Darcy:

The real difference is in each character's honesty. Even before Wickham arrived in the Meryton scene he had a reputation as a womaniser, drinker and gambler, leaving debts in his wake everywhere he went. His character in public was just an act, a charade and, as such, a total deception. Add to that, his account of his dealings with Darcy were totally untrue, making him also a liar.

Darcy was an honest man. Brutally so in as much as he spoke the truth whether it hurt to hear it or not. ( "Disguise in any form is my abhorance") His problem was a class one, a sense of superiority forged of his upbringing as a rich man's son. " I was given good principles but allowed to follow them in pride and conceit" were his own words. Apart from his initial foolishness in dismissing Elizabeth without even meeting her, and his clumsiness in expressing his proposal, he showed no real faults in the story. His sister adored him and his housekeeper praised him to the skies. Both were closer to him than any others.

The comparison of the two, given all the facts, places them miles apart in character.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12