Page 1381 of 1381 FirstFirst ... 381881128113311371137613771378137913801381
Results 20,701 to 20,707 of 20707

Thread: Game: Ask the Person Below You

SF or English classics. Don't make me choose.

The choice is related to how many good examples are still unread by me. People are writing good SF still and I have barely skimmed the most loved of what is called the classics. There are at least a years worth of lesser known work to be probed.

What steps are you taking to reduce your "footprint?

I wonder how much of a market there would be for mash-up type books that combine genres.

things like that started for me back in the 80s when I became a vegetarian. I eat low on the food chain, I put more miles on my bike than on my car, I always recycle (though some of that is questionable), ive planted trees, and outside of food, used books and transportation necessities, I don't buy much.

have you ever written the author's of any books you've read?

As I read, I write the sort of letter you're talking about. In my head. So that it becomes a sort of conversation. But I have never actually put pen to paper.

Have you ever deliberately destroyed a book? Why?

ive sent emails to a handful of authors. a few have written back, at least one didn't, which I was surprised. if you have ever read a stuart woods book. he actually invites readers to write him and promises to write back. kinda neat.

mayyyyyyyyybe but I don't recollect for sure. if I have, it might have been some poor old little fellow that has been eaten by mice, or gotten water damaged beyond redemption. however, just recently I was sorta joking, but not really, at my local thrift store because their shelves are filled with romances. I said I was tempted to buy them all just so something worth reading could be fill the shelves, and im pretty confident all the romance novels would have ended up in the recycling bin!

sometimes do you peruse/browse/skim large sections because the author is dawdling and you just want the story to move forward? or do you suffer through the blah blah blah?

Quote Originally Posted by bounty View Post
    mayyyyyyyyybe but I don't recollect for sure. if I have, it might have been some poor old little fellow that has been eaten by mice, or gotten water damaged beyond redemption. however, just recently I was sorta joking, but not really, at my local thrift store because their shelves are filled with romances. I said I was tempted to buy them all just so something worth reading could be fill the shelves, and im pretty confident all the romance novels would have ended up in the recycling bin!

sometimes do you peruse/browse/skim large sections because the author is dawdling and you just want the story to move forward? or do you suffer through the blah blah blah?
    I have occasionally volunteered at my local op shop. It breaks my heart the number of books that get recycled (and sometimes just sent to landfill, even worse) because of various policies of the organisation. I can't house,or afford, them all and I do understand that the place would be filled with books within the year if they didn't do it, but still. At least I don't have your problem. The Mills and Boons are the first in the bin.

On occasion, the blah acquires a rhythm or winds up painting a picture or conceals a gem, so I suffer. Sometimes gladly.

What do you do about ant nests?

I skipped a whole short story in the book im reading just last night because of this very thing!

I use wood to heat my house, and ants commonly build nests in the wood itself, or under the bark, and im constantly trying to give them the opportunity to set up shop elsewhere. its especially easy to do when they have eggs because they are very eager to protect them.

what otherwise little known book have you read that you consider a gem?

A Canticle for Leibowitz. Walter M. Miller.

Same question.